• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams Credibility Watch

Had a guy on my facebook feed complaining about people gettin on old Roy. He said that unc barely has any any NBA talent while duke has a team of first rounders and good coaches keep it close even when the other team has vastly more talent. I had a good chuckle.

He has no credibility. He wouldn't know the truth if it bit him in the ass.

ROY KNEW.

Doggone it you all know if is not his fault. But many are guessing it is his last season. He is looking old and worn out and guilty as sin.

It's Roy's fault that UNC has no first rounders. He has one good guard and two good shooters on his team. UNC has 7 bigs, 3 guards and 3 wings . Roy chooses who he wants at UNC. He has made some poor recruiting decisions . And unless he has 4 or 5 first rounders, he can't win big.

'Cuse went down. I expect Roy will next. Maybe in 2019...

Roy will leave before the ish hits the fan, Pete Carroll style.

In all seriousness, I don't think Roy is a great coach.

Is that even a question? I guess you could say he is a great recruiter (although he has coached at two schools that basically recruit themselves) but he has probably coaches less than 20 games where the opposing team had more talent than his. He basically has three coaching moves...roll the ball out and watch, sub 5 and scream like a childish buffoon until he gets light headed and nearly passed out. It is a true treasure when he hits the trifecta in one game.

Is that even a question? I guess you could say he is a great recruiter (although he has coached at two schools that basically recruit themselves) but he has probably coaches less than 20 games where the opposing team had more talent than his. He basically has three coaching moves...roll the ball out and watch, sub 5 and scream like a childish buffoon until he gets light headed and nearly passed out. It is a true treasure when he hits the trifecta in one game.

his "I'M GOING TO BENCH MY STARTERS BECAUSE THEY AREN'T PLAYING WELL AND ARE PISSING ME OFF!" strategy legitimately makes me lol every time I see it. I haven't seen him pull that move in quite a while though.

his "I'M GOING TO BENCH MY STARTERS BECAUSE THEY AREN'T PLAYING WELL AND ARE PISSING ME OFF!" strategy legitimately makes me lol every time I see it. I haven't seen him pull that move in quite a while though.

DM tried that move a couple times this year. The 5 man line change. I hate it.

In all seriousness, I don't think Roy is a great coach.

#hottake

Echoing what SkinsNDeac's said, Kansas and UNC are two schools on a very short list of programs where Roy's (lack of) in-game coaching ability wouldn't be constantly exposed...

You all are way too bearish on Roy as a coach, by the way. Not the best, but he's got a solid system and style of play that maximizes his great athletes. I mean the last 3 years are pretty bad (32,27,15) but overall great results even adjusting for program level. He's great at speeding/opening games up and letting his superior athletes play volleyball on the offensive glass. It's a real system that works, not just rolling the balls out, not any UNC coach would do it the same way. Now that said, he obviously makes hilarious game management blunders that are easy for even casual fans to lol at. He'd be a terrible NBA coach. But in college he's got a unique/cool/effective system and has a lot of positives as a coach (not just recruiting).

It's like if Roy was a large asset manager running a sizable fund....he's got a pretty solid strategy for picking securities, he just has terrible execution methodology. He's constantly telegraphing his orders to the market, impatiently crossing over huge bid/ask spreads. Always paying to execute. That's going to cut into profits, but you'll probably take it over an asset manager that is just so-so at the actual stock picking but always gets the best price at execution, you know?

Back