• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman's Legacy

And it would have been one thing if the hire were objectively reasonable at the time. But even at the time, it looked like a terrible hire.

Is there any top level AD that hasn't raised a ton of money for facilities over the last 20 years? That's more a function of being in the captain's chair during the college athletics arms race. Would have other AD have had less success with fundraising? Probably not, since no one else would have irritated their donors with four years of Bz.

Congrats to Wellman for being AD at a school with rich alums.

I mean, I'll gladly give Wellman whatever credit he deserves for hiring Grobe and Clawson and the improvements made to the football program. I feel like the football program, while still behind an 8 ball to an extent, is in a much better position to compete than it was 20 years ago. However, Wellman's mishandling of head coaching position of the basketball program has destroyed it and set it back so far, it's almost unforgivable. Sure, we were never UNC, but we were a very solid program that was certainly winning a good bit more than we were losing. He's taken the life out of the program, the life out of what was once a tough place for opponents to play. It's really depressing, because Wake basketball used to be special to me, now it's more of an annoyance.

It's not like Wellman improved our facilities to get us ahead of the competition. All he really did was enough for Wake to keep from falling further behind the other schools in the ACC. We are still at or near the bottom of the conference in regards to our facilities.

It's not like Wellman improved our facilities to get us ahead of the competition. All he really did was enough for Wake to keep from falling further behind the other schools in the ACC. We are still at or near the bottom of the conference in regards to our facilities.

Yeah, but we're never going to be able to completely keep up there. Whether he deserves credit for that or not, we're much closer than we've been in that aspect.

As far as I know, he's kept bear attacks to a minimum. His bear patrol must be working.

250px-Bear_patrol.png

As far as his facility building goes, he’s done little to nothing to improve the basketball arena. Which again, is the flagship program.

Have to disagree with some of these statements. Wake facilities should be as good as any. Maybe not as big but first class quality wise. Take the baseball stadium tour to see what a great result that upgrade is. The two new buildings on campus should allow us to complete with anyone in terms of facilities.
Basketball may historically be our flagship program but football seems to run the show now in terms of revenues, conference appeal and ultimately, TV appeal. I’ve heard that Clawson had a list of improvements he wanted and we have and are in the process of fulfilling them. I am in big favor of keeping Clawson satisfied and here at Wake for a long time. Quite frankly he has been making statements like he is here for a longer haul. If he stays he could very well have the second statue on campus.
The coliseum has gotten the scoreboard upgrade with the lighting system, etc. Other improvements are scheduled but require funding. Clawson takes precedence over Manning right now I imagine.

Wellman can take the funding out of his ass. I stopped giving and won't give another dime as long as that horses ass is AD.

Have to disagree with some of these statements. Wake facilities should be as good as any. Maybe not as big but first class quality wise. Take the baseball stadium tour to see what a great result that upgrade is. The two new buildings on campus should allow us to complete with anyone in terms of facilities.
Basketball may historically be our flagship program but football seems to run the show now in terms of revenues, conference appeal and ultimately, TV appeal. I’ve heard that Clawson had a list of improvements he wanted and we have and are in the process of fulfilling them. I am in big favor of keeping Clawson satisfied and here at Wake for a long time. Quite frankly he has been making statements like he is here for a longer haul. If he stays he could very well have the second statue on campus.
The coliseum has gotten the scoreboard upgrade with the lighting system, etc. Other improvements are scheduled but require funding. Clawson takes precedence over Manning right now I imagine.

i dunno, i think we have some good arguments to the contrary re: the necessity of facilities:

Time for him to step down. He has gotten paid enough and his complete autonomy over the AD needs to be overhauled. I dont want Hatch hiring any AD as he is too goofy. Fine with me for a committee of McCreary, Shah and Couch to get this done. It is mostly their money in any case and they have our best interests at heart.

Yeah and I think we're getting to the that point, but the problem is the whole thing has become such an arms race that almost as soon as you build something as nice as anything out there, the bar gets raised by the new facilities at other schools. I think the key is to keep up the facilities to the extent that you're not going to lose recruits because they are so subpar. I think we are at or going to be a level where we can be confident in that, especially compared to the programs we regularly against.

When Clawson wins the College Football Playoff at Wake, Wellman will secure his legacy

When Clawson wins the College Football Playoff at Wake, Wellman will secure his legacy

If Clawson wins the CFP at Wake, I'll forgive Wellman for everything he's done to the basketball program. In fact, I wouldn't even care if we had a basketball program at that point.

Too early to say. Let's save this thread for 2028 when Wellman steps down.

You mean when he dies then right??

Seems a little early but I can't remember how old he is...probably be more like 2035.

But honestly, he's a vampire. Ron Dracula...sucking the life right out of Wake Forest BB since 2010.

is he still, legally, our AD if he transfers his consciousness into a computer

Back