• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP director Tony Scott

i've always been fascinated (probably not the right word) at people that commit suicide from jumping from a bridge. maybe it is more of a sure thing than i would figure, but is there any chance that you don't die from a fall like that? do you have to go head first? i'd try and look stuff up but i don't want to get a call from our corporate counselors thinking that i'm suicidal. can anyone provide some deets on this?

people jump off the golden gate all the time and survive. i think most die though, not sure on the %s but its survivable and thats a big bridge.

i've always been fascinated (probably not the right word) at people that commit suicide from jumping from a bridge. maybe it is more of a sure thing than i would figure, but is there any chance that you don't die from a fall like that? do you have to go head first? i'd try and look stuff up but i don't want to get a call from our corporate counselors thinking that i'm suicidal. can anyone provide some deets on this?

Most people die. From the few who survive, purportedly and it is like 3rd hand info, almost all of them state something like "I regretted jumping right after I left the bridge." As in the process of jumping was a relief, but once they were in the air, they immediately wanted to LIVE and not smash into frigid water and die.

that would make sense. Since he was a rock climber, I'm surprised he didn't go on a free climb somewhere over water. I think that would be better than jumping off a bridge. I think the advantage of water is the force knocks you the fuck out but if it doesn't kill you, drowning will.

climbing_railey_beach3.jpg

Last edited:
the wiki entry on the golden gate bridge is very informative WRT suicide by bridge jumping.

i've always been fascinated (probably not the right word) at people that commit suicide from jumping from a bridge.

How fascinated would you say you are? Like, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "I wonder if this milk has expired" and 10 being "What happens to us after we die?", where does your fascination level fall? If it's above a 4 or 5, I think we may have a problem. Like, if you often wake up at night and you can't fall back asleep because you're thinking about whether your head could detach from your body if you hit the water at a slight angle, I think you may need to talk to someone.

yeah, fascinated pretty much implies a level of interest above 7 or 8 which is why i didn't like that word from the get go. i'd probably put it more like a 2 or 3. just below the level i get to when watching a "what ever happened to <insert random celebrity>" type show. interest is piqued, but i've never taken it to next-level type questions (e.g. would my head detach from my body if i hit the water at the right angle). although typing this post has led me to wonder several other questions. they are pretty dark and should probably only be shared in a professional setting. wonder if 1-800-CHARTER is still around. they had pretty convincing commercials. probably would just hook me up with the shitty cable provider.

bmoneydeac, I think we'd all benefit if you could list the top 15-20 things that fascinate you about jumping off bridges. Feel free to use subparts, if necessary.

If you want to ensure death, I suggest jumping off of rjkarl's ego. Its the only way to be safe.

I would totally jump off bridges into water if I was gonna live and be okay. That would be fun.

There was an old bridge we used to jump off in NoVA. The big tradition was to go after each 2 a day for football. Always made the freshmen/sophs go first.

There was an old bridge we used to jump off in NoVA. The big tradition was to go after each 2 a day for football. Always made the freshmen/sophs go first.

where at?

bmoneydeac, I think we'd all benefit if you could list the top 15-20 things that fascinate you about jumping off bridges. Feel free to use subparts, if necessary.

i'm at work, so i can't quite expound like i'd prefer to. the thing that has me hung up the most deals with animals and suicide. does this ever happen? could a bird legit jump off a bridge or would their little bird brains cause them to start flying before hitting the water? also do birds watch humans jump off the bridge and think wtf is he doing, he can't fly.

Back