• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roll The Quad - Wake Forest NIL with noteworthy support

I think it's already happened in college football. Scary thought if people start throwing money at sports so their favorite team will win like people throw money at politics for their favorite party or candidates.
This is a great analogy. Coaching, facilities, culture, and education will become like "local contributions", and NIL will be "outside PAC money".
I don't fault the players a single dime that they can get coming their way, but I still don't see how this thing ends well for the majority of schools and players.

Yep. NIL collectives are basically PACs but going to a better cause.

I think it's probably better if we have a centralized collective with all those heavy hitters involved, and maybe that's where the funds are being forwarded, but I have no idea.

The death of the Top Hat Collective doesn't mean a thing. WF's NIL future rests in the hands of the Roll The Quad Collective (RTQC), and the ability of WF's biggest donors to now jump into the NIL pool. We will have an early read on the significance of the RTQC starting on December 5, when the football transfer portal opens.

FWIW, any idea that: a) NIL money would dry up after the initial spurt; b) at some point, the NCAA and/or conferences would find ways to regulate and bring sanity to the process; seem to be both LOUD WRONG.

Think people will be blown away by the cash that will be thrown at football transfers over the next month. Forseeable that top college football players will be receive more (sometimes far more) than all but the highest NFL picks. Many players literally will be taking a pay cut to go to the NFL.

The death of the Top Hat Collective doesn't mean a thing. WF's NIL future rests in the hands of the Roll The Quad Collective (RTQC), and the ability of WF's biggest donors to now jump into the NIL pool. We will have an early read on the significance of the RTQC starting on December 5, when the football transfer portal opens.

FWIW, any idea that: a) NIL money would dry up after the initial spurt; b) at some point, the NCAA and/or conferences would find ways to regulate and bring sanity to the process; seem to be both LOUD WRONG.

Think people will be blown away by the cash that will be thrown at football transfers over the next month. Forseeable that top college football players will be receive more (sometimes far more) than all but the highest NFL picks. Many players literally will be taking a pay cut to go to the NFL.

It will be interesting to see how that affects guys projected to be mid to late round draft picks and undrafted free agents. Will more of those borderline NFL guys stay in school?

This a 100% accurate take; 'bout to get crazy(er).

I am in on it now with RTQ. This NIL system will prove unsustainable in a few years and when big programs start complaining, then something will be done about it like a cap or something. As soon as you offer a transfer a lot of money to come to your program, all the existing players on the team will want more money and if not, they will transfer. Whatever amount a new recruits get, also creates pay disparity with existing players. It is not sustainable for more than 3-4 years in existing form but again will not change until the large programs currently benefitting, ask for new rules when their donations run dry b/c it isn't tax deductable.

Got banned from the other board for saying this so guess I'll say it here.

Fans have really no idea what is going on in college sports right now. When you see the way the term "NIL" is used it might make you wonder if anybody even knows what those letters stand for. School X offering a 17 year old basketball recruit money in order to sign with their program (i.e. Kansas offering Wake recruit Jamari McDowell several hundred thousand dollars at the eleventh hour for his pledge) that is in no way NIL. That is pay for play just as was going on all over college football and in a few basketball programs before NIL was allowed. Now that you can hide behind NIL rules, schools are creating basically fake companies such as this Roll the Quad one for Wake that have no actual business other than paying athletes. NIL allows for players to profit off the use of their Name, Image, and Likeness. Here are some examples of what that could mean:

EA Sports makes CBB and CFB games again and compensates players to use their names and faces.
Buffalo Wild Wings pays a basketball player to film a commercial to air during the NCAA tournament.
Putters pays Tyree Appleby to sign autographs in the restaurant.

Basically, these are examples of actual companies engaging in sponsorship of players or otherwise compensating players for some legitimate business reason. What a collective is, is boosters paying players through a shell company. I'm not inherently against college athletes being paid, but I hate dishonesty. I you call this NIL, you are being dishonest. This is a critical development that was needed to keep up, but what this should be described as is Wake catching up with what the rest of college sports are doing and beginning to pay their basketball players. That's what it is, which is fine, but let's please stop the lying.

Like everyone else, we've already been paying football players (active players, not recruits) for years under the table, so this whole shitshow has had a far more profound impact on basketball recruiting, which is why Forbes has been so outspoken about needing to build this player payment infrastructure to match what our rivals are doing.

There's still some level of a facade to NIL payments at this point, so my guess is that the NCAA will only try to regulate it once a seriously egregious transfer goes down. I don't think we've seen anything this in your face yet, but I'm thinking of like a Caleb Williams of C.J. Stroud-level player at a blue blood getting a fat offer from some shitty program like Rutgers. No coaching change to mask it, no blue blood to blue blood transfer, no committing to a weird school out of HS so you can say they won the recruiting battle. Just a straight up Heisman contender ditching a blue blood to go get paid at Rice or something.

Personally I have no problem with it. Pay em.

I have no problem with it if they did it honestly. Also, there already have been some egregious occurrences. Miami had a booster openly tweet a cash offer to a basketball player still enrolled at Kansas State, who then transferred there and took the money. Seeing this, Isaiah Wong, already on the Miami roster, told the booster that if he didn't match that money he would leave, so the booster (Ruiz I believe is the booster's name) matched it and paid Wong too. Miami and Florida also had a very open bidding war for a high school QB recruit where they both publicly offered him over $10 million.

The collectives are paying for "NIL" rights of the prospective athlete. It's under the guise of name, image and likeness, like your EA sports O'bannon example just sleazy. They may never use the athletes NIL for anything but they paid for it. It is poorly disguised pay for play and you're right, the only way it will be regulated is when a big program gets outbid too many times.

Back