• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman meets the media.

We need to get JR to come and say "OH MY GOD, THE AUDACITY OF MR WELLMAN! HE IS A SICK, TWISTED MAN. NO-ONE COULD HAVE PREDICTED THIS HORROR."

Wellman needs to announce his awful news, drop the mic, and have this blaring throughout Winston-Salem:

Reactions: Ayo
Woody, it's time for operation make all the ZSR printers run out of ink. You know what to do. Go to Lowe's Foods for the wired $.
It's time to be more direct and go straight to the source. I'm storming into Ron's office and going to ask him for one OBJECTIVE argument for retaining Buzz.

I so much want to be excited about Wake basketball again- you can make this happen for all of us RW! We beg of you that you do the right thing and end this nightmare now!

If Buzz gets an extension, it means two things:

1. Wellman is poking a stick in the eye of every sane person on this board (this is the least concerning of the two); and
2. The people in charge of WFU think that everyone other than them is wrong and Buzz should be an ACC Head Coach.

Either way, that will tell me that I am making a bad emotional investment caring about sports programs managed by people who think so differently than I do. In other words, if this happens, Wellman will turn my apathy (which he already distilled from my lifelong passion) into disdain.

It's time to be more direct and go straight to the source. I'm storming into Ron's office and going to ask him for one OBJECTIVE argument for retaining Buzz.

If you wait until Wednesday I will come to videotape this encounter.

maybe Wellman just really really likes being on the Selection Committee and doesn't want to miss a single second by having to recuse himself so that's why he keeps Bz around.

Talking Point #1: Wake will not compromise its ability to compete while running a program with the highest respect off the field. Our student-athletes are representatives of the University, so that negative publicity disrespects Wake Forest, which we all respect so much.

Talking Pt #2: Our fans will come back when the team wins. The fans who are disgruntled right now, I understand their disgruntlement. We’re not winning as much as they want to win. And they want the same thing as I want. And they’ll come back when our team wins. So we just have to win, and we will do that eventually.

Talking PT #3: We have made significant improvements in the culture of the program, and things are looking good for the Deacons.

Obviously he's not firing [Redacted]. If he was, wouldn't he just be calling a press conference? This is just a spin doctor media tour, nothing more.

I just started watching The Following with the wife. Got me thinking, is it possible that Wellman, Buzz, Hatch, the BOTs have all been brainwashed by some crazy old dude exacting revenge against us over-priveledged, elitist fans? BKF comes to mind. Still pissed about Tacy?

Makes you wonder...

That "Hire FGCU Coach Please" thread was so great. It was like when Andy Dufresne played The Marriage of Figaro over the PA system at Shawshank. It reminded us of what it felt like to have hope. I get a sense that will end tomorrow, as these interviews will probably be the equivalent of Hadley breaking down the door and clubbing us down to remind us of our place.

Harv as Red: "I have no idea to this day what Say Hey and those fellas were talking about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were talking about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those comments soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like Mr. and Mrs. Enfield flapped into our drab little world and made [Redacted] and Wellman dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last Wake Forest fan felt free."

Hopefully this nightmare ends with the Deacon crawling to freedom through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness.

I heard its a 7-year extension to round his tenure to even decade

Any chance the he tells the media that Bz has resigned? I'm sure that is not what happens...but I'm asleep and dreaming about ACC championships & deep, dep runs in the NCAA. Please, don't wake me up yet.

That "Hire FGCU Coach Please" thread was so great. It was like when Andy Dufresne played The Marriage of Figaro over the PA system at Shawshank. It reminded us of what it felt like to have hope. I get a sense that will end tomorrow, as these interviews will probably be the equivalent of Hadley breaking down the door and clubbing us down to remind us of our place.

ANDY (taps his heart, his head) The music was here...and here. That's the one thing they can't confiscate, not ever. That's the beauty of it. Haven't you ever felt that way about music, Red?

RED
Played a mean harmonica as a younger man. Lost my taste for it. Didn't make much sense on the inside.

ANDY
Here's where it makes most sense. We need it so we don't forget.

RED
Forget?

ANDY
That there are things in this world not carved out of gray stone. That there's a small place inside of us they can never lock away, and that place is called hope.

RED
Hope is a dangerous thing. Drive a man insane. It's got no place here. Better get used to the idea.

ANDY
(softly) Like Brooks did?

Would love to see a creative type make a mashup youtube video of the Shawshank with the Deacon superimposed over Andy Dufresne's character in key scenes. There's no way that thing doesn't go viral.

Anyone in Winston who lives near Buzz??? See if he is in town. He may have departed for the beach. In order to remove himself from harms way... Do not be too negative, this thing may have positive implications.

As I mentioned earlier: Hope for the Best but prepare yourself for the worst!

Talking Point #1: Wake will not compromise its ability to compete while running a program with the highest respect off the field. Our student-athletes are representatives of the University, so that negative publicity disrespects Wake Forest, which we all respect so much.

Talking Pt #2: Our fans will come back when the team wins. The fans who are disgruntled right now, I understand their disgruntlement. We’re not winning as much as they want to win. And they want the same thing as I want. And they’ll come back when our team wins. So we just have to win, and we will do that eventually.

Talking PT #3: We have made significant improvements in the culture of the program, and things are looking good for the Deacons.

Wake PR guys are furiously writting down this post.

My question: How hard is it for you to be completely incompetent at your job? Do you have to try to pick the wrong thing to do on a consistent basis or is it something that just comes naturally? Do you stay up until 4 in the morning worried you might accidentally have chosen a position which would be even slightly positive for the basketball program? This question is directed for either [Redacted] or Ronny boy.

Close to 500 people on Capitol Hill do this on a regular basis

- Going by the pre-Wake numbers, what makes you feel that [Redacted] can elevate the program?
- Do you understand why the "culture" comment did not go over well with alumni and fans?
- Who handles PR for the Athletic Dept? Is there an opening?
- Do you find it troubling to know that not one single player came to the defense of coach [Redacted] when the ads were placed in the student paper as well as the News and Observer?
- Both football and basketball have been bottom dwellers of the ACC the past 3 years, what gives you the confidence that this trend will reverse in a conference that has added tougher competition?
- What can you promise Deacon fans for next season?

Back