• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rick Perry

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score
:rulz:

WASHINGTON — When President-elect Donald J. Trump offered Rick Perry the job of energy secretary five weeks ago, Mr. Perry gladly accepted, believing he was taking on a role as a global ambassador for the American oil and gas industry that he had long championed in his home state.

In the days after, Mr. Perry, the former Texas governor, discovered that he would be no such thing — that in fact, if confirmed by the Senate, he would become the steward of a vast national security complex he knew almost nothing about, caring for the most fearsome weapons on the planet, the United States’ nuclear arsenal.

Two-thirds of the agency’s annual $30 billion budget is devoted to maintaining, refurbishing and keeping safe the nation’s nuclear stockpile; thwarting nuclear proliferation; cleaning up and rebuilding an aging constellation of nuclear production facilities; and overseeing national laboratories that are considered the crown jewels of government science.

“If you asked him on that first day he said yes, he would have said, ‘I want to be an advocate for energy,’” said Michael McKenna, a Republican energy lobbyist who advised Mr. Perry’s 2016 presidential campaign and worked on the Trump transition’s Energy Department team in its early days. “If you asked him now, he’d say, ‘I’m serious about the challenges facing the nuclear complex.’ It’s been a learning curve.”

Mr. Perry, who once called for the elimination of the Energy Department, will begin the confirmation process Thursday with a hearing before the Senate Energy Committee. If approved by the Senate, he will take over from a secretary, Ernest J. Moniz, who was chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics department and directed the linear accelerator at M.I.T.’s Laboratory for Nuclear Science. Before Mr. Moniz, the job belonged to Steven Chu, a physicist who won a Nobel Prize.

For Mr. Moniz, the future of nuclear science has been a lifelong obsession; he spent his early years working at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. Mr. Perry studied animal husbandry and led cheers at Texas A&M University.

Mr. Moniz had such deep experience with nuclear weapons that in 2015, President Obama made him a co-negotiator, along with Secretary of State John Kerry, of the Iran nuclear deal.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if Perry "knew nothing" about the nuclear weapons establishment. One of the large parts of it is located in Texas, and the governor is aware of major employers in his state.

I would be surprised if Perry "knew nothing" about the nuclear weapons establishment. One of the large parts of it is located in Texas, and the governor is aware of major employers in his state.

Of course he is aware of it but that doesn't mean he's qualified to meet the roles and responsibility of the job.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/politics/rick-perry-hearing-energy-department/index.html

Washington (CNN)Rick Perry once famously forgot that the Energy Department was on the list of government agencies he would like to shut down. On Thursday, Perry will ask a group of senators for their approval to lead the organization, stating that he regrets calling for the agency's elimination.

"My past statements made over five years ago about abolishing the Department of Energy do not reflect my current thinking," Perry will say, according to an advance copy of his opening statement. "In fact, after being briefed on so many of the vital functions of the Department of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination."

"My past statements made over five years ago about abolishing the Department of Energy do not reflect my current thinking, upon being nominated to head the agency. I now regret recommending its elimination because there would then be no department for me to lead."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/politics/rick-perry-hearing-energy-department/index.html

Washington (CNN)Rick Perry once famously forgot that the Energy Department was on the list of government agencies he would like to shut down. On Thursday, Perry will ask a group of senators for their approval to lead the organization, stating that he regrets calling for the agency's elimination.

"My past statements made over five years ago about abolishing the Department of Energy do not reflect my current thinking," Perry will say, according to an advance copy of his opening statement. "In fact, after being briefed on so many of the vital functions of the Department of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination."

He just basically said, "when I said I wanted to eliminate the department, I had no idea what the hell I was even talking about".

I'm guessing the most he would know is how many people it employs. How much would the Governor of MA/CA/WA know about how the technology industries work?

I think he's kind of a twat and I disagree with Rick Perry on a LOT (almost everything) politically, but his nomination is less troubling to me than others. Obviously he's going to have a partisan slant and that's worrisome in its own right given the potential implications for balancing growth and environmental concerns (assuming he's more likely to favor business/growth), but you can tell he's at least putting effort in to understand his role and what the department actually does... a far cry from 2011.

this is amaaaaazing

al franken gets the floor and he goes
i hope you enjoyed meeting me or some shit like that
(as in the private meeting perry had w/ everyone on this committee)
and rick perry goes
Well I hope I enjoy you here as much as I enjoyed you on your couch
[pause]
everyone in the room loses it
rick almost fell out of his chair laughing.
al franken was like OH BOY
rick's like, can i rephrase that?
al's like, yes please

Al should have been like I liked you too big boy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Funny how ignorance gives someone wrong opinions.
I was driving to work yesterday morning and one of the morning shows was talking about global warming. One guy said "125k years ago it was the same temperature!" and that was enough data points to convince the other host humans have no effect.

he will take over from a secretary, Ernest J. Moniz, who was chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics department and directed the linear accelerator at M.I.T.’s Laboratory for Nuclear Science. Before Mr. Moniz, the job belonged to Steven Chu, a physicist who won a Nobel Prize.

Highest. IQ. Of. Any. Cabinet. EVER.

Back