• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Coach Knight

wait....bobknightfan is dead? I play this nerdy simulation baseball game on a website and one of the guys on there is named bobknightfan so I always assumed it was the same guy.
Is that stratomtic?

as someone born in the late 80s, I never saw any good Knight teams

he was always a guy with mediocre teams living off his legacy

I mean even at TT he still had 5 20+ win seasons and 4 NCAA apperances.

as someone born in the late 80s, I never saw any good Knight teams

he was always a guy with mediocre teams living off his legacy

I was born in the late 70s and grew up in upstate NY... My introduction to Knight was the national championship game in 1987 where Keith Smart hit the jumper to beat Syracuse. Most everyone I grew up with was a Syracuse fan, but I hated them. So I really enjoyed that shot and most certainly reenacted it a few times in the driveway.

I always enjoyed Knight because he had an interesting personality. And in reading the Bilas column, I was reminded that he was a man with a very tough exterior that was wrestling with a lot of emotion internally. And I have to imagine that he didn't know how to deal with that (nor that it was OK to). Not making excuses for him... He was clearly an asshole at times. But I'll remember him as one of those larger than life kind of people from my youth... He left an impression on me that others from his era did not (Boeheim, Calhoun... even Dean Smith).

You’d have to go to another Ohio State personna to find a bigger asshole in college sports

I used to have this discussion with my friends - would you let your son play for Bobby Knight?
No. He was a brilliant coach and highly intelligent as a person. But he was an abusive asshole as a person to the point where I think he'd qualify for 1 of the personality disorders on the DSM5 - most likely paranoid personality disorder. He made Brian Kelly look like John Wooden by comparison.

I have mixed feelings on Bobby knight as I guess most people do . Ultimately I land on this…. He demanded things from his players that he did not demand from himself.
I am as much as an IU basketball junkie as you will find and I attended IU while Knight was still winning and this post gets it exactly right. He was a brilliant coach and had many admirable traits but he was a bully and an enormous hypocrite.

I met a former Indiana player for Knight several years ago and I am drawing a blank on his name. He was a post player. But anyway he absolutely adored Knight and said he not only learned how to play basketball the right way from Knight but he felt he made him into a man. He was glad he played for him. I'm sure there are plenty of his players who didn't like him for sure.

I have mixed feelings on Bobby knight as I guess most people do . Ultimately I land on this…. He demanded things from his players that he did not demand from himself.
At the same time, like him or not, Knight managed to be the best in his profession in two interrelated fields, college basketball coach and college basketball commentator. That's truly amazing and far greater accomplishments than any of his critics can even dream of.

Back