• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roughly 3 weeks into Trump as PEOTUS...

So there is something inherently wrong with the school choice and charter movements. What am I missing?
No. Absolutely not. Charter schools began as laboratories in educational theory, which were versatile enough to fit in areas where public schools were failing certain students. They served a great purpose, but we're not designed to replace traditional schools. The Charter movement was bastardized by fiscal conservatives who only valued charter schools for being cheaper than public schools, ignoring the fact that these schools don't guarantee improved, or even equal educational outcomes, and they don't have the infrastructure to provide equal opportunity.

Michigan is considered the "Wild West" for Charter schools because they allow and fund nearly every conceivable model of school, no matter how ridiculous or obviously fraudulent, and they have extremely lax accountability measures for the schools, so that schools recruit, fake enrollment numbers, don't keep attendence records, etc.

Last edited:
Interesting how Republicans are all anti-handouts and such but have little interest in privately funding charters, vouchers, or their own homeschooling. They keep sticking their hands in the cookie jar.

No. Absolutely not. Charter schools began as laboratories in educational theory, which were versatile enough to fit in areas where public schools were failing certain students. They served a great purpose, but we're not designed to replace traditional schools. The Charter movement was bastardized by fiscal conservatives who only valued charter schools for being cheaper than public schools, ignoring the fact that these schools don't guarantee improved, or even equal educational outcomes, and they don't have the infrastructure to provide equal opportunity.

Michigan is considered the "Wild West" for Charter schools because they allow and fund nearly every conceivable model of school, no matter how ridiculous or obviously fraudulent, and they have extremely lax accountability measures for the schools, so that schools recruit, fake enrollment numbers, don't keep attendence records, etc.

Meh, it's all the same at this point. If the movement was bastardized then it's bastardized. Plenty of great education ideas don't survive due to uneven implementation (e.g., the Ford Foundation's urban community control experiments of the 60s) and sometimes it's okay to let those ideas die. Charters, whether advocated for by the right or the left, are a pretty good example of an idea that's too far gone to save, IMO.

I disagree with that, but you and I are obviously on the same page in opposing the Republicans pro-charter movement to sabotage the public school system.

Definitely obummer. Is anyone keeping track of net jobs under the MAGA system? We should tack it.

Yeah but I thought that the SCOTUS nominee thing showed a president's second term is only three years. So sounds like this is 100% Trumpster.

Trump is taking the first weekend off. We says he isn't doing any work until Monday.

Ms. Forster, a 52-year-old attorney, voted for Mr. Trump mostly because she didn’t want Democrat Hillary Clinton to win. Now she is nervously watching as he prepares to enter the White House. She likes some of his cabinet picks, but isn’t pleased with his penchant for sending harsh tweets about everything from the U.S. intelligence community to actress Meryl Streep.

“I am hoping that Trump begins to speak and act like the intelligent businessman that I’m sure he is,” she said. “I’m hoping he stops tweeting like a 13-year-old boy and starts acting like an adult.”

There are Trump supporters still expecting a pivot?

Link

There is nothing inherently wrong with the school choice or charter movement, the problem is that Betsy DeVos platform sabotages poor public schools by promoting the cheapest unregulated charter system under the guise of providing free market choice. As charter schools save money through various infrastructure and beauracratic cuts, that money is used for vouchers. The cheaper that public schools become through competition and deregulation, the lower their yearly budgets become, and it's an unsustainable direction.

I am for school choice and the charter movement, however, they need to be held to the same standards as public schools. That was the part that most out of line(along with her saying there was nothing wrong with Trump University). You can't have different standards for private and public schools. The rise of charter schools will inevitably lead to the rise of for profit charter schools where the only interest is in profit and not in education, and that is scary. Deion Sander's prime prep is an example. Charter schools have very little oversight.

Who's the more foolish: The fool (Trump), or the fool who follows him?

Interesting how Republicans are all anti-handouts and such but have little interest in privately funding charters, vouchers, or their own homeschooling. They keep sticking their hands in the cookie jar.

Interesting how the Democrats are all about "choice" when it comes to abortion but against it in so many other areas. Hypocrisy abounds on both sides. We also see with Trump's election that the Democrats have a newfound respect for states' rights. Let's not forget that it was a Republican administration that went to the Supreme Court to fight for the right of the federal government to condition the receipt of money by the states on the adoption of certain policies wanted by our overlords in Washington. A pox on both their houses. .

Back