• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman is in over his head

RangersboysWFBB

Reaction score
I know this is HAAS because I posted as a response elsewhere. Regardless, in an effort to spark conversation and feed my need for attention, here it is again.

People need to divorce themselves from this fantasy that all of the pathetically embarrassing PR snafus currently surrounding Bz’s job security are apart of some tight lipped, poker faced, close to the vest-byproduct, of Premiere Wellman’s master plan. There not. It’s bizarre incompetent behavior borne out of a department unprepared to deal with an incredibly foreseeable and inevitable cicrumstance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; placing an arbitrary title next to someone's name often elevates our opinion of that persons intellectual capacity and ability, even when the substance of their work and behavior suggest differently. The AD position at Wake Forest is a prestigious position, that at times, can require someone who is exceptional to take on extraordinarily difficult tasks. At other times, the nature of the job and its prestige can make extremely ordinary people look exceptional.

I do not believe that Ron Wellman is exceptional or in any respect, a "genius" at his craft. I do believe he is an extremely ordinary person who happens to be articulate and very personable amongst his peers, desirable traits for such a position, but as we are seeing, they are traits that are insufficient alone to competently carry a person through all of the requirements of the job.

Not to reduce the man or his part in our relative success over the past 22 years but, RON WELLMAN IS A FORMER BASEBALL COACH WHO EARNED A DEGREE IN P.E. FROM BOWLING GREEN STATE. If he never got into the Collegiate Admin line of work, I could not see him being a lawyer, doctor, professor or business tycoon, but I do believe he would be an extremely successful used car salesman. That's who he is and that is what I think he has given us over the years which has been great. But it is 2014 and we need a lot more right now.

Furthermore, I think that allot if the praise, accolades, and various titles he has earned/received over the years may be the catalyst for his arrested development as a modern day Athletic Director. He has not grown at all. i thought it very telling that one of Clawson's first missions were to "modernize" our recruiting efforts.

He still reacts and behaves like it is 1995 and he is completely oblivious that a technology/mass media revolution ever occurred. Despite his perceived ability to glad hand and spin, everything seemingly PR that comes out of that office seems mickey mouse and amateur hour. Fuck the fact he attempts to spin his mistakes. I'm more embarrassed and appalled at how ineffective he is at it in today's climate. We are so grossly underprepared and equipped for the billion dollar business that is D1 College sports today that it is scary.

And Lastly, to completely curb stomp the rotting carcass of a show horse, if Nathan Hatch does not appreciate the bottom line importance of major D1 sports to the well-being of our university, the has absolutely no clue where his bread is buttered. That is some serious sad clown, ironic shit for a school that prides itself on it’s business acumen.

No such thing as a Haas when it comes to this subject. Wellman is an illustration of the Peter Principle in action. They could do a business school class on this travesty but who would care?

He's not in over his head. He's a con artist.

Oh yeah, and Kudos to the Stratts, VTWhat, and all the people who organized and financed the billboards, ads, and websites. They’ve been the epitome of anti-LOWF actors throughout this whole debacle. A lot of us talked a bunch of shit, but thank you for nutting up and taking action.

Also you can take that “embarrassing the school” and “Wake Forest Way” mess and kindly shove it up your ass. I don’t knowwhat sort of Wake Forest Way you people are referencing, but I feel certain it does not implore us to grin and bear it (failure encompanied by deception) as we exclaim, "Such a pattern, what colors!" I'll be sure to tell the Emperor how delighted I am with it."

Get off your emaciated high horse and stop addressing real Wake Fans like their seas of drunken Eagles fans who just assaulted a 9 year-old girl for wearing a Cowboys jersey “in their house.” That’s bullshit. This dude has been treated with nothing but respect since the day he was hired here and started cashing 7 figure checks. The bzz-out movement has been nothing less than apropos, deliberate, and respectful since its inception.

Last edited:
Yes, another thread!!!!!!!!!!

You realize you're not being forcefully redirected to these threads right? You clicking on it, reading it, responding to it…these are all choices. It's one thing to post a response disagreeing with the content of said thread. it's another to deliberately respond to a thread based on your objection for its existence. Do you see the irony of that when you never had to acknowledge its existence in the first place?

I know this is HAAS because I posted as a response elsewhere. Regardless, in an effort to spark conversation and feed my need for attention, here it is again.

People need to divorce themselves from this fantasy that all of the pathetically embarrassing PR snafus currently surrounding Bz’s job security are apart of some tight lipped, poker faced, close to the vest-byproduct, of Premiere Wellman’s master plan. There not. It’s bizarre incompetent behavior borne out of a department unprepared to deal with an incredibly foreseeable and inevitable cicrumstance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; placing an arbitrary title next to someone's name often elevates our opinion of that persons intellectual capacity and ability, even when the substance of their work and behavior suggest differently. The AD position at Wake Forest is a prestigious position, that at times, can require someone who is exceptional to take on extraordinarily difficult tasks. At other times, the nature of the job and its prestige can make extremely ordinary people look exceptional.

I do not believe that Ron Wellman is exceptional or in any respect, a "genius" at his craft. I do believe he is an extremely ordinary person who happens to be articulate and very personable amongst his peers, desirable traits for such a position, but as we are seeing, they are traits that are insufficient alone to competently carry a person through all of the requirements of the job.

Not to reduce the man or his part in our relative success over the past 22 years but, RON WELLMAN IS A FORMER BASEBALL COACH WHO EARNED A DEGREE IN P.E. FROM BOWLING GREEN STATE. If he never got into the Collegiate Admin line of work, I could not see him being a lawyer, doctor, professor or business tycoon, but I do believe he would be an extremely successful used car salesman. That's who he is and that is what I think he has given us over the years which has been great. But it is 2014 and we need a lot more right now.

Furthermore, I think that allot if the praise, accolades, and various titles he has earned/received over the years may be the catalyst for his arrested development as a modern day Athletic Director. He has not grown at all. i thought it very telling that one of Clawson's first missions were to "modernize" our recruiting efforts.

He still reacts and behaves like it is 1995 and he is completely oblivious that a technology/mass media revolution ever occurred. Despite his perceived ability to glad hand and spin, everything seemingly PR that comes out of that office seems mickey mouse and amateur hour. Fuck the fact he attempts to spin his mistakes. I'm more embarrassed and appalled at how ineffective he is at it in today's climate. We are so grossly underprepared and equipped for the billion dollar business that is D1 College sports today that it is scary.

And Lastly, to completely curb stomp the rotting carcass of a show horse, if Nathan Hatch does not appreciate the bottom line importance of major D1 sports to the well-being of our university, the has absolutely no clue where his bread is buttered. That is some serious sad clown, ironic shit for a school that prides itself on it’s business acumen.

You have said a lot about what is very apparent to many. What suggestions, if any, do you have to actually solve the problems that you have identified? What do you think can be done to remedy the problems surrounding our Athletic Department?

#Wellmanout till he is gone.

Watching the play in game this PM. Thought I saw Wellman sitting once again like last night at his usual scorer table perch. Looks like he does not have a worry in the universe...everything is "Magnolias" in Ron Wellman's world...

Back