• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Salaries of Wake Grads Ranked

Diggitydeac

Reaction score
This little search tool from the US government provides the average earnings of college grads ten years after graduating by major. I checked our numbers for a business degree and at $61K we were ahead of the neighboring big publics (UNC, NCSU, S. Car.) but behind Duke.

https://collegescorecard.ed.gov

Last edited:
Notably that tool only pulls data from students who received federal financial aid, so I imagine it might be a bit skewed

Notably that tool only pulls data from students who received federal financial aid, so I imagine it might be a bit skewed

that includes federal loans, so probably not.

...$61k for ten years out of school with a business degree still sounds low to me. anyone else?

$49K is real good money for a recent college grad. That's barely below the median household income in the U.S.

skewed towards people that work hard?

No, I'm just saying that it doesn't include the entire student population.

I have no idea of whether the pool of people who receive federal financial aid at Wake is representative in this respect of the entire student population. Or perhaps more importantly for the purposes of this survey, whether the pool of people who receive federal financial at Wake is similar enough to the pools of people at other schools who receive federal financial aid so as to make it a good comparative tool.

The average salary for Wake grads 10 years out may actually be higher or lower than $49k

The comparison to Duke would generally be valid for comparing our students who got federal aid vs. their students who got it. Point accepted that they are not the same identical people in all respects:rolleyes:

I'm not buying this. $61k for 10 years out of school is absurd.

I'm 10 years this year and of the 15-20 people that I'm still fairly close with (from my class) I can only think of one person that I would suspect might make less than 60K (just because he's in a typically low paying profession, but I don't really know). Anecdotal I know, but 61k as an average seems super low, especially since we have a lot of people that move back to places with higher COL than NC.

Also, the site lists 61K as a total for all students, not just Business majors (either that or coincidentally the business salary=average salary for all students)

Last edited:
Good to know, as an English/Art History grad, I should be making more than the average Business major 10 years out from Wake.

It looks like it is 10 years after entering the school, not 10 years after graduation - so probably more like 5 or 6 years after graduation on average.

So it includes people in grad school making nothing to peanuts.

i think we can all conclude that this data is stupid

7 years out (so 11 years from starting if that's how they're measuring). At first 61k average sounded very low to me, but of the 15 or so people I've kept up with, I'm guessing about 1/2 to 2/3 under, 1/3 to 1/2 over. Only 2-3 business majors in that bunch, and that includes 1 in grad school and 1 in med school.

Back