• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rivalry Pranks

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
After reading about this, and also hearing of the leg hair pulling during the days of Bones McKinney, I'd have loved to been at rivalry games back in the 1960s. College sports are such a production nowadays, they've lost some of the character that used to make them great.

avJcm.So.168.jpg

bC9XI8D.jpg

http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...th-carolina/usc-football/article18174848.html

CalTech pranked the Rose Bowl. They replaced the placards on the seats of the Rose Bowl to spell out CalTech on national TV.

Wake students stole the UNC ram in the 60's. Believe they painted his horns black and gold

Rival2.jpg

UVA claimed VT painted their field with a "T" added onto the V in Charlottesville. Who actually did it, no idea, as this was during the ongoing 12 or 13 year streak of VT winning but the thought was that it would motivate the cavs.

Ramses IV, or some such roman numeral, was paraded in front of Wait Chapel immediately prior to mandatory chapel. Cannot remember if he was taken inside.

Wake students stole the UNC ram in the 60's. Believe they painted his horns black and gold

My dad was a Lambda Chi in the 60's. His friends tried to get him to go on a "road trip" before the Carolina game. But he wasn't able to go (for some reason that I can't recall). He was awakened in the middle of the night by an unusual noise. He opened his eyes and saw the ram in his room.

Some of my fraternity brothers :naughty: took the ram from a pen in Chapel Hill. When the ram was delivered to Wake we painted his horns black and gold. UNC claimed that we did not get the "real" ram. It didn't matter. We had one of their rams. (He could have been the wrong ram. He was pretty scraggly.) I believe we gave it back during an unofficial ceremony on the football field either before the game or at half-time. (That was a long time ago. I can't remember.)

My dad was a Lambda Chi in the 60's. His friends tried to get him to go on a "road trip" before the Carolina game. But he wasn't able to go (for some reason that I can't recall). He was awakened in the middle of the night by an unusual noise. He opened his eyes and saw the ram in his room.

Yes. It was the Lambda Chi's who stole the ram. I don't remember the ram being in the fraternity house. (I don't remember a lot from those days.) I was there for the painting of the horns though. I might have held a brush. :naughty:

The ram was returned to Carolina prior to the game in 1968. It didn't help the Tar Heels. The Demon Deacons won the game 48-31 with 628 yards of total offense, the most explosive offensive day in their history. The 734 yards of total offense against Syracuse this season surpassed that record.

After securing the ram, the pranksters made a visit to their fraternity counterparts at U*NC to visit and talk a little trash. The result and nature of the victory made for a very satisfying Saturday night.

Yes. It was the Lambda Chi's who stole the ram. I don't remember the ram being in the fraternity house. (I don't remember a lot from those days.) I was there for the painting of the horns though. I might have held a brush. :naughty:

ZAX
ΘΤ 623

Some of my fraternity brothers :naughty: took the ram from a pen in Chapel Hill. When the ram was delivered to Wake we painted his horns black and gold. UNC claimed that we did not get the "real" ram. It didn't matter. We had one of their rams. (He could have been the wrong ram. He was pretty scraggly.) I believe we gave it back during an unofficial ceremony on the football field either before the game or at half-time. (That was a long time ago. I can't remember.)

I was at that game. I don't remember the return of the ram but I do remember the slaughter on the field. Good times.

The story of "BEVO" is a classic. A&M beat Texas 13-0 and branded the score on the side of the Texas mascot. UT then turned the 13 into a B. Then branded EV before the zero to spell out "BEVO". Army-Navy brings out some good pranks too.

Back