• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saban really screwed up.

Don't buy 28%..you have to figure there's some selection bias. And obviously the environment / pressure was as tough as it gets (huge part of it).

Wouldn't most kickers be able to make that kick in practice?

Yeah, how do you apply a percentage to a kicker who's probably never tried, much less made a 57 yarder in a college game? I wonder how that percentage was obtained, I can't imagine that of all the 57 yard or longer field goals attempted in college football the make percentage is anywhere close to being that high.

That's why a 57 yard FG was a bad call by Saban and it would have been even if it did work. It's a very low percentage call.

That's why a 57 yard FG was a bad call by Saban and it would have been even if it did work. It's a very low percentage call.

Yeah, I'd say the odds of Auburn blocking or returning the kick for a TD weren't terribly lower than the odds of making it, if for no other reason than the odds of making the kick being so low in the first place.

A 57 yard hail mary would have made more sense than a 57 yard FG.

There have been way more 57 yd fgs made than missed attempts returned for a td, and I assume Saban knew something about his kickers leg strength. The poor coaching part was that it didn't look like Bama was prepared at all for the possibility of a return.

How many 57 yard FGs have been made in college?

How many missed attempts have even better attempted to be returned?

It's a 40 yard throw. I'm not even sure that's far enough for a hail mary. Just run 3 wrs 1 side and cooper and a wr the other and have mccarron pick his side and throw it there. Cooper had torched their safeties.

There have been way more 57 yd fgs made than missed attempts returned for a td, and I assume Saban knew something about his kickers leg strength. The poor coaching part was that it didn't look like Bama was prepared at all for the possibility of a return.

I don't disagree with that, I wonder if for whatever reason the Alabama staff didn't even consider the return possibility. Isn't that a big reason not to do it though? I mean you can't really change you're FG personnel because the biggest concern is the block, but that means you've got really poor personnel on the field to cover a return.

I don't have a problem with Saban sending in his stronger legged K as long as he thought that kid would at least kick it out of the endzone. But when he sees Auburn's PR standing in the endzone, either he or his ST coach need to tell the FG unit to fan out and cover downfield if the kick is short. A couple of those things have been TDs in the NFL over the last several years, including 1 of my personal favorite plays (check out Lewis' block - 1 of the best decleaters ever).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLZN0CabW6s

The fact that his last one was blocked, caught and returned would have been enough for me to not kick it. Auburn was smelling blood in the water with Alabama'skick team.

Notwithstanding a daisycutter wiping out the entire stadium, this was a pretty great result.

I remember when we had a sports team good enough to suffer a crushing defeat....sigh

Word is he is refusing to buy his family Christmas presents now for fear they will be returned.

Back