• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Ray Manzarek

Damn, there's a time in most teenage male's life where you discover the Doors, listen to them all the time, then they fade away. I enjoyed my Doors phase.

Damn, there's a time in most teenage male's life where you discover the Doors, listen to them all the time, then they fade away. I enjoyed my Doors phase.

yep

well he did make it to 74. :noidea: Pretty good compared to a lot of his peers.

I say, way to go Ray. You had a great run and thanks for the tunes.

That greatest hits everyone had way back when plus the Stone movie were not really good for the Doors.

here is a song set that stands the test of time:

twentieth century fox
take it as it comes
i looked at you
end of the night
soul kitchen
backdoor man
moonlight drive
you're lost little girl
unhappy girl
my eyes have seen you
love street
summer's almost gone
my wild love
wild child
tell all the people
wishful sinful
queen of the highway
peace frog
blue sunday
ship of fools
land ho!
you make me real
indian summer
the changeling
hyacinth house
been down so long

Time for him to break on through to the other side.

Go is right about The Doors phase.

That greatest hits everyone had way back when plus the Stone movie were not really good for the Doors.

here is a song set that stands the test of time:

twentieth century fox
take it as it comes
i looked at you
end of the night
soul kitchen
backdoor man
moonlight drive
you're lost little girl
unhappy girl
my eyes have seen you
love street
summer's almost gone
my wild love
wild child
tell all the people
wishful sinful
queen of the highway
peace frog
blue sunday
ship of fools
land ho!
you make me real
indian summer
the changeling
hyacinth house
been down so long

I think Ray and the surviving Doors thought that Greatest Hits album and the movie were really, really good for the Doors. I don't think they give a shit that you like their B-sides better.

I think Ray and the surviving Doors thought that Greatest Hits album and the movie were really, really good for the Doors. I don't think they give a shit that you like their B-sides better.

The Kids in the Hall's Bruce McCulloch argued that Doors fans are born, not made. But he ducks the question of why we're not making them anymore. Today, one of the first standard-bearers of rock is less hip than Journey. Let's review the case against the band: First we have Morrison himself, who's been blown into a caricature by his super-sexual persona, his wifty poetry, and his early death in a Paris bathtub. The music sounds like a weird cross between shit-kicking blues-rock and brain-spraining acid-jams, and it's easier to get your avant-garage fix from the Velvet Underground, your rock shaman verse from Patti Smith (or not at all), or your psychedelic extravagance from countless Nuggets bands. As dead 1960s rockers go, Jimi's legacy has left Janis and Jim in the dust. It may be a strange way to put it, but the problem with the Doors is that they were not efficient.

Last edited:

The Kids in the Hall's Bruce McCulloch argued that Doors fans are born, not made. But he ducks the question of why we're not making them anymore. Today, one of the first standard-bearers of rock is less hip than Journey. Let's review the case against the band: First we have Morrison himself, who's been blown into a caricature by his super-sexual persona, his wifty poetry, and his early death in a Paris bathtub. The music sounds like a weird cross between shit-kicking blues-rock and brain-spraining acid-jams, and it's easier to get your avant-garage fix from the Velvet Underground, your rock shaman verse from Patti Smith (or not at all), or your psychedelic extravagance from countless Nuggets bands. As dead 1960s rockers go, Jimi's legacy has left Janis and Jim in the dust. It may be a strange way to put it, but the problem with the Doors is that they were not efficient.

did you write that?

jimi's has left everybody in the dust. not really worthy of discussion either...............

jimi's has left everybody in the dust. not really worthy of discussion either...............

did not realize we were discussing that

jimi learned a lot by the way, including how to dress, from this warped genius:

ah. I knew you were better than that. It doesn't make a lick of sense, and is pretentious drivel. much like that site. If all that is true, how are they "one of the first standard bearers of rock?"

I thought they were a good band with some good tunes. Densmore drummed with a Latin feel over blues changes and psychedelic melodies, and Morrison was a drunken cartoon snubbing his nose at......anything and everything. hell yeah!

:noidea:

They were a rock band. That's all any of this shit is. People need to stop talking about it like it is high art. It isn't, and it shouldn't be.

I hope that Ray feels good about spending the past thirty years trying to rewrite the history of The Doors.

Back