• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Col. Bruce Hampton

My neighbors went to that concert last night... Can't wait to ask them if they stuck around until the end. That's crazy.

Yeah, I said this on the Chat Thread, but I was there. Front row balcony. He was down for what seemed like 5 minutes before they took him off and pulled the curtain. Sad, surreal, and strange. But the show was awesome and he looked like he was having a blast. I have not watched it back but, live, it was weird.

I can't really blame the musicians for not stopping to tend to him. I saw ARU in 2015 and he "collapsed" on stage only to have the music "revive" him after a minute or so.

I can't really blame the musicians for not stopping to tend to him. I saw ARU in 2015 and he "collapsed" on stage only to have the music "revive" him after a minute or so.

This is what the crowd and the musicians assumed was happening. He had called the young prodigy out for a solo with Popper and everyone thought he was going to rise up. It wasn't until Jimmy and/or Trucks peered in on him that everyone started to get a bad feeling.

Col was/Is an inspiration to many of the greats. Losing Butch Trucks and now Col. is a tough pill to swallow. 2016 bad death vibes have carried into this year. RIP

Col was/Is an inspiration to many of the greats. Losing Butch Trucks and now Col. is a tough pill to swallow. 2016 bad death vibes have carried into this year. RIP

tough year for the Trucks family. Derek saw the Col. as a huge inspiration in his life, getting him on the right path young. He played a good portion of last night's show. There was a young kid at the end -- Taz something or other -- who I think was the next kid the Col. was mentoring. He collapsed just after telling the kid to solo.

I was in New York a month or so ago and we went to see School of Rock on Broadway. That young kid Taz was the star of that show on Broadway. He didn't get to really play his tail off until toward the end, but you could tell he was special especially for his age. And he is a good little actor too, and has the "it" factor - lots of charisma and style.

The "who" tag is pretty dumb. If you don't know who Col. Bruce is, you most likely listen to objectively terrible music.

#humblebragAnecdote a band I had in college got to open for Col Bruce and a band he had sorta after ARU at Klondike Cafe in Boone in the 90s, can't remember the name. The drummer borrowed my kit because he didn't want to unload his and played it so hard he cracked a crash cymbal, but was an unreal drummer. They asked us where to get cocaine and where the titty bars were (there were none in Boone had to go to Johnson City TN).

oh and RIP Col Bruice was cool.

I still listen to this one here and there:

Last edited:
The Aquarium Rescue Unit is one of the greatest bands that most people have never heard of:

Herring Oteil, The Col and Jeff Sipe! What a collection of musical talent.

The Aquarium Rescue Unit is one of the greatest bands that most people have never heard of:

Herring Oteil, The Col and Jeff Sipe! What a collection of musical talent.

yep. am glad I was able to see them in 2015 in DC when they toured for their 26th anniversary -- a very Colonel-like thing to do. Got to meet Oteil and he was super friendly. Was disappointed there was a relatively small crowd at the venue, considering there was a big Panic/Dead/Allmans following in town and they usually sold out shows.

Hampton came to Asheville several times since I moved here last summer, but I never saw him. Was thinking I might catch him next time he rolled through, but, sadly, that won't happen.

#humblebragAnecdote a band I had in college got to open for Col Bruce and a band he had sorta after ARU at Klondike Cafe in Boone in the 90s, can't remember the name. The drummer borrowed my kit because he didn't want to unload his and played it so hard he cracked a crash cymbal, but was an unreal drummer. They asked us where to get cocaine and where the titty bars were (there were none in Boone had to go to Johnson City TN).

oh and RIP Col Bruice was cool.

I still listen to this one here and there:

Something like Col bruce Hampton and the Fiji Mariners

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

yep. am glad I was able to see them in 2015 in DC when they toured for their 26th anniversary -- a very Colonel-like thing to do. Got to meet Oteil and he was super friendly. Was disappointed there was a relatively small crowd at the venue, considering there was a big Panic/Dead/Allmans following in town and they usually sold out shows.

Hampton came to Asheville several times since I moved here last summer, but I never saw him. Was thinking I might catch him next time he rolled through, but, sadly, that won't happen.
I saw that tour in Raleigh. Branford Marsalis sat in most of the show and oteil's brother kofi as well

Something like Col bruce Hampton and the Fiji Mariners

yeah that might have been it. drummer was a middle-aged black guy. just an unreal drummer in the same league as Apartment 2Q58

Back