• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

yeah, people just outside the city limits fucking love Dolan.

and it's not unemployed rubes. it's lower, middle and upper middle class people

there's a guy in my neighborhood, owns a business, huge house, 4 cars and two of them have license plates "DJT 2020" and "MAGA 2020"

and all sorts of people go to gun shows, sadly

rube nation is legion

I don't know of any Democrats who think they have Trump "on the ropes." To the contrary, most of the Democrats I know are quite pessimistic about the chances of removing Trump from office via the impeachment process, due to the GOP's firm control of the Senate, and the complete unwillingness of almost any Congressional Republican (other than Amash, and we all saw what happened to him) to break ranks and do more than a little public hand-wringing and issuing vague statements like "this is concerning/troubling" etc. It really is a kind of religious cult now, as the WaPo article shows. They don't care what Trump does, they'll never abandon him, because they've identified emotionally with him, and see him as their last hope to keep control of the government in the hands of people like them. Nearly every Democrat I know (including me) supports impeachment because it's the right thing to do, and more than justified based not only on this Ukrainian stuff but lots of other crap he's done since taking office. Hell, even getting 2 or 3 GOP Senators to vote for a conviction and removal from office may be optimistic. It's still the right thing to do, though, no matter how much his base continues to cling to him.

yeah, people just outside the city limits fucking love Dolan.

and it's not unemployed rubes. it's lower, middle and upper middle class people

there's a guy in my neighborhood, owns a business, huge house, 4 cars and two of them have license plates "DJT 2020" and "MAGA 2020"

and all sorts of people go to gun shows, sadly

rube nation is legion

This thread contains dozens of examples why. Ask any Trump supporter what their #1 reason why they like Trump is and invariably it'll be one of two things:

1) They like the way he speaks his mind and isn't afraid to be anti-PC
2) He's there for them. He cares about them unlike the liberal coastal elites

Nevermind the staggering irony of each position, the MSM doesn't help. Even with fawning profiles of neo-Nazis or these weird hand-picked Trump supporter policy pieces, they're not endearing themselves as trustworthy publications to any base. Media makes stories media people want to read.

Seems like all these decisions are made by white journalists either who grew up in rural areas or have never left LA, NY, or DC as adults are trying to figure out why their parents and other relatives support Trump.

I have no idea what's going on at the NYT Politics desk or Opinion section. Between Douthat, Stephens, and Weiss and their decision-making around these Trump supporter profiles and outing the whistleblower, what is going on??

This thread contains dozens of examples why. Ask any Trump supporter what their #1 reason why they like Trump is and invariably it'll be one of two things:

1) They like the way he speaks his mind and isn't afraid to be anti-PC
2) He's there for them. He cares about them unlike the liberal coastal elites

Nevermind the staggering irony of each position, the MSM doesn't help. Even with fawning profiles of neo-Nazis or these weird hand-picked Trump supporter policy pieces, they're not endearing themselves as trustworthy publications to any base. Media makes stories media people want to read.

Reason #1 is what I used to hear in the 80s and 90s from Jesse Helms voters here in NC. Helms supporters would nearly always include some version of "Well, I like that he says what he thinks and doesn't use polls to tell him what to say/doesn't care if it offends people" line of argument. And, of course, what they really loved about him was that the things he did and said did offend other people, especially people Helms supporters didn't like and wanted to suffer. Trump has just taken this to the national level.

I have no idea what's going on at the NYT Politics desk or Opinion section. Between Douthat, Stephens, and Weiss and their decision-making around these Trump supporter profiles and outing the whistleblower, what is going on??

And dummies like Brad still think it’s a mouthpiece for the left

She should be fired for that story. It won't be that hard to figure out who the person is for insiders.

Back