• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ryan - 30% of Americans "want welfare state" -OOPS

Ryab is a complete douche, who would be honored to tell Oliver Twist that there is no more soup.

I think 30% is about right. Bunch of lazy sloths. At least they have the party of good intentions to look after them.

^target audience of class warfare rhetoric.

Tune into FOX tonight if you want your dose of class warfare rhetoric.

What's on Fox tonight? Atlas Shrugged II?

I don't get this on a number of levels. First, why would you want to go down this road again? Romney's poll numbers went down after his 47% comment and subsequent defenses thereof. Second, you already have seniors nervous about your plan to privatize medicare. Why would you now call them moochers a second time as well? I still fail to see what is wrong with working for 45-50 years, paying FICA for that entire period and then retiring when you become a senior and collect social security and medicare. Making claims like this cannot help you in FL. Third, I don't get the math. Romney at least was correct when he said 47% of the country doesn't pay FIT. But where does 30% come from? 53% of the country work and pay FIT, SIT & FICA (usually to the total tune of 18-23% of your gross pay if you're middle class). Approximately 28% work and pay SIT & FICA (usually to the tune of 10-14% of your gross pay - or close to the % Romney pays). So already that's about 81%. Another 11% are seniors who worked and paid taxes most of their lives. So that's 92% who work/worked and pay in/paid in. So that leaves about 8% who are on TANF, SSDI, unemployed or working under the table.

If my math is right... and it usually is... I'm pretty sure that means Romney/Ryan don't care about 77% of America. Get on that Obama!

Because Ryan is and has been a true believer in Rand's concept of "takers and makers". This is what he believes.

It's also what Romney believes. The two of them have no understanding of America.

I don't get this on a number of levels. First, why would you want to go down this road again? Romney's poll numbers went down after his 47% comment and subsequent defenses thereof. Second, you already have seniors nervous about your plan to privatize medicare. Why would you now call them moochers a second time as well? I still fail to see what is wrong with working for 45-50 years, paying FICA for that entire period and then retiring when you become a senior and collect social security and medicare. Making claims like this cannot help you in FL. Third, I don't get the math. Romney at least was correct when he said 47% of the country doesn't pay FIT. But where does 30% come from? 53% of the country work and pay FIT, SIT & FICA (usually to the total tune of 18-23% of your gross pay if you're middle class). Approximately 28% work and pay SIT & FICA (usually to the tune of 10-14% of your gross pay - or close to the % Romney pays). So already that's about 81%. Another 11% are seniors who worked and paid taxes most of their lives. So that's 92% who work/worked and pay in/paid in. So that leaves about 8% who are on TANF, SSDI, unemployed or working under the table.

Per the original link, Ryan's remarks were made in November 2011, six months before Romney's 47% comments. Huffington probably released it now so Obama can use it tonight and Biden can use it next week.

If my math is right... and it usually is... I'm pretty sure that means Romney/Ryan don't care about 77% of America. Get on that Obama!

It doesn't matter, most people still would view themselves as being in the 33%. My father-in-law retired at like 50 to live on a bloated lifelong government pension and go to the VA for any health issue not covered by his government-provided insurance, yet all he does is watch Fox News and gripe about "those sons of bitches who are leeching off of the taxpayers and sucking this country dry".

It doesn't matter, most people still would view themselves as being in the 33%. My father-in-law retired at like 50 to live on a bloated lifelong government pension and go to the VA for any health issue not covered by his government-provided insurance, yet all he does is watch Fox News and gripe about "those sons of bitches who are leeching off of the taxpayers and sucking this country dry".

It's funny how that works.

2&2 with the reminder that America gives 110%.

It is amazing how many people are not paying their fair share, isn't it?

Somebody was but it wasn't Ryan. He was doing just fine as a congressman from a predominantly Democratic district.

Back