• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

donaldross

Reaction score
What a great young man. Not that he needs our advice but what would you do if you were him?

1) Reverse course where you are and rewrite ACC passing record books

2) Go pro and try your luck now

3) Go start at Stanford or some other better school and lose a bunch next fall.

4) Go start at a lesser academic school and play in front of 80k every week—Georgia, Florida or some such.

5) Call it a career and and start the real world.

All seem like plausible and good options for all of his various skills and talents.

I would choose (4). We have definitely entered the era where folks can transfer from Wake—even our legends—and we still root for them.

I am curious what you folks would do if you were him.

Congrats Sam on doing all you promised to do at Wake Forest. It was fun to watch.

I think personally I'd do #1 just because those records would probably never be broken, and that's one way to leave a legacy behind given that success at another school isn't a given and he's kind of a tweener in terms of NFL.

But I totally understand if he's ready to move on and get a change of scenery so tbh any of those options are completely justifiable to me. Well maybe not #3 I don't think you'd actually be able to focus on or take advantage of the academics at a school like that in one year as a mercenary QB, so what's the point.

I’d do #2. He’s been at Wake for 5 years and will graduate. He’s ready to move on to his next goal, which is to play in the NFL. His dad is a neurosurgeon, so NIL money likely means a lot less to him than most other players.

I almost brought his up on the Syracuse thread, its a really interesting scenario for Sam in the NIL era.

First, I think he needs to get an accurate report of what his draft chances are. If he has a chance to be a mid-round pick or better, I am going NFL. If it is looking like late round/UDFA, then I am 100% doing another college season.

If Wake offers even a decent amount of money, it makes the most sense in my opinion. He will set records that will be extremely difficult to break, he already has a tremendous advantage of knowing all the coaches, playbook, receivers, facilities, travel, etc. We have an easier schedule next season and still a lot of weapons on offense. The biggest impediment would be questions on the offensive line and how much he could realistically make from NIL in his last season.

There are very few teams that I think would make sense for him to go to. The only other reason I would leave now would be for a team who has a great chance for CFP next season. That is really only 5-7 teams that are in that position. I wouldn't go to some mid-tier B10 or SEC school, unless they are willing to pay north of $2M.

The only exception I would make is Notre Dame, because they have a lot of cash, a great defense, and need a big-time player to rally around. This honestly may be the best fit for him if he done with Wake.

The idea from some fans that they would rather Sam move on instead of return absolutely blows my mind.

I really don't get this either. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!!

The idea from some fans that they would rather Sam move on instead of return absolutely blows my mind.
I don't think many want fans want him to move on, rather, it's clear he is planning to move on - he said so this summer and he repeated that plan last week. If he was offered a large NIL deal and that's what changed his mind and convinced him to come back, the situation would have the potential to go downhill fast. A QB that doesn't really want to be there, 1 player making a ton of money compared to everyone else - what could go wrong?

I almost brought his up on the Syracuse thread, its a really interesting scenario for Sam in the NIL era.

First, I think he needs to get an accurate report of what his draft chances are. If he has a chance to be a mid-round pick or better, I am going NFL. If it is looking like late round/UDFA, then I am 100% doing another college season.

If Wake offers even a decent amount of money, it makes the most sense in my opinion. He will set records that will be extremely difficult to break, he already has a tremendous advantage of knowing all the coaches, playbook, receivers, facilities, travel, etc. We have an easier schedule next season and still a lot of weapons on offense. The biggest impediment would be questions on the offensive line and how much he could realistically make from NIL in his last season.

There are very few teams that I think would make sense for him to go to. The only other reason I would leave now would be for a team who has a great chance for CFP next season. That is really only 5-7 teams that are in that position. I wouldn't go to some mid-tier B10 or SEC school, unless they are willing to pay north of $2M.

The only exception I would make is Notre Dame, because they have a lot of cash, a great defense, and need a big-time player to rally around. This honestly may be the best fit for him if he done with Wake.
We play Notre Dame next year.... That will be awkward.... Like seeing your hot ex out with another richer or better looking dude

From what I can tell, we have very little NIL money. Which makes sense, since we are dealing with a small pool of accessible money and a big shot donor can donate ~2x to the Deacon Club than NIL because the former is tax deductible, and there don’t seem to be many legitimate advertising opportunities that would at least have some ROI (especially with our small fanbase).

The records would have an asterisk because of the amount of games played. He’s number one or two in about every category as it is. We will all love him no matter what he decides. He won that game almost by himself last night. The defense couldn’t stop a pass and the offense needed to score on about every possession. He has the heart of a lion. Re his future after football, his looks and other talents will open up a million doors.

The records would have an asterisk because of the amount of games played. He’s number one or two in about every category as it is. We will all love him no matter what he decides. He won that game almost by himself last night. The defense couldn’t stop a pass and the offense needed to score on about every possession. He has the heart of a lion. Re his future after football, his looks and other talents will open up a million doors.
I mean, not really. He redshirted one year. He broke his leg one year and one year was shortened Covid.

Back