• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RJ's political-1947 NYC vaccinated 6M in <1 month -Lin Wood says he's 2nd coming

It's up to Murkowski and Collins. If they refuse to vote for any nominee, there's a chance to keep it.

Biden needs to expand the Court.

It's up to Murkowski and Collins. If they refuse to vote for any nominee, there's a chance to keep it.

Biden needs to expand the Court.

A smarter idea would be to give DC and PR statehood. Make it impossible for this current version of Republicans to ever win back the senate.

TX, if the SC isn't expanded, the nation will be screwed for the next 30+ years. There is no choice at this point.

They should call it the Mitch McConnell Supreme Court Expansion Bill.

Can Congress put a clause that demands a 2/3 vote to change the law?

That doesn't mean DC and PR shouldn't become states by Easter.

not a fan of expanding the court.....constantly one-upping each other is not a path to a better government. I hope that Lamar Alexander decides it's worth it to do the right thing and votes to postpone the vote. I get that there are plenty of people playing "burn it down" politics, but that doesn't make it right. We really need to elect some people with principles.

The Senate Judiciary Committee is basically filled with RW whack jobs.

not a fan of expanding the court.....constantly one-upping each other is not a path to a better government. I hope that Lamar Alexander decides it's worth it to do the right thing and votes to postpone the vote. I get that there are plenty of people playing "burn it down" politics, but that doesn't make it right. We really need to elect some people with principles.

Perhaps, but when one party keeps doing shit like this - and doing it successfully with lifetime appointees - the pressure from the other side to "burn it down" is only going to continue to increase, and rightly so. As has been pointed out in several places, we could very soon be looking at a situation where one party that has lost the national popular vote in 7 out of the last 8 elections will have appointed a majority of the Supreme Court, and will have done so with far-right judges using tactics that consist of pretty much rubbing the other side's noses in the dirt and spitting on them. To expect Democrats to continue to play fair in such a situation is extremely unlikely, given human nature.

ETA: I should add that I'm not particularly in favor of expanding the Court either, but I do believe that significant reforms are needed if the Court is retain any legitimacy and credibility. I'm more in favor of term limits for all federal judges, including SC justices. I also think that is more likely to pass Congress and receive broad public support than expanding the Court. Nonetheless, expanding the Court and other more radical proposals are going to gain momentum and strength as long the Court continues to move in a purely partisan direction.

Last edited:

If the Republicans fill this seat, there's really no other option as there will be a devastating majority for a quarter of a century.

You will need to have intravenous 02 for decades if you are going to hold your breath waiting for the GOP to put up Howard Bakers or Richard Lugars again.

Of course, the Dems will be too weak to move the SC to 15 and add 250 federal court slots. I hope they, at least, have the cajones to grant statehood to DC and Puerto Rico.

I can't believe the Dems and their SuperPACs are so weak that they haven't spent tens of millions to destroy McConnell's SEVENTY-TWO votes to take away KY Connect (their version of ACA). It is WILDLY popular in KY. They have abdicated their responsibility in not attacking the Moscow Turtle on his refusal to vote on the Covid aid package that he has been sitting on for four months.

MM is leading but should be an easy target.

I can't believe the Dems and their SuperPACs are so weak that they haven't spent tens of millions to destroy McConnell's SEVENTY-TWO votes to take away KY Connect (their version of ACA). It is WILDLY popular in KY. They have abdicated their responsibility in not attacking the Moscow Turtle on his refusal to vote on the Covid aid package that he has been sitting on for four months.

MM is leading but should be an easy target.

You underestimate how stupid people in Kentucky are. I say that as someone from Kentucky.

There are four ifs that could lead to the most progressive Supreme Court ever. Two of which are all but certain (McConnell replacing RBG and a Biden win). One is very likely (Dems win the Senate). The other (Schumer's actions) is up in the air.

If the first three happen Schumer would have to follow through with his threats that nothing is off the table. The first thing he should do is add DC and Puerto Rico as states and sit their four Dem Senators. The next step is to expand the Supreme Court to 15 members with a simple majority vote.

Even if the Dems only win 51-49. They would be up to a 55-49 lead with the new states. The 2022 Senate election looks very, very predictable (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_Senate_elections). At most, it appears that only a few might even be competitive (AZ - Kelly (D), Rubio (R), GA, NV (D), PA (R), WI(R)). That's not enough to swing the Senate.

Add to that, Biden would veto any other expansion bill if somehow the GOP took the Senate while was in office. If Harris on another Dem wins in 2024, it puts any change off the table for another 4-8 years.

During Biden's first term, it's likely he'll replace Breyer. If the Dems hold serve through 2028-32, it's also likely that they will replace Thomas.

By 2028 or 32 at the latest, TX and FL will become purple.

If Schumer and has some balls, he could parlay the McConnell/Trump replacement of RBG into at least a quarter century of a very progressive Supreme Court.

You underestimate how stupid people in Kentucky are. I say that as someone from Kentucky.

I remember reading an article years ago which noted that many rural whites in Kentucky were using the ACA and liked it, but that polls showed that these same folks were in favor of abolishing Obamacare. When the reporter investigated this obvious contradiction, he discovered that a remarkable number of people in KY did not realize that the ACA and Obamacare were the same thing. Sometimes you just have to shake your head.

Although I find it repugnant and morally reprehensible, Lindsey Graham has gone full extremist and supports Trump's racism and killing of innocent Americans via lying about Covid and taking away their insurance coverage. It's time to Huey Long Lindsey.

Huey famously said the only he would lose an election is for him to be found in bed with a dead woman or a live man. Since the first part is unlikely...

Time to pay the piper Lindsey.

I think a reasonable argument could be made that Trump is trying to push our nation into a Civil War. That way he could suspend civil rights, the Constitution and create a ruling family.

Although I find it repugnant and morally reprehensible, Lindsey Graham has gone full extremist and supports Trump's racism and killing of innocent Americans via lying about Covid and taking away their insurance coverage. It's time to Huey Long Lindsey.

Huey famously said the only he would lose an election is for him to be found in bed with a dead woman or a live man. Since the first part is unlikely...

Time to pay the piper Lindsey.

Huey Long was assassinated. You might want to be careful how you phrase things.

ETA: I do get that the subsequent words make it clear that you aren't calling for an assassination. That said, the quote is "dead girl or live boy" and it was Edwin Edwards, not Huey Long, and it's definitely not the way Huey Long's career ended. Gary Hart might be the name you are looking for here.

Last edited:
You're right it was Edwards...my bad...

It's about the quote. I think it's much more like Mark Foley than Gary Hart.

I mention Hart because Hart was possibly set up, which is what "we" would do. Also, I don't think there were any rumors of underage people wrt Graham, unless I missed something.

I mean would anyone be that upset if Lindsey Graham ended up like Huey Long. He's an opportunist and a parasite, and it is clear that he and may of his Conservative colleagues could care less about the sanctity of human life. So why do we care about his?

Last edited:
Back