• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Robert Sarvis

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
I have thought this many times in the past but could Robert Sarvis be the Libertarian spring board to enter the national debate? Sarvis is currently polling at around 10%...if he archives that and Mcauliffe wins by < 9 a lot will be made of the Sarvis campaign and the Libertarian Party. His tag line "open minded and open for business" is the perfect Libertarian mantra and one that could find fertile ground nation wide.

My fingers are crossed.

Sarvis is polling at < 10% as Will points out. That is underwhelming for a 3rd party candidate in a purple state in a race between two extremely unappealing candidates in the current partisan climate.

nice suit, asshole:

rs_buenaVista_061378147156.jpg

McAuliffe is a total hack, but GOP's ticket may get swept in VA. Tea Party can't claim Cooch and EW Jackson were too moderate. The Electoral College and demographics are already stacked against the GOP. If VA permanently moves from purple to blue, the GOP is hosed. Libertarians have to become stronger than social conservatives if the GOP wants to remain viable anywhere but deep red states.

Sarvis is polling at < 10% as Will points out. That is underwhelming for a 3rd party candidate in a purple state in a race between two extremely unappealing candidates in the current partisan climate.

That is ridiculous. First of all, He has been at or above 10 In nearly all recent polls

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...r_cuccinelli_vs_mcauliffe_vs_sarvis-4111.html

2nd, I don't think any 3rd party candidate has received over 3% of the vote in VA in modern history. This is as traditional state as it comes. If you don't see a Libertarian getting +10% of the vote as significant then we will have to agree to disagree.

I wonder how much of his 10% is really a None of the Above vote. There are two really crappy candidates in VA.

The link you posted talked about how he wasn't in the last debate because he didn't poll at 10%.

Either way, 10% in a state gubernatorial race isn't going to give a guy a national platform.

He seems like an interesting candidate and it's great to see a guy our age out there. I like his wife's focus on health care accessibility. He's just going to have to do a lot better to make a dent.

But Libertarianism is stupid as shit. Why would anyone want them to gain ground on anything. It's idiotic.

No more stupid than either of the other choices. They are the only ones who are willing to stand up to the drug warriors and done jockeys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

That a modern super-economy can remain on or near the top with the government only providing military and border control? pretty stupid unicorn dream IMO

Of your mom.

What else would a country be on top of except the world?

Are we on top of the world? And if we are, are the continued policies of the Demapublicans going to keep us there? Hell, we are a short hair away from defaulting on the debt. Talk about unicorn thinking.

Don't get me wrong, although I am as Libertarian as it gets I know that the Libertarian Platform if adopted in total would be an unmitigated disaster. But so will the continued rule of the two twins, Republicans and Democrats. This nation would do better (IMO) as a coalition government of several parties. Candidates would then run as who they are and not what party they belong to. It's sad when the major party of civil liberties has to justify unending drone strikes and endless spying on American citizens. It is just as sad that the party of supposed small government wants to invade every accept of social morals and explodes the size of government when in power.

I wonder how much of his 10% is really a None of the Above vote. There are two really crappy candidates in VA.

This is correct. I considered voting for Sarvis as I won't vote for Cuccinelli and don't know if I can bring myself to vote for McAuliffe. Once I read up on Sarvis I decided to sit this one out - the first governor's election I haven't voted in.

I read somewhere that this is an unusual campaign in that most of the negative things Cuccinelli and McAuliffe have been saying about each other are actually true.

"This nation would do better (IMO) as a coalition government of several parties."

We do have a coalition government. It just happens to coalesce into two parties more often than not.

Are we on top of the world? And if we are, are the continued policies of the Demapublicans going to keep us there? Hell, we are a short hair away from defaulting on the debt. Talk about unicorn thinking.

Don't get me wrong, although I am as Libertarian as it gets I know that the Libertarian Platform if adopted in total would be an unmitigated disaster. But so will the continued rule of the two twins, Republicans and Democrats. This nation would do better (IMO) as a coalition government of several parties. Candidates would then run as who they are and not what party they belong to. It's sad when the major party of civil liberties has to justify unending drone strikes and endless spying on American citizens. It is just as sad that the party of supposed small government wants to invade every accept of social morals and explodes the size of government when in power.

Yes, we are the top economy in the world. I'm not talking about drones and spying, I'm talking about economics. A healthy economic relationship between gov and the private sector is integral to overall economic success, a concept that is anathema to libertarianism.

A GOP with socially libertarian policies wouldn't have to apologize for clowns babbling about legitimate rape anymore.

I know nothing about Sarvis. But tend to agree with W&B...I can't see any sense in what I understand to be libertarian ideals.

Back