• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roth IRA question

inspectah

Reaction score
I changed jobs and am rolling over my old 401(k), which has a designated Roth component. About 70 percent of the balance is in the Roth portion. My new employer will not allow after-tax transfers, which sucks. Apparently I now have to split the old 401(k) balance in two.

Is there no way to get the two portions back in the same pool without a tax penalty, e.g., maybe an indirect transfer of the Roth portion to my new 401(k)? I like to keep things simple and I hate the thought of having to monitor two accounts. Should I just put the Roth portion into a stand-alone IRA? I'm at a point where the Roth is probably not best for me anyway as I anticipate being in a lower tax bracket at retirement than I am now.

Any advice?

i dont think youll pay taxes on a roth if you draw it down in retirement. not on the contributions or the gains.

as far as rolling it int o anything, i have no idea, but you could probably just roll it in to a roth with whoever your company uses to manage the 401k. how much work do you really do to manage either? i pretty much set it and forget it, and then every once in a while take stock of my allocations to the different funds.

i dont think youll pay taxes on a roth if you draw it down in retirement. not on the contributions or the gains.

His point was a Roth doesnt make sense now because he is paying a higher tax rate by putting after tax money in now than if he put in pre-tax in a regular IRA and paid the lower bracket later.

oh well if it's already in a roth he's already paid taxes on it. that's what i was referring to. i guess i misunderstood.

Back