• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

San Francisco to Los Angeles in 30 minutes?

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
As long as my sister-in-law is barred from access, I'm OK with this development.

Looks like it. A series of tubes in which human beings move really fast, much faster than we currently move through underground tubes.

I don't think most people could put up with the discomfort of going 700 mph for 30 minutes. Seems like a pretty silly idea.

I don't think most people could put up with the discomfort of going 700 mph for 30 minutes. Seems like a pretty silly idea.

What discomfort? You just mean fear? Or are you implying some sort of physical discomfort that results from going fast?

While locked underground in a tube.

From what I posted, it looks like some could be in the air. Probably like most metro systems. Some in the air and some underground.

Still sounds scary as hell, I mean imagine a break down or am accident at that speed in a tube.

Well we all knew we'd be traveling through the internet eventually.

Well we all knew we'd be traveling through the internet eventually.

You gonna make plans for Clips and Warriors doubleheader day?

not sure who is my bigger hero, musk or haralabob. although tesla got pwned today.

I don't feel like doing the math, but, what kind of acceleration and deceleration would you have to experience in order to travel that quickly between those two places?

I don't feel like doing the math, but, what kind of acceleration and deceleration would you have to experience in order to travel that quickly between those two places?

I mean I think they could work out the acceleration and deceleration on the front and back ends. Obviously once they reach a constant velocity there's not any acceleration, and I would imagine that they can get it up to speed slowly and decrease it slowly enough that you won't be thrown like the Aerosmith roller coaster.

I mean I think they could work out the acceleration and deceleration on the front and back ends. Obviously once they reach a constant velocity there's not any acceleration, and I would imagine that they can get it up to speed slowly and decrease it slowly enough that you won't be thrown like the Aerosmith roller coaster.

#math #science

At 1/2 G rate of constant acceleration (pretty comfortable IMO), it would only take about 1 minute to accelerate up to 700 mph. Same for decel. So you'd only have to spend a little over 2 minutes speeding up and slowing down. You could spend more time doing both, only adding a little more time to the trip, and make the accel/decel even more comfortable for the passengers.

Yea, so I did a little math and the accel/decel is surprisingly minimal....

You can make it simple if you assume you just make the first half of the trip the exact opposite of the second half... That is, you accelerate at a constant rate for 15 minutes and cover 175 miles (half the goal time and half the distance) - then you decelerate at the same rate for the second half of the trip.

With these assumptions, the acceleration and deceleration required would only be like 0.7 m/s^2 - or less than 1/10th the acceleration of gravity. I don't even know if you would feel that?

Back