• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Earl Weaver

The 1970 Os top three pitchers won 68 games, completed 54 and pitched nearly 900 innings. Weaver would be run out of the coutnry for trying that today.

It was also one of the greatest fielding teams of all time.

And he must have gone to his grave still wondering what the hell happened in the World Series the year before with the exact same team.

And he must have gone to his grave still wondering what the hell happened in the World Series the year before with the exact same team.

And the following year against the Pirates when he had 4 20 game winners in Palmer, McNally, Cuellar and Dobson. And yes, those teams were excellent defensively and could hit some too. I never did, however, buy into Earl's seemingly complete disdain for hit and runs and stealing bases. But he was 1 colorful SOB.

It was pretty cool being a kid who was a huge sports fan in Balmur in the 1970s. Plenty of idols - Brooks, Frank, Palmer, McNally, Boog (then Eddie), Unitas (then Bert Jones), Bubba, Curtis.... And I had granddads who would take me to occasional Os and Colts games - my favorite thing in the world as a kid - most memorable was the ghost to the post playoff loss to the Raiders. Also used to listen to games on the radio (not every game was televised back in pre-cable days), and both the Os and Colts had Chuck Thompson doing play by play. Before my time, they had Artie Donovan doing color for Colts games, but after hearing Thompson talk about some of what Donovan said on air, Artie prolly became a legal liability after a while.

As for Stan the Man Unusual, yeah, that man was maddening to watch, but he usually got it done.

And the following year against the Pirates when he had 4 20 game winners in Palmer, McNally, Cuellar and Dobson. And yes, those teams were excellent defensively and could hit some too. I never did, however, buy into Earl's seemingly complete disdain for hit and runs and stealing bases. But he was 1 colorful SOB.

It was pretty cool being a kid who was a huge sports fan in Balmur in the 1970s. Plenty of idols - Brooks, Frank, Palmer, McNally, Boog (then Eddie), Unitas (then Bert Jones), Bubba, Curtis.... And I had granddads who would take me to occasional Os and Colts games - my favorite thing in the world as a kid - most memorable was the ghost to the post playoff loss to the Raiders. Also used to listen to games on the radio (not every game was televised back in pre-cable days), and both the Os and Colts had Chuck Thompson doing play by play. Before my time, they had Artie Donovan doing color for Colts games, but after hearing Thompson talk about some of what Donovan said on air, Artie prolly became a legal liability after a while.

As for Stan the Man Unusual, yeah, that man was maddening to watch, but he usually got it done.

Those were great teams.

One thing I was not impressed with was the old Memorial Stadium. I was only there once, in about 1990. It was kind of a dump. I remember thinking this is the place where those great Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Jim Palmer teams played??

Those were great teams.

One thing I was not impressed with was the old Memorial Stadium. I was only there once, in about 1990. It was kind of a dump. I remember thinking this is the place where those great Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Jim Palmer teams played??

Old Memorial was a huge dump. It was a shell with aluminum benches. And it apparently had the worst visitors' locker room in sports - apparently few shower heads and only 1 toilet. But it was loud. Much louder for baseball than Camden with half the fans. It was a place to go see a ballgame rather than a place that was part of the event. Which I preferred. A lot of great memories there.

Old Memorial was a huge dump. It was a shell with aluminum benches. And it apparently had the worst visitors' locker room in sports - apparently few shower heads and only 1 toilet. But it was loud. Much louder for baseball than Camden with half the fans. It was a place to go see a ballgame rather than a place that was part of the event. Which I preferred. A lot of great memories there.

Never went to Memorial for baseball, only for football 1 game, but I find this hard to believe. In the ALDS game 2 Camden had decibels of 125, easily the loudest that they had heard. It really was loud in the playoffs.

I haven't been to a game in 15 years. But used to go to a bunch of games in the early to mid 90s. I'm sure they were loud for the playoffs. But for regular season games, 25-30K fans in old Memorial were louder than 40K fans in Camden. I used to attribute it to no distractions at Memorial versus many distractions at Camden.

Back