• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rolling Stone Article on UVA rape culture

nobody was claiming that independents didn't care enough to call out frat bros on dumb shit

buckets on the other hand was suggesting that most people don't frat out later in life

i have found some great anecdotal evidence to suggest otherwise on these here boards

also lol negreps from dkes

972InpR.gif

You're turning into rj right before our eyes.

I was in a fraternity in college. I enjoyed the experience. But apart from attending a few frat brothers weddings in the years after graduation, I haven't given it too much thought since.

I was just trying to use the cool lingo. GDI sounds dated and independent or non-greek is too clunky. I'll PM you my posts for editing in the future.

No need to do that, us geeds branched out and made tarhole friends who can redact anything automatically

not sure why you say that, i agree w/ Townie here; the quibbling here about frat life and its relation to sexual assault is hardly surprising

not sure why you say that, i agree w/ Townie here; the quibbling here about frat life and its relation to sexual assault is hardly surprising

It relates to sexual assault in environments where it is present. But sexual assault still occurs at Notre Dame, where they don't have fraternities. I don't have statistics on the rates (my bad), but I doubt that there's a huge difference between WF and ND in the rate of sexual assault and rape. Feel free to look up the stats and prove me wrong, but I think we all realize that the stats are usually incomplete on this type of thing.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/new...cle_ed8f17b2-2dab-11e3-8bce-0019bb30f31a.html

Right, and once again no one is suggesting that fraternity houses are the only places that rapes are occurring on college campuses. But as a centralized body, if they're a large part of the problem, they're easier to address than in amorphous, decentralized places.

The "rape culture" phrase points well beyond fraternities. It gets at the way men view and treat women in America. There are, however, incubators that turn the passive problems underlying society into active areas of potential trouble. Fraternity houses, college campuses in general, etc.

Fuggin millenials bitching about how men treat women in america. Maybe the women would prefer life in the middle east

So is your argument that fraternities should be chastened first because the horny 20-year old men are all in the same place? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

So is your argument that fraternities should be chastened first because the horny 20-year old men are all in the same place? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

He's probably saying that fraternities are the low hanging fruit when it comes to addressing sexual assault on college campuses.

is this a joke?

An unnamed source forms the centerpiece to this story. No criminal charges have been filed. Journalists have a long history of making shit up ...

Why shouldn't we question the veracity of this story?

My comment has everything to do with the truth of the story and nothing to do with rape.

We could probably solve 95% of the problem if we kept alcohol out of the hands of young people.

That mob mentality is real, and our culture has a strong emphasis on hooking up in college, telling your friends about your sexploits, and sharing stories for the amusement of all. While this can certainly happen independently or on a hall you are totally willfully ignorant if you don't/can't recognize how a fraternity might amplify this and encourage people to hook up so they have a story to share.

An unnamed source forms the centerpiece to this story. No criminal charges have been filed. Journalists have a long history of making shit up ...

My comment has everything to do with the truth of the story and nothing to do with rape.

What if the story is completely made up? So what? It's just one story. The story has plenty of gravitas without that single story. And the way the school handles the case is indicative of how it handles all rape accusations, which is a huge part of the problem.

Last edited:

you are the problem

That mob mentality is real, and our culture has a strong emphasis on hooking up in college, telling your friends about your sexploits, and sharing stories for the amusement of all. While this can certainly happen independently or on a hall you are totally willfully ignorant if you don't/can't recognize how a fraternity might amplify this and encourage people to hook up so they have a story to share.

College kids are still going to have big drunk parties with serial rapists present whether there are fraternities enabling it or not. And GDI/geeds/independents/non-greeks like to hook up just as much as their Greek counterparts.

What if the store is completely made up? So what? It's just one story. The story has plenty of gravitas without that single story. And the way the school handles the case is indicative of how it handles all rape accusations, which is a huge part of the problem.

Zero people kicked out for sexual assault in like 15 years is mind boggling

I'm not really sure what Biff's trying to say. Are you disputing the empirical point that a disproportionate number of rapes are committed by fraternity men, or are you arguing that we shouldn't punish or reform fraternities even in light of that reality?

College kids are still going to have big drunk parties with serial rapists present whether there are fraternities enabling it or not. And GDI/geeds/independents/non-greeks like to hook up just as much as their Greek counterparts.

Again.

While this can certainly happen independently or on a hall you are totally willfully ignorant if you don't/can't recognize how a fraternity might amplify this.

Last edited:
Back