• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rush Mafia - Game Over - Rush Wins Again

I love London but don’t know if I’d want to live many other places in England

I’d live in France tomorrow

I'm just catching up but going to have to break up Ryala and this Portland lovefest.

Portland, OR is one of the most overrated cities imo. Food was average, the outdoor market was nothing special, lots of homeless on the streets. I enjoyed a few of the breweries but nowadays every city has great breweries. We went for a long weekend in August and the place was dead - everyone said all the locals leave town during the summer weekends so I guess it's got that going for it.

My vote for most underrated North American city is Vancouver.

Wrong. I don't know where you were eating, but the food scene is great.

Florida weather blows
There's definitely reasons to hate on FL but this ain't it.

Summer is hot but you either stay inside during the day or do something on the water. At night, it's fine.
And then when everyone else is miserable with snow and freezing temperatures, Florida is 70 degrees and sunny.

Also I'm a rube who always buys handmade wooden puzzles at the Saturday Market. We got one last time that we've spent like 12 hours on and still can't figure out. Dude said the average first solve is like 24 hours!

I love London but don’t know if I’d want to live many other places in England

I’d live in France tomorrow

Yeah London is with NYC as an elite global city. The rest of England to me is just your run of the mill rural poor areas or manufacturing towns that you can find across America (not to say that they don’t have their own allure just that I’m not interested in living there coming from America).

Brighton is cool, there are a few very cool coastal towns in fact but idk about getting a job most places outside a major metro in UK

Jesus Christ. Do you Portland hipsters need a real man to fill your hungry holes?

Yeah London is with NYC as an elite global city. The rest of England to me is just your run of the mill rural poor areas or manufacturing towns that you can find across America (not to say that they don’t have their own allure just that I’m not interested in living there coming from America).

I feel like I really want to go to some soccer matches in a 3rd tier English city, but there is nothing else I want to do there.

Jesus Christ. Do you Portland hipsters need a real man to fill your hungry holes?

I am a proudly self-hating hipster. Did I see Arcade Fire in small venue before they blew up? Yeah, of course. Their new stuff is way worse than the old stuff too. Did I get super excited about Neutral Milk Hotel getting back together, and want to kill myself when I missed all of the tour dates because I was moving? Yeah, that too.

Also avocado toast is elite. I do not eat at any chain restaurants, and judge people who do. I've gone thrifting on multiple occasions. I have multiple newer records on vinyl. We've started to cure our own meats. And I'm typing all of this while staring at the screen in my oversized glasses.

There's definitely reasons to hate on FL but this ain't it.

Summer is hot but you either stay inside during the day or do something on the water. At night, it's fine.
And then when everyone else is miserable with snow and freezing temperatures, Florida is 70 degrees and sunny.

FL is humid as hell year round. I went to Tampa for Christmas (aunt and uncle live down there) and was sweating my ass off. Meanwhile all the Floridiots are wearing North Face because it’s in the 70s.

Wrong. I don't know where you were eating, but the food scene is great.
Por Que No - very good Mexican food but it's also just Mexican food
Kachka - was fine.
And some other farm to table style place that wasn't noticeable for me to remember

Food scenes that were fantastic of places I've recently lived/visited.

Tier 1
SF - likely top food city in U.S. when you account for diversity, quality, and price
Vancouver - Great street food, amazing seafood both casual and fine dining, loved every place we went
Austin - had great barbecue, mexican, brunch, and dinner at an upscale restaurant
NY - obviously great but biggest knock is the great food is mostly fine dining
Las Vegas - lots of traps but if you know what you're doing, can make it some of best food in the country

Tier 2 (some really good spots but not consistent enough to be tier 1)
DC
Chicago

Tier 3 (prob a diamond in the rough here and there but overall meh)
San Diego
Nashville
Maui
Portland
Raleigh

I am a proudly self-hating hipster. Did I see Arcade Fire in small venue before they blew up? Yeah, of course. Their new stuff is way worse than the old stuff too. Did I get super excited about Neutral Milk Hotel getting back together, and want to kill myself when I missed all of the tour dates because I was moving? Yeah, that too.

Also avocado toast is elite. I do not eat at any chain restaurants, and judge people who do. I've gone thrifting on multiple occasions. I have multiple newer records on vinyl. We've started to cure our own meats. And I'm typing all of this while staring at the screen in my oversized glasses.

giphy.gif

Por Que No - very good Mexican food but it's also just Mexican food
Kachka - was fine.
And some other farm to table style place that wasn't noticeable for me to remember

Food scenes that were fantastic of places I've recently lived/visited.

Tier 1
SF - likely top food city in U.S. when you account for diversity, quality, and price
Vancouver - Great street food, amazing seafood both casual and fine dining, loved every place we went
Austin - had great barbecue, mexican, brunch, and dinner at an upscale restaurant
NY - obviously great but biggest knock is the great food is mostly fine dining
Las Vegas - lots of traps but if you know what you're doing, can make it some of best food in the country

Tier 2 (some really good spots but not consistent enough to be tier 1)
DC
Chicago

Tier 3 (prob a diamond in the rough here and there but overall meh)
San Diego
Nashville
Maui
Portland
Raleigh

I mean, you live(d) in SF. Yeah, the Mexican food everywhere else is shit. I actually really liked Kachka, but it's also Russian food. There are people who will enjoy it and there are people who won't. The flavor profile is all fats, it's why there are also no German restaurants. But, despite how white everyone is (and its not like normal white, it's like I can see through you to the other side white), there's great Japanese and Thai food, in addition to all the hipster offerings. I don't hate your list (but Raleigh is def wayyyy to high, probably SD and Nashville too), but that's still like top 10-ish in America.

Back