• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Gordie Howe

wfumike02

Reaction score
That's a lot of legends gone in an awfully short period of time...

3bqC9Z1.png

RIP, Woodrow

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2016/06/10/gordie-howe-appreciation-nhl-red-wings/18159445/

"what always struck me as the most fascinating aspect of Howe's career is that he was able to play a dominant tough, physical, often ruthless, style for 26 years in the NHL without developing a large collection of people hating him.

You have to look long and hard in the hockey world to find anyone who disliked Gordie Howe.

His son, Mark, once said of his dad: "He was the meanest, nastiest man on a pair of skates that I ever met. Off the ice, he was the most gentlemanly man I ever met."

That was Mr. Hockey's greatest talent. He knew where the game ended and life began.

He played with his elbows up, and if you wronged him, you faced his retribution. But if you respected Howe, he respected you. He lived by his own code of conduct, and almost everyone in the NHL understood Howe's rules."

Not too much to add, but I feel obligated to chime in. Howe was certainly the greatest player of his era. The long standing debate between him and Gretzky is a difficult one to sort out, though. If Gretzky played during Howe's prime, I don't believe he would have been as dominant. It was a different game at that time. Gretzky was the most talented offensive player ever, but did not have the grit of Howe.

Back