• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney's Campaigning on Foreign Policy

Yeah, my response was tongue in cheek. A number of those listed were gearing up to try to take over the world. Or is that what you're advocating for the US?

No, and I was aware that you were being facetious. It was really clever. Even if you take away the countries that were mobilizing, it isn't even close. You can look at relatively peaceful times in world history, and military expenditure as a percentage of GDP is still far higher than it is today. Even in comparison to other current nations, our spending as a share of output is not substantially higher. We spend about 4.6% of GDP on the military right now. Russia spends almost 4%. China spends 2%, but that's an estimate, and it is almost certainly rising quickly. Japan spends a low amount, but they are constitutionally forbidden to have any offensive capabilities. Spending 4.6% of GDP on the military, less than one fifth of total federal outlays, certainly doesn't put us in the category of "gearing up to take over the world". You want to know what actual mobilization looks like? Try Japan in just before the Russo-Japanese war, which was spending 55% of GDP on their military.

Last edited:
Who was criticizing his drone strikes?

If I misinterpreted one of your posts on the first page then I take it back.

Just so we are on record, would you say that Bush was superior at foreign policy? I studied abroad through BU's internship program in London. I worked for an MP. I met and spoke with a few MPs from both major parties over the ten weeks I think I worked (did not meet any Lib Dems). They despised Bush. They might now feel a bit jaded that Obama is not giving them the attention he gives other countries, but that does not compare to the frustration they had with Bush. We absolutely took advantage of them and we bullied the world for how many years under Bush. If that is leadership then I'll take Obama any day of the week.

Bush had the worst foreign policy of any western leader since Neville Chamberlain.

If I misinterpreted one of your posts on the first page then I take it back.

Just so we are on record, would you say that Bush was superior at foreign policy? I studied abroad through BU's internship program in London. I worked for an MP. I met and spoke with a few MPs from both major parties over the ten weeks I think I worked (did not meet any Lib Dems). They despised Bush. They might now feel a bit jaded that Obama is not giving them the attention he gives other countries, but that does not compare to the frustration they had with Bush. We absolutely took advantage of them and we bullied the world for how many years under Bush. If that is leadership then I'll take Obama any day of the week.

I don't think either was/is particularly skillful at implementation, although at least Bush had an overarching philosophy. And I can't say I'm shocked that the MP you worked for despised Bush. Half of Congress despised Bush. More than half the nation despised Bush. Most of the time being loved isn't sufficient to get things done. Look at Truman.

No, and I was aware that you were being facetious. It was really clever. Even if you take away the countries that were mobilizing, it isn't even close. You can look at relatively peaceful times in world history, and military expenditure as a percentage of GDP is still far higher than it is today. Even in comparison to other current nations, our spending as a share of output is not substantially higher. We spend about 4.6% of GDP on the military right now. Russia spends almost 4%. China spends 2%, but that's an estimate, and it is almost certainly rising quickly. Japan spends a low amount, but they are constitutionally forbidden to have any offensive capabilities. Spending 4.6% of GDP on the military, less than one fifth of total federal outlays, certainly doesn't put us in the category of "gearing up to take over the world. You want to know what actual mobilization looks like? Try Japan in just before the Russo-Japanese war, which was spending 55% of GDP on their military.

The Russian GDP is 1/10 that of the US. and China's GDP is 1/3. Based on the size of our GDP, it would certainly be nice if we could get by with spending somewhere in the 2% range and somehow feel safe.

The Russian GDP is 1/10 that of the US. and China's GDP is 1/3. Based on the size of our GDP, it would certainly be nice if we could get by with spending somewhere in the 2% range and somehow feel safe.

We probably could. Could we spend that much and ensure global stability? Unlikely. Let me put it to you this way. The United States is a stable society because the government has a monopoly on force and coerces the citizens into following rules. The United States military acts in much the same way on the global scale, only it doesn't have a monopoly on force, it just has an overwhelming advantage. This is enough to limit interstate conflict - there hasn't been a significant conflict of this kind since the collapse of the Soviet Union and the inception of American hegemony. The more the relative power of the United States declines, the less it is able to force its system of international cooperation on other nations. This sounds insidious, but it's the reason why the international system has been so stable in recent years. The less influential the United States is, the more other nations will begin to think they can get away with aggressive action, and the less they will abide by the rules of the international system. This will either lead to a system of bipolarity, like from 1945-1991, characterized by competing factions, proxy wars, and global tension, or a system of multipolarity, like from 1815-1914, characterized by shifting balancing coalitions, permanent military mobilization, and the constant threat of multi-theater warfare.

Basically what I'm saying is, yes, our military expenditure is high in absolute terms relative to the rest of the world, but it would be just as high if not higher in another system of international relations, even though relative to other nations it would be about normal.

Romney should stay as far away from Foreign Policy as possible in this election. Obama has done a great job of repairing all the damage done by the previous administration and I *hope* our next president, be it Obama or Romney, will continue to value and improve global relationships.

Also, anyone who has travelled abroad, especially in Europe, can attest to how much more the average person in this countries knows about US politics than the average US citizen. It's really sad.

Actually, knowledge about the US by most Europeans is extremely superficial and often boxed up in misleading commonplaces that are regularly repeated and passed on from generation to generation.

A few points that I would just like to make

- I find the fact that you're comparing current levels of military spending to levels of past empires as ludicrous. Culturally and societally speaking, war is far less important today than it was back then. Men were raised to be soldiers at that time, and it was essentially the fallback option for a nation's foreign policy. Somewhere in the late 20th century, after WWII and the Cold War had gotten WAY out of hand and we realized that we could obliterate civilization in a matter of hours and globalization grew, diplomacy and trade became far more important for foreign policy than military spending. If we felt the same way about our military that people and governments did during the regimes with which you're comparing current US spending, we would have killed ourselves as a human race by now.

- Having lived in Western Europe, I can assure you that people like Obama and their perceptions of Americans have changed for the better less because of the fact that he's cool and moreso because Bush was such a colossal disaster. We are thought of as warmongers because that's what we've been. Europe is now in a unique position because the EU has forced them to be diplomatic with each other instead of just trying to kill each other as they've done throughout the rest of history. There is no room for leading a war there. They don't regard their military as heroes (perhaps a UK exception), and they view US military spending as threatening and unsustainable. I am inclined to think that they have sent troops with us to keep good trade relations, not because they think we're doing them some sort of protective favor. That is just my feeling.

- That being said, there is obviously an advantage to having the world's strongest military. I think we forget how incredibly exceptional it is that we have military bases on other countries' soil. What if France had a military base here? How would we feel about that? It's a strange concept. Someone was telling me recently about a Spanish company that was doing a large amount of business in a South American nation (Bolivia maybe?) and the South American nation promptly nationalized that company. I'd like to see them have the St. Ones to pull that trick with an American company. That is the benefit of our military. It serves as a warning that we have displayed too carelessly this century.

For Romney to try to go back to that crap would be insane, harm stability and harm our safety. Do you think a person is more likely to hate and attack the United States because their government told them to or because our troops patrol their streets and maybe one of their family members was killed? There's an argument to be made there, for sure, but I'd rather not spend the money trying to force it. I personally know soldiers who have made stories and tell stories of amazing relationships they have made with locals and men and women who have come to love America because of the generosity shown by our troops, but one bad apple does A LOT of damage. Is it worth the money and the risk?

Last edited:
Actually, knowledge about the US by most Europeans is extremely superficial and often boxed up in misleading commonplaces that are regularly repeated and passed on from generation to generation.

This is, from my experience, a minority phenomenon. Europeans are surprisingly informed about US politics and foreign policy.

Going with the minority though, here's a good story.

I once met a French girl (St. Patrick's day, I was in GREAT shape) who told me she was from Brittany, then when I didn't hear her and asked her to repeat, she said "BRITTANY. It's in FRANCE." Little bitch. So I said, oh great yes I know that, I just didn't hear you, it's loud in here and I'm more than a little drunk. She then explained how Americans were stupid and CNN International once placed Nice in Spain. Being in the state I was in, I went on a rant about how Americans have availed themselves to the rest of the world by even having CNN International, and that there is no Le Monde station that is widespread in the US, and that if there were, I'm sure they would do something stupid here and there like put Nashville in Montana. The fact of the matter is that we have thrown our culture out there for the rest of the world to eat up and love, but also ridicule. Everyone makes mistakes, ours are just very obvious to everyone when they happen.

Her response? "Ok."

"Ok?" I said, "that's all you're going to say?"

"Yeah," she responded. "I guess that's a good point"

My response: "Wow, I can't believe you just gave up. I guess you really are French."

A few points that I would just like to make

- I find the fact that you're comparing current levels of military spending to levels of past empires is ludicrous. Culturally and societally speaking, war is far less important today than it was back then.[SUP]1[/SUP] Men were raised to be soldiers at that time, and it was essentially the fallback option for a nation's foreign policy.[SUP]2[/SUP] Somewhere in the late 20th century, after WWII and the Cold War had gotten WAY out of hand and we realized that we could obliterate civilization in a matter of hours and globalization grew, diplomacy and trade became far more important foreign policy than military spending.[SUP]3[/SUP] If we felt the same way about our military that people and governments did during the regimes with which you're comparing current US spending, we would have killed ourselves as a human race by now.[SUP]4[/SUP]

- Having lived in Western Europe, I can assure you that people like Obama and their perceptions of Americans have changed for the better less because of the fact that he's cool and moreso because Bush was such a colossal disaster.[SUP]5[/SUP] We are thought of as warmongers because that's what we've been.[SUP]6[/SUP] Europe is now in a unique position because the EU has forced them to be diplomatic with each other instead of just trying to kill each other as they've done throughout the rest of history.[SUP]7[/SUP] There is no room for leading a war there. They don't regard their military as heros (perhaps a UK exception), and they view US military spending as threatening and unsustainable. I am inclined to think that they have sent troops with us to keep good trade relations, not because they think we're doing them some sort of protective favor.[SUP]8[/SUP] That is just my feeling.

- That being said, there is obviously an advantage to having the world's strongest military. I think we forget how incredibly exceptional it is that we have military bases on other countries' soil. What if France had a military base here? How would we feel about that? It's a strange concept. Someone was telling me recently about a Spanish company that was doing a large amount of business in a South American nation (Bolivia maybe?) and the South American nation promptly nationalized that company. I'd like to see them have the St. Ones to pull that trick with an American company. That is the benefit of our military.[SUP]9[/SUP] It serves as a warning that we have displayed too carelessly this century. [SUP]10[/SUP]

For Romney to try to go back to that crap would be insane, harm stability and harm our safety. Do you think a person is more likely to hate and attack the United States because their government told them to or because our troops patrol their streets and maybe one of their family members was killed? There's an argument to be made there, for sure, but I'd rather not spend the money trying to force it. I personally know soldiers who have made stories and tell stories of amazing relationships they have made with locals and men and women who have come to love America because of the generosity shown by our troops, but one bad apple does A LOT of damage. Is it worth the money and the risk?[SUP]11[/SUP]

1. Nothing has changed. War is less "culturally" important because of the international system that the United States has founded and maintained. This international system, while not totally stable, represents the highest level of sociopolitical aggregation on the planet. War has not ceased being relevant, and it will not cease to be relevant. Just because a certain level of peaceful human interaction has been achieved, that doesn't mean that it cannot be undone. We saw in 1914 a system of great power cooperation collapse, and the international system reverted to a state of Hobbesian anarchy. It's a fallacy to think that somehow "this time is different". Human nature doesn't change. History has illustrated this repeatedly.

2. War is always the fallback option for foreign policy, and it still is. It just hasn't been exercised nearly as often recently, because most nations are able to calculate that the likelihood of defeating the de facto world government, the United States, in a military conflict, is exceedingly small. So, they make the best of their situation and maximize their utility under the parameters set by the United States in the post-Soviet Union international order. As soon as nations begin to feel that it is worth it for them to engage in a military conflict with the United States in order to achieve their goals, they will.

3. This happened not because we came to some collective existential realization, but because the victors of those two conflicts were able to design an international system and enforce the rules using their own military power. If we had really had some moment of realization, then we would have seen universal nuclear disarmament by now. And although there have been arms reductions, great powers will always keep stockpiles to hedge against the risk of a nuclear attack, however unlikely it may seem. It's human nature to not want to expose ourselves to risk. The best way to minimize the existential risk to ourselves is to maximize the existential risk to our potential adversaries should they decide to attack.

4. How so? Empirically speaking, the 19th century was the most peaceful century this planet has ever seen since the inception of large scale political organization. Throughout that century, all those countries had high levels of military spending. In Europe prior to World War II, most countries massively demobilized, assuming that a peace for the ages was at hand. This massive demobilization was followed by the most devastating conflict in the history of man. After World War II, both superpowers, the United States and the Soviet Union, were very militaristic in their foreign policies, yet a great power conflict never erupted. Do you have any evidence for what you are saying? It isn't attitudes that have changed, it's political realities.

5. I don't see how this is relevant. So you are saying that the attitudes of entire countries changed because the guy who is leading the global hegemon is perceived is less arrogant than the last guy? Thank God for representative government. If Europe hated America so much during the Bush years, why didn't they declare war on us? Why didn't they hike tariffs? Why didn't they withdraw their diplomatic representation?

6. So what? They can think of us as Martians for all I care. Everybody has a problem with the guy in charge.

7. The EU has forced them to be diplomatic with each other? How so? What is stopping Germany from declaring war on Poland right now? Is it the EU? No, ignoring the fact that it wouldn't even be in Germany's interests to attack, it's NATO, and NATO's principle mechanism of enforcement, the United States military. You are correct to perceive the benefits that mutual cooperation brings to a society, but you are missing what allows the cooperation in the first place, a monopoly of force (government) achieved by a principal actor. When force is taken out of the equation by the monopolist, all the other actors have a huge incentive to maximize their own well being through methods not involving force. This is how a peaceful society arises. As soon as the monopoly disappears, actors begin to see that they can achieve even more through unscrupulous means, causing them to defect from the system. This, of course, changes the incentives of all the other actors, leading to a vicious cycle of violence that concludes in the total collapse of the society.

8. They don't view their troops as heroes because their troops don't do anything heroic. They are inclined to send troops to Afghanistan because they are obliged to under Article 5 of the NATO charter, and they have a great interest in remaining in NATO. And also because they want to maintain good trade relations with the United States.

9. I agree with all this.

10. And I disagree with this. The other actors in the system must be reminded of the disincentive to not act aggressively. If they think that the United States won't respond to a breach in the international system, conflict will arise.

11. Yes, it is absolutely worth the risk. Like most other orchestrated international systems, ours provides global stability. I would argue that given its nature, it provides much more stability than previous systems, and I think the facts would bear that argument out. But what makes our system entirely unique is that it is the first such system to be based upon the founding principles of our nation, liberty, equality, and free markets. Humanity under the leadership of the United States has been more prosperous than at any other time in history. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:
Is that a response via footnotes? You are very organized.

Really Kanhoji is the one who deserves the credit. Without the garish colors-within-quotes I would never have realized how barbaric the old ways of replying were.

1. Nothing has changed. War is less "culturally" important because of the international system that the United States has founded and maintained. This international system, while not totally stable, represents the highest level of sociopolitical aggregation on the planet. War has not ceased being relevant, and it will not cease to be relevant. Just because a certain level of peaceful human interaction has been achieved, that doesn't mean that it cannot be undone. We saw in 1914 a system of great power cooperation collapse, and the international system reverted to a state of Hobbesian anarchy. It's a fallacy to think that somehow "this time is different". Human nature doesn't change. History has illustrated this repeatedly.

The international system that we have set up and maintained is in many parts full of authoritarian regimes, dictators and despots because of our military (and intelligence) actions. I'm not saying get rid of it because we're terrible, I'm saying that this cycle will never stop if we continue to feel the need to intervene at every turn. If we're going to intervene, do it for the right reasons. We are exponentially safer by fighting for the rights of foreign citizens to have their own democracy, under their terms and permitted because of our intervention, than installing our own "guy." Furthermore, your 1914 example does not bear much relevance because it is pre-decolonization and pre-WWII - the defining characteristics of the society we have since established. Of course war is still relevant, I never said it wasn't. People will likely always be at war. However, to justify our spending by comparing it to a time when war was lower stakes is not proper. While I understand that WWI happened after a time of relative peace amongst major powers (excluding the Boer Wars), my point is that everyone was a lot more eager to shoot the shit out of each other than they are now.

2. War is always the fallback option for foreign policy, and it still is. It just hasn't been exercised nearly as often recently, because most nations are able to calculate that the likelihood of defeating the de facto world government, the United States, in a military conflict, is exceedingly small. So, they make the best of their situation and maximize their utility under the parameters set by the United States in the post-Soviet Union international order. As soon as nations begin to feel that it is worth it for them to engage in a military conflict with the United States in order to achieve their goals, they will.

This paragraph conflicts itself. You're saying that war IS the fallback option, only right now it isn't because of the US, and if we were gone everyone would be at war again. I find that a difficult conclusion to come to given how much we all globally depend on each other through trade. The fallback option for governments is diplomacy and sanctions, while for vested interests it is essentially multinational corporation operations, which governments aim to protect.

3. This happened not because we came to some collective existential realization, but because the victors of those two conflicts were able to design an international system and enforce the rules using their own military power. If we had really had some moment of realization, then we would have seen universal nuclear disarmament by now. And although there have been arms reductions, great powers will always keep stockpiles to hedge against the risk of a nuclear attack, however unlikely it may seem. It's human nature to not want to expose ourselves to risk. The best way to minimize the existential risk to ourselves is to maximize the existential risk to our potential adversaries should they decide to attack.

I disagree that we would see this by now. It is a slow, painful process that I hope will continue and accelerate. If we still lived like we used to, we would have used those weapons. There were essentially two sets of rules; Western and Eastern. If we wanted to use military might to enforce those rules, we would have, and did to a certain extent in proxy wars, but we did not use nuclear weapons because we don't want to obliterate the Earth. If we're going to use military spending on nuclear arsenals, use it to keep them as harmless as possible while reducing them to a reasonable level. I think we can agree on that, and I think we agree that nukes are not "real" weapons so much as they are a threat, which fits to my argument of realizing how out of hand it had gotten.

4. How so? Empirically speaking, the 19th century was the most peaceful century this planet has ever seen since the inception of large scale political organization. Throughout that century, all those countries had high levels of military spending. In Europe prior to World War II, most countries massively demobilized, assuming that a peace for the ages was at hand. This massive demobilization was followed by the most devastating conflict in the history of man. After World War II, both superpowers, the United States and the Soviet Union, were very militaristic in their foreign policies, yet a great power conflict never erupted. Do you have any evidence for what you are saying? It isn't attitudes that have changed, it's political realities.

You made my argument for me here. The reality is that the US and USSR could not directly attack each other because no one would win. We would all die. My statement of changing attitudes referred to the late 20th century, after WWII and the Cold War, as I stated.

5. I don't see how this is relevant. So you are saying that the attitudes of entire countries changed because the guy who is leading the global hegemon is perceived is less arrogant than the last guy? Thank God for representative government. If Europe hated America so much during the Bush years, why didn't they declare war on us? Why didn't they hike tariffs? Why didn't they withdraw their diplomatic representation?

Someone earlier in the thread said that they thought Europeans only liked Obama because he was cool. I was responding to that. And it's not about the arrogance, it's about the fact that we invaded 2 countries, one on shoddy intelligence. They didn't declare war on us because we were sauntering around like a child playing Risk and we have more weapons, and because we are NATO allies. Are you saying that we should keep our high level of military spending so that we do dumb shit like we did during the Bush years? Come on, I don't know what argument you're trying to conjure up there.

6. So what? They can think of us as Martians for all I care. Everybody has a problem with the guy in charge.

If you want to be a warmonger, then that's a pretty sick position to take. Don't glorify war. These are real people and real Americans dying.

7. The EU has forced them to be diplomatic with each other? How so? What is stopping Germany from declaring war on Poland right now? Is it the EU? No, aside from the fact that it wouldn't even be in their interests, it's NATO, and NATO's principle mechanism of enforcement, the United States military. You are correct to perceive the benefits that mutual cooperation brings to a society, but you are missing what allows the cooperation in the first place, a monopoly of force (government) achieved by a principal actor. When force is taken out of the equation by the monopolist, all the other actors have a huge incentive to maximize their own well being through methods not involving force. This is how a peaceful society arises. As soon as the monopoly disappears, actors begin to see that they can achieve even more through unscrupulous means, causing them to defect from the system. This, of course, changes the incentives of all the other actors, leading to a vicious cycle of violence that concludes in the total collapse of the society.

2 things. First, I think you're severely discounting the EU. These cultures have been trying to eliminate each other for all of history. Now they are economically and politically tied. Why do you think it's such a big deal if Greece leaves the Eurozone? Everyone has a stake in everyone else. Second, you're essentially acting like an autocrat at this point. You're saying that one element of force needs to keep everyone in control, by their own decision-making, and once no one else can do anything there will be peace. That's not the role I want us or our allies to take. That's bully shit. That is what makes people hate us.

8. They don't view their troops as heroes because their troops don't do anything heroic. They are inclined to send troops to Afghanistan because they are obliged to under Article 5 of the NATO charter, and they have a great interest in remaining in NATO. And also because they want to maintain good trade relations with the United States.

This just furthers my point - they don't want to go to war, they do because they feel like they have to, and for reasons that their sons should not be dying. If I were them I'd hate the Bush administration too. It's wars made their sons go to war for unheroic reasons.

9. I agree with all this.

10. And I disagree with this. The other actors in the system must be reminded of the disincentive to not act aggressively. If they think that the United States won't respond to a breach in the international system, conflict will arise.

See the bolded part above

11. Yes, it is absolutely worth the risk. Like most other orchestrated international systems, ours provides global stability. I would argue that given its nature, it provides much more stability than previous systems, and I think the facts would bear that argument out. But what makes our system entirely unique is that it is the first such system to be based upon the founding principles of our nation, liberty, equality, and free markets. Humanity under the leadership of the United States has been more prosperous than at any other time in history. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I bolded one part of my response because it is the cornerstone of my argument. You think we're playing a board game. You think we can just keep everyone under our control and excuse it for the sake of "stability." You would have supported the Mubarak and Al-Bashar regimes, and that, my friend, is NOT based on the founding principles of our nation.

And as a side note - I'm enjoying this argument but we HAVE to find a way to cut it down or just take each others' arguments for what they're worth. We're likely the only 2 reading through this book right now.

This is probably the scariest thread I've ever read. At least I know in no uncertain terms what the neocon delusion is now.

I can't believe there are actually people that believe there's a logical explanation for US military spending beyond "the companies that make a ton of money off it buy Congressmen" and/or having a military of mostly young people of questionable economic utility keeps the unemployment rate down.

Everything else is manufactured - the wars manufacture the enemies, which manufactures the tale that we need military all over the world to deal with threats before they come here. It's no accident that bin Laden was killed rather than captured - it would have been a disaster if he could have given the reasons for his jihad.

It's Orwellian economic/foreign policy and has been since the 50s if not before.

I think cyberwarfare is the real wave of the future. And it is definitely less expensive. Hire the best hackers and shut down power grids. Then your enemy is in the shit. Conversely, your defense costs will increase. I wonder how protected we really are. Not where we need to be I would imagine.

Which is another reason we need to build a new and much more secure elctrical grid.

Back