• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney on Obama Voters: stupid poors should buy more money

Ball State Deac

Reaction score
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/secret-video-romney-private-fundraiser

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.

. . .

[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives

That should be his "cling to guns and religion" moment.

He is really that out of touch.

Reactions: ITK
This from a guy that pays a lower effective tax rate, by far, than my wife (an evil teacher) and I.

the quoted portion and everything else in the linked article is totally unsurprising.

This is exactly what big Republican donors want to hear and what inspires them to give money.

Oh no doubt. These are his people though. I can believe that he actually believes it.

The problem is that it is so incorrect given how many poor whites vote Republican.

Oh no doubt. These are his people though. I can believe that he actually believes it.

The problem is that it is so incorrect given how many poor whites vote Republican.

I think that's what they call a "dog whistle".

This from a guy that pays a lower effective tax rate, by far, than my wife (an evil teacher) and I.

what % did he pay the last two years (thats all he released right?)?

my wife and i paid 11.3% in 2010 and 7.5% in 2011

did he pay less than that?

I didn't hear anything that was inaccurate. Generalizations, of course, but otherwise nothing too off. Keep in mind he is preaching to the choir and, I might add, in confidence.

It is not remotely accurate that the 47% that pay no income tax will vote as a block for Obama.

He basically says he doesn't care about nearly half of Americans.

what % did he pay the last two years (thats all he released right?)?

my wife and i paid 11.3% in 2010 and 7.5% in 2011

That's so ridiculous. We need tax reform. No way someone barely middle class should be paying almost half of what they make in taxes (in total) and other people that I presume make more are paying less than 8% in income tax.

What a joke.

That's so ridiculous. We need tax reform. No way someone barely middle class should be paying almost half of what they make in taxes (in total) and other people that I presume make more are paying less than 8% in income tax.

What a joke.

no one who is barely middle class pays half of their income in taxes.

This is the part that Republicans are currently missing. Republicans really have/had a chance to forge a new electorate with the country's distaste for Obamacare. Instead they have wasted the opportunity to dig deeper into their hole. It is frustrating to me as someone who cannot hope to find a home in the Democratic Party, yet looks at my own party and wonders what the heck we are doing sometimes.

1. Stop the class warfare talk. Simply propose your ideas and stop hammering poor people
2. Change your stance on immigration. Is a losing proposition and it is ridiculously simplistic

Modify those two stances or even move towards the middle on those two and the Republican candidate for President probably wins this year. A balanced economic plan and a realistic immigration plan would change everything. Instead we have a bunch of idiots running the show who think putting Clint Eastwood on a stage with an empty chair is going to turn the tide.

Ryan's economic focus + Romney's moderate leadership is a winning platform. Instead we have Ryan as an attack dog and Romney as a Tea Party Republican. It is ridiculous.

It's not "class warfare" to say taxes on the Top 2-5% should be at Clinton rates. It's simply good for the country. It's not saying they are bad people or they shouldn't earn a lot of money. All it's saying is it will help the country.

BTW, Ryan's economic plan would create more and more and debt for the next thirty years even if you believe his unicorn filled projections to be real. He doesn't even project a balanced budget until 2040 with those ridiculous projections.

It is not remotely accurate that the 47% that pay no income tax will vote as a block for Obama.

He basically says he doesn't care about nearly half of Americans.

I think he meant to say that the 10% of those 47% that are black are never going to vote for him. Once you realize that it becomes much more understandable.

It's not "class warfare" to say taxes on the Top 2-5% should be at Clinton rates. It's simply good for the country. It's not saying they are bad people or they shouldn't earn a lot of money. All it's saying is it will help the country.

Do you even read what I post. Man you are an idiot.

My mistake.......when I disagreed with you I didn't call you names.

"BTW, Ryan's economic plan would create more and more and debt for the next thirty years even if you believe his unicorn filled projections to be real. He doesn't even project a balanced budget until 2040 with those ridiculous projections."

Ryan lives in a dreamworld where he thinks an oligarchy is best for this country.

My mistake.......when I disagreed with you I didn't call you names.

"BTW, Ryan's economic plan would create more and more and debt for the next thirty years even if you believe his unicorn filled projections to be real. He doesn't even project a balanced budget until 2040 with those ridiculous projections."

Ryan lives in a dreamworld where he thinks an oligarchy is best for this country.

You deserved that one. You weren't disagreeing with me (in fact you probably agree with me in some level). You fail to read my posts very often because you are so busy thinking of your rebuttal. Discern to learn my brother. Don't always be trying to win.

"Modify a stance" and "move toward the middle" are two alien terms when talking about today's Republican Party.

......and Paul Ryan's financial & economic acuity is a figment of imagination that only exists in many people's minds.

Paul Ryan is a brilliant mind. Liberals bias towards him is no different than conservatives who denounce Obama as some idiot who never held a real job. Both are bright young leaders. The other side hates each of them because they embody a lot of what they desire in their leadership.

Back