• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Run Production Yesterday

Offensive line just couldn't create holes for the backs. G-W's defensive line was beating our defensive line pretty much the entire game.

Offensive line just couldn't create holes for the backs. G-W's defensive line was beating our defensive line pretty much the entire game.

Agreed, offensive line continues to be disappointing for what is seemingly the 5th year in a row

I do think their defense is probably better than we are giving them credit for. They held Ohio more in check than Marshall (beat Southern Miss) or NM State (beat Minnesota).

Agreed, offensive line continues to be disappointing for what is seemingly the 5th year in a row

O line has been doing a good job in pass protection. Run blocking has been weak. Apparently Price is more confortable in shotgun formations. Whatever the reason, Bohannan is rarely in the backfield as a lead blocker.

Whatever it is, it needs to be fixed if we want to have a chance to make a bowl.

I still think that Brandon Pendergrass is the better running back for us right now.

yeah there is no bowl in our future without a run game..

of course there may not be a bowl with a run game either if our 2ndary keeps getting beat by the likes of GW...

I still have only seen about 1.5 great games out of Josh Harris, which isn't much considering the hype he gets from our fan base.

^ agreed there were at least two occasions where guys were wide open behind our secondary and they just got overthrown...

Running game remains a concern but the defense will determine whether this team bowls.

This team is 3-0 if the defense doesn't crap the bed in the 2nd half at the Carrier Dome.

Having the ability to line it up and smash the ball down opposing defenses throats is never going to be in the 2011 team's DNA. With that said I would still like to see BP get more carries.

During the scrimmages a few of us said that pass blocking was light years ahead of run blocking. Harris just needs some holes and he will be fine.

I still have only seen about 1.5 great games out of Josh Harris, which isn't much considering the hype he gets from our fan base.

He has been outstanding actually, turning hard up inside and showing the "willingness" to do so well before a guy like Willie Parker -- who had to go in the backdoor of the NFL before learning what his college coach had repeatedly asked him to do.. "run up inside, square your shoulders and turn the play in and take what the D gives you." This is a learning process for this kid. Look, he's great running a sweep but defenses can pinch that, so you can't be a one trick pony. He is going through a mildly awkward phase where his stride is condensed...think about running inside...it's choppy steps looking for a place to break into full daylight. When he gets on the perimeter we know what he can do. He is expanding his strengths as a RB and,again,he is experiencing some 'newness' with the style ... I laugh but he is almost going
through an uncoordinated phase where he is having trouble 'hitting stride'.

If there is anything at all that I'm excited about with this WF Offense it's the simple fact that it is excelling at other positions. The sucess thus far has not needed Harris to do yeomans work. As the season wears on I expect him to grow into as valuable a weapon as the Deacons possess.

Last edited:

For what it's worth you and deac27 both said the same thing about Tanner when I said he was going to be a stud.

Harris cannot block and create his own holes so until the offensive line learns how to block he may be limited.

It may be next year with new guys blocking up front.

"New guys" as in the youth excuse will be used yet again.

It's hard to have OL problems for this long without their being serious problems with recruiting and coaching.

That said, Harris doesn't do enough with the few opportunities he gets. He's got to break some tackles once he gets to the second level. You could see this even on the oft posted highlight reel from last year. He broke plays where he wasn't touched, but couldn't get past arm tackles from the LBs and secondary.

Harris is a good "gimmick" RB when it works. We all bought into the hype. The Virginia Tech game was beautiful, but let's be honest...he has not done anything since then. Take away the couple of long runs and look at his average yds per carry. Brandon Pendergrass is our best running back. I'd like to see him get more carries.

Harris is a good "gimmick" RB when it works. We all bought into the hype. The Virginia Tech game was beautiful, but let's be honest...he has not done anything since then. Take away the couple of long runs and look at his average yds per carry. Brandon Pendergrass is our best running back. I'd like to see him get more carries.

It kills me when people say this. There's a reason they call it an "average" :thumbsup: Josh had a pretty decent game against State and had two games last year that absolutely smash anything Pendergrass has ever done at Wake. I like BP and he's a good backup option but he's not on that level. Which one of his games this year makes you think otherwise? Harris is undoubtedly still maturing as he's just a sophomore. Also our run blocking causes me to cry myself to sleep at night.

/ramble

Back