• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Safety vs. Touchback

VOTSdeac

Reaction score
I was at the game and did not understand why the muffed punt that got recovered in the end zone was a touchback and not a safety. Did the TV announcers give any explanation? My understanding is that a muffed punt is a fumble. If you fumble and recover in your own end zone, you don’t get the ball at the 20. It’s a safety.

I was also annoyed by this. I assume it was the correct call, but what a stupid rule.

Negatory. Not a fumble. Punting team can not advance a muffed punt. If the receiving team touches punt and it bounces into end zone and they recover it's a touchback. Same on a kickoff.

In order to get a safety you have to possess the ball and then cross over your own goal line. I don't have a problem with this rule. We should've recovered. Not being able to advance a muffed kick is pretty dumb I think.

What if they recover on the 1 yard line? They get the ball on the 1. Stupid rule that makes no sense.

Yep. It's a punt until someone possesses it. As soon as it passes the goal line it's dead. Doesn't matter who on either team touched it first. If they recover on 1 then they get it there. If we had recovered on 1 we get it there. Once it went into end zone it was a touchback no matter what. Technically speaking it was still a kick (punt) even after first touch. Punt in end zone is touchback.

Yep. It's a punt until someone possesses it. As soon as it passes the goal line it's dead. Doesn't matter who on either team touched it first. If they recover on 1 then they get it there. If we had recovered on 1 we get it there. Once it went into end zone it was a touchback no matter what. Technically speaking it was still a kick (punt) even after first touch. Punt in end zone is touchback.

“It’s a punt until someone possesses it” is not quite right because the receiving team touching it changes the status of the football. A muffed punt and an untouched punt with the ball in play are not the same thing. Weird rule that crossing into the end zone negates that.

Yea, the status of the ball is changed in that it can be recovered but not advanced by the kicking team. It’s not a live ball as would be a fumble.

Can’t have a safety without first possessing the ball.

That’s what I’m thinking is right

Last edited:
Right but a “kicked ball” can sometimes be recovered by a defender and sometimes cannot. Something happens to determine that, but crossing the goal line negates it.

“It’s a punt until someone possesses it” is not quite right because the receiving team touching it changes the status of the football. A muffed punt and an untouched punt with the ball in play are not the same thing. Weird rule that crossing into the end zone negates that.

Actually it's exactly right. Until it's possessed the punt rules apply. Rules like being able to recover but not advance. Sure one or the other team touching the ball has implications but those are covered by the rule on punted balls.

Right but a “kicked ball” can sometimes be recovered by a defender and sometimes cannot. Something happens to determine that, but crossing the goal line negates it.

No. Any kicked ball in the end zone is dead. It's still a kicked ball until possessed. It's the same as if it wasn't touched and the defense downs it at one as opposed to it bouncing in end zone. Once it crosses the plane it's a touchback. Same rule.

I’m not arguing that you’re wrong about the rule, I’m arguing that the logic behind it is bad.

Ha. Gotcha. I like special teams rules like punts and kickoffs and field goals. It's like a whole other game within a game with its own rules. Sort of a reminder that football used to involve a lot more feet.

Think yesterday was the first time I had ever seen that. Anything that would prevent someone from just batting the ball through the back of the end zone instead of letting it get downed inside the 10?

Maybe just the risk of giving the punting team the opportunity to gain possession if your attempted batting doesn’t get to the end zone.?

So I'd have to look up but it's illegal for the receiving team to bat a kicked ball in any direction. I'm thinking on a kickoff the kicking team would have the option to take result or play or a penalty is enforced and rekick. If there's something similar on a punt the kicking team may end up with a fresh set of downs. Anyone know for sure?

Back