• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rise of the Machines

CHillDeac

Reaction score
Oxford researchers say that 45 percent of America’s occupations will be automated within the next 20 years.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/519241/report-suggests-nearly-half-of-us-jobs-are-vulnerable-to-computerization/#comments

http://www.futuretech.ox.ac.uk/oms-working-paper-future-employment-how-susceptible-are-jobs-computerisation-dr-carl-benedikt-frey-m

According to our estimates, about 45
percent of total US employment is at risk. We further provide evidence
that wages and educational attainment exhibit a strong negative relationship
with an occupation’s probability of computerisation.

And there is worry that 3D Printing technology could spell the end of the fashion industry as we know it.

3D printing jeopardizes jobs for around 50 million women, spread across every continent, and in most countries of the world. That's a full fourteenth of the world's population - one woman in every seven - out of work. Unless someone comes up with a plan. Today around 60 million people work in garment factories worldwide. They uphold an economy that, according to the World Trade Organization (WTO), sees around $700 billion of global trade annually, although elsewhere this has been reported as high as $1.2 trillion.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/18622-the-3d-printed-guns-wont-hurt-you

Last edited:
No posts from Tuffalo in 6 months. Shame. He was a good poster.

3D printing will be ubiquitous in the near future. I was talking to a collaborator from a tech program at a local 2-year college and he was telling me about a high school student in his class who developed an app that allowed him to program the 3D printer in the lab remotely and print whatever he wanted during off hours. Printing will just become easier to do and 3D printers will just become that much cheaper.

I, for one, welcome our new inanimate overlords

How much of your job could be done by a machine/robot/program?

I was talking about this the other day with coworkers. I'm thinking about 40% right now. I pretty constantly work to write macros to do portions of my work for me, so every few weeks, I have less work to do when I finish writing a macro. Gives me more boards time until I start a new project.

I'm surprised they haven't put more accountants out of work already.

I'm surprised they haven't put more accountants out of work already.

LOL. Out of the thousands of professions you could take a dig at for being simple, easy and replaceable by a machine, you chose accounting. Really?

I was talking to a collaborator from a tech program at a local 2-year college and he was telling me about a high school student in his class who developed an app that allowed him to program the 3D printer in the lab remotely and print whatever he wanted during off hours.

Remote printing/working isn't exactly a new thing. What am I missing? :noidea:

Apparently it is on 3D printers.

This rise of the machines will signal the return of the Luddites
FrameBreaking-1812.jpg

T3 was on the other day on the boob tube. Underrated Terminator installment. First 3 are great. Christian Bale one sucked. TV series was pretty cool.

Terminator and Dollhouse were a strong Friday night lineup on FOX.

Back