• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Brownback's Kansas

Yeah, I never really thought about what side of the state line I was on when I was there, I lived in Overland Park and worked in Raytown. Seems like Missouri and Kansas could claim it equally as a tourist destination

We basically had the same commute. If you know anywhere decent to eat in Raytown not named Chipotle please let me know. I can't think of any reason to vacation in Kansas, my wife have been trying to find weekend getaways and anywhere in KS is not really an option. KC is fine. They have good food, plenty of cool things to do for families and young single people. Brownback won his reelection because Roberts was on the ticket and the candidate the Dems put up there was not impressive. It really seemed like the first time for a lot of people in his campaign. Brownback openly stated after the election his victory was a validation of his policies, which I though was nuts. You have to give credit to Brownback for one thing. He is convincing businesses on the Missouri side of the border to move to Kansas. There have been some really big companies slide or are planning to move a few miles west in the next few years. Who knows what he gave up to get them to move.

lol, Raytown is a dump. Is Couzin's Catfish Castle still open? On a serious note I miss Winstead's so much, used to kill that place after Royals games

Anybody ever read the book What's the Matter With Kansas by Thomas Frank? Pretty interesting look at the state and how the GOP advances their fiscal policy by using scare tactics re: social policy that never come to fruition.

I don't really get the idea of Rick Perry as a tea party candidate. As governor in Texas, he was all about centralizing power and expanding the state's role in governing, just like G.W. Bush was before him.

Look around at tea party legislatures in each state. They're all about taking away power from localities, interfering in smaller elections, and consolidating power in the form of gerrymandering and primarying more moderate pols. It's honestly very concerning the way they're pushing their ideological purity takeover.

lol, Raytown is a dump. Is Couzin's Catfish Castle still open? On a serious note I miss Winstead's so much, used to kill that place after Royals games

vadtoy grew up in Grandview, so ... yeah.

Winstead's is money. KC is a very underrated food city, tons of great eats there.

Future in laws moved from St Pete to Wichita 4 or 5 years ago. Kansas is definitely the worst state.

It's about time. Kansas has been dying the last few years. Maybe I can say I'm from Kansas with a little pride now.

Wait, what? Tax cuts don't always pay for themselves with growth?

The Great Kansas Tax Cut Experiment Crashes And Burns

Confused-man1.jpg

Last edited:
Kris Kobach announced his run for governor today. If anyone is close to Trump in terms of personal hatred, it's him. I've never really been actively involved in campaigns before, but I might have to canvas for whoever wins the Dem primary.

Is FMR lurking now? Did the election kill him? I always enjoyed his posts.

Kris Kobach announced his run for governor today. If anyone is close to Trump in terms of personal hatred, it's him. I've never really been actively involved in campaigns before, but I might have to canvas for whoever wins the Dem primary.

The day Kobach announced, i mentioned to a coworker w connections that I wanted to do anything I could to help defeat him, and she set me up a meeting with the ED of Kansas ACLU. That escalated quickly. Now I don't know if need to come prepared or can just be chill meeting.

Seems like a pretty cool opportunity, MHBD!

Kansas City Star series on Kansas' "Dark State":

http://amp.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article184179651.html

A Kansas spokesperson was acknowledging that the state highway department didn’t have the money to rebuild a dangerous stretch of Interstate 70 that had been the scene of multiple wrecks and a grisly motorcycle fatality caught on video. “KDOT has lost a lot of money over the last few years,” the spokesperson said. “There’s just no funding at this point.” Simple, yes. But in Gov. Sam Brownback’s cash-strapped administration, those were fighting words. Days later, the spokesperson was fired. “Your article was the nail in my coffin for being the face of KDOT,” the spokesperson said in an email to The Kansas City Star.

▪ Children known to the state’s Department for Children and Families suffer horrific abuse, while the agency cloaks its involvement with their cases, even shredding notes after meetings where children’s deaths are discussed, according to a former high-ranking DCF official. One grieving father told The Star he was pressured to sign a “gag order” days after his son was killed that would prevent him from discussing DCF’s role in the case. Even lawmakers trying to fix the troubled system say they cannot trust information coming from agency officials

▪ In the past decade, more than 90 percent of the laws passed by the Kansas Legislature have come from anonymous authors. Kansans often had no way of knowing who was pushing which legislation and why, and the topics have included abortion, concealed weapons and school funding. Kansas is one of only a few states that allow the practice.

▪ When Kansas police shoot and kill someone, law enforcement agencies often escape scrutiny because they are allowed to provide scant details to the public. The release of body-cam video has become common practice around the country after several high-profile, police-involved shootings. But in Kansas, a new state law is one of the most restrictive in the nation, allowing agencies to shelve footage that could shed more light on controversial cases.

▪ Kansas became the first state to fully privatize Medicaid services in 2013, and now some caregivers for people with disabilities say they have been asked to sign off on blank treatment plans — without knowing what’s being provided. In some of those cases, caregivers later discovered their services had been dramatically cut.

Not sure if still true, but in January the Kansas Senate didn't have an entire attorney. They don't all need to be attorneys, but having at least some in one of the two sessions of the legislative branch would seem prudent.

Back