• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney's VP Pick: process of elimination = Portman

ncsportsnut1

Reaction score
Rubio: not ready for national stage; great speaker; conservatives would like the pick; has potential "baggage" that could distract and get Team Romney off message; Florida is leaning Republican and don't need Rubio to carry the state if Romney stays on track

Christie: two Northeasterners on national ticket? Christie would have potential issues and possibly distract as well, probably better at the top of ticket in future election

McDonnell: A strong second. Would help solidify Virginia into Republican column, conservative credentials, good speaker. Governor experience big plus also. Potential distraction with recent proposed legislation re: reproductive. That may be enough.

Jindal: Solid, enthusiastic, brings some diversity to ticket; governor and experienced with managing responses to large catastrophic events. A good speaker except for the one bomb. Passes "could he be President" test; but Louisiana already in the bag. Not sure he would add enough "oomph" to national ticket to be the pick.

Martinez: Like Rubio, high potential, female Hispanic would send positive message, but again, just too early in her career and not yet ready for national spotlight. Would help with Western states and chip away at Hispanic deficit. Governor a plus. Would help with New Mexico which is important. Can't see it happening until she has more experience.

Which brings me to:

Portman

Portman delivers Ohio. Passes "able to be President" test. Portman delivers Ohio and could put Romney over the top in a close election. Any attempt to attack Portman on his prior experience in Republican administrations can easily be muted and won't stick. No baggage, fully vetted in campaigns and career. Without Ohio, hard to see Romney winning. Florida and Virginia already moving towards Romney, Ohio is going to be neck and neck all the way to the end. Portman is bland, and in this election, bland is good because it does not draw attention away from Obama's record and Romney's message on the economy.

In this election, voters who oppose Obama do not need to be "excited" by a Romney candidacy or the VP pick in order to turn out and vote. Voters who oppose Obama have their motivation to make sure he doesn't get a second term, find motivation in the deficits and budget issues, religious freedom, and others. While certain names may further enthuse the "base", they are already committed to vote in high numbers in November and it's not necessary to take any risk with the VP pick. Nor do you want the VP pick to draw attention to himself or distract from Romney's message.

You're not saying anything that hasn't been said several times over the last month. It's a sad statement about our election process that Republicans are settling for Romney and that consensus is that there's only one reasonable and safe pick for his VP. In a nation of over 300M people, this is the best we can do.

Rob Portman- the guy who helped W turn a 5T suprlus into $1.4T deficits...Yep that's a good choice.

Maybe Gov. Martinez of NM. Somebody not interested in at all -Kay Bailey Hutchison.

You're not saying anything that hasn't been said several times over the last month. It's a sad statement about our election process that Republicans are settling for Romney and that consensus is that there's only one reasonable and safe pick for his VP. In a nation of over 300M people, this is the best we can do.

I have no doubt that my thoughts are not original and have seen various comments on various candidates. This is just my personal thoughts about how it's going to shake out and seeking feedback. Next up, Republicans aren't "settling" for Romney. Romney's qualifications personally and professionally far exceed Obama's period handsdown, whether it be Candidate Obama from 2008 or the current President Obama 2012. Side by side comparison is obvious to even the least objective person. Portman is solid and delivers Ohio and is a gamechanger for that reason alone.

Rob Portman- the guy who helped W turn a 5T suprlus into $1.4T deficits...Yep that's a good choice.

That's not going to stick RJ. Even if it sticks elsewhere in the country, it won't stick where it counts: Ohio. Lastly, even if that weak attack (and only attack I've ever heard against Portman) does stick (and it won't), it won't affect the top of the ticket's #s. And did I already say Portman delivers Ohio?

I have no doubt that my thoughts are not original and have seen various comments on various candidates. This is just my personal thoughts about how it's going to shake out and seeking feedback. Next up, Republicans aren't "settling" for Romney. Romney's qualifications personally and professionally far exceed Obama's period handsdown, whether it be Candidate Obama from 2008 or the current President Obama 2012. Side by side comparison is obvious to even the least objective person. Portman is solid and delivers Ohio and is a gamechanger for that reason alone.

Republicans are settling for Romney because the overwhelming evidence is that they don't like him as much as they'd prefer to like their candidate.

Could you expound on how Romney's "personal and professional" qualifications far exceed Obama's? And include the words "foreign policy" in your answer about the professional. What's your beef with Obama's personal life? You'd be hard pressed to find two cleaner candidates.

That's the second time you've said this. We have never in the history of this country had a five trillion dollar surplus. Why do you insist on lying?

Republicans are settling for Romney because the overwhelming evidence is that they don't like him as much as they'd prefer to like their candidate.

Could you expound on how Romney's "personal and professional" qualifications far exceed Obama's? And include the words "foreign policy" in your answer about the professional. What's your beef with Obama's personal life? You'd be hard pressed to find two cleaner candidates.

Why does foreign policy experience matter? It didn't matter in 2008, why is it such a pressing concern in 2012?

Romney's success at the Olympics and Bain Capital demonstrates leadership, as well as a high economic IQ. I don't have to include "foreign policy". When Obama ran in 2008 he had no direct foreign policy experience. Romney has not negotiated with other heads of state, but his leadership in the above situations will fare him well in working with leaders of other countries. Personally he is solid, stable, great family man, husband, etc. I have no beef with Obama's personal life. He has been a good role model as husband and father for the nation and the African-American community especially. That, however, does not mean he is a good leader for our nation's economy or foreign policy. Obama had zero leadership roles prior to running for state representative in Illinois or running for U.S. Senate or for Presidenti. He wasn't a governor, or the head of a business, or the head of a large nonprofit organization. In each of those situations the ultimate responsibility for decisions and choices llays upon the shoulders of one person at the top of the organization.

He is President of the United States.

You'd think. It doesn't compare to running a Winter Olympics though.

You'd think. It doesn't compare to running a Winter Olympics though.

The crazy thing about that is how badly the Olympics screw over the cities in which they're held, particularly as a result of how badly the IOC is able to manipulate local political machines and leadership.

The crazy thing about that is how badly the Olympics screw over the cities in which they're held, particularly as a result of how badly the IOC is able to manipulate local political machines and leadership.

Pretty sure they can end up being economic loosers as well if stadiums and what not are built.

Romney's success at the Olympics and Bain Capital demonstrates leadership, as well as a high economic IQ. I don't have to include "foreign policy". When Obama ran in 2008 he had no direct foreign policy experience. Romney has not negotiated with other heads of state, but his leadership in the above situations will fare him well in working with leaders of other countries. Personally he is solid, stable, great family man, husband, etc. I have no beef with Obama's personal life. He has been a good role model as husband and father for the nation and the African-American community especially. That, however, does not mean he is a good leader for our nation's economy or foreign policy. Obama had zero leadership roles prior to running for state representative in Illinois or running for U.S. Senate or for Presidenti. He wasn't a governor, or the head of a business, or the head of a large nonprofit organization. In each of those situations the ultimate responsibility for decisions and choices llays upon the shoulders of one person at the top of the organization.

You said that Romney's personal qualifications far exceed Obama's. Can you explain that?

Agreed that Romney's qualifications are more impressive than the 2008 Barack Obama, but you didn't compare Romney to his current opposition who has been president for 4 years. Pretty difficult argument to make that running the Olympics, an investment firm, and being a one term Governor is better preparation to be president than actually being President for the past 4 years. I personally think Romney will/would do a fine job as President, and I think that he is qualified (hopefully people can look at a candidate and decide that regardless of party affiliation or whether they agree with the candidate or not) but that doesn't mean that Obama is unqualified.

Both are qualified, I think Obama's qualifications at this point are better, but that doesn't mean he should win either. McCain was much more qualified than Obama, but Obama dusted him in an election. The most qualified candidate does not/should not always win (insert BKF rant about Bush's 2nd term :) ).

You said that Romney's personal qualifications far exceed Obama's. Can you explain that?

Pretty easy to explain idiot. Obama is a secret cell Muslim jihadist that is hellbent on bringing down the American way of living. Romney is a Christian family man.

Was that so hard? - Nick Burns, your company computer guy..

Last edited:
Back