• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sandusky Gets 30 Years

While I agree he should have intervened and gone to the police, I think JoePa at least ties him for the 2nd most despicable person here. JoePa was the most powerful human at PSU by far. McQueary, who was in awe of both him and likely Sandusky, had just witnessed a horrific event. He went to his father and the 2 then told JoePa and told him Sandusky was having sex in the shower with a 10 year old - most likely looking for moral and legal guidance for what to do in a situation like this. This was a teaching moment. And JoePa taught him that what you do is protect your child molester best friend by passing the buck upstairs and by making sure the authorities are not alerted. I too condemn McQueary's cowardice. But as the most powerful man in State College, JoePa certainly could have ensured this was reported to the authorities. And do you really think he didn't discuss this with the AD and v-p? Instead he and the other officials chose to enable and morally abet a criminal.
All true, good post. Both should have done much, much more.

i think it's a pretty big difference, especially if sandusky was a long-time family friend possible abuser???

You think the difference between McQueary being 24 and being 28 is big? I'm just not seeing the difference.

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

:rulz:

I can't imagine a scenario where I don't physically stop Sandusky or go find a weapon or someone else to help me stop him. At the same time... I have no basis to really know how I would react since I've never seen anything remotely close to this happening.

Its an awful situation all around, but I can see how burying the memory of what McQuery saw may have been easier for him than pushing for truth and justice. A cowardly approach though.

Wrong. Everyone in blue and white did not commit this terrible crime, hide this terrible crime, add to this terrible crime or support it in any way. 99% of the people in blue and white (including players/fans) are just as shocked as everyone else.

Find out who knew, burn them to the ground...not everyone else.

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

is that from JoePa? he really is out of touch if so.

That statement, if accurate, demonstrates that he is completely out of touch with the seriousness of this situation. Almost delusional.

You can't "forgive" anyone that knew or was told about it and didn't call the police.

Put yourself in the shoes of that boy, or any of the victims. McQueary stated that both Sandusky and the boy turned and looked at him. I would imagine that the child felt a mixture of shame and fear but also probably relief that someone had seen what was happening. Another adult has seen what is happening and will surely tell someone and maybe now it will stop. And then it doesn't.

Agreed. Or put yourself in the position of one of his later victims, who could have been spared had someone, ANYONE, reported the incident to the police.

I can't imagine a scenario where I don't physically stop Sandusky or go find a weapon or someone else to help me stop him. At the same time... I have no basis to really know how I would react since I've never seen anything remotely close to this happening.

Its an awful situation all around, but I can see how burying the memory of what McQuery saw may have been easier for him than pushing for truth and justice. A cowardly approach though.

I agree, which makes it even more hard to wrap my head around McQueary staying on staff. How can you keep burying it if you're seeing Sandusky regularly and knowing about his continued proximity with children? Its just mind boggling.

Wrong. Everyone in blue and white did not commit this terrible crime, hide this terrible crime, add to this terrible crime or support it in any way. 99% of the people in blue and white (including players/fans) are just as shocked as everyone else.

Find out who knew, burn them to the ground...not everyone else.

Collateral damage. So be it.

Just reported: Paterno is a piece of shit and a sorry ass excuse for a human being.

PSU has only lost to Bama this season, they have a good chance at the Rose Bowl and could even be in the NC convo if some teams lose.

I feel terrible for the players. And i hate Penn State football in general.

They have ZERO chance at a national title. Alabama completely bitch slapped them. And Alabama isn't going to lose another game before their bowl game.

You think the difference between McQueary being 24 and being 28 is big? I'm just not seeing the difference.

yeah, i think a 24 yr old straight out of undergraduate thinks a lot differently than a 28 graduate/assistant.

also, lol at all these guys who are like "i would've beat sandusky up with a piece of pipe i ripped off the wall!!!111". doubt it.

This is why as I pointed out on another thread, if I were JoePa's attorney, no way would I allow him to go out to do a presser. He just botched a press release. It would be way worse to permit him to answer reporters' questions with extemporaneous ramblings.

I think it is a huge difference, especially depending on when he graduated from college. I think the reaction of a 28 year old who has been out of school for a while to go call his fricking dad is absurd. I just finished law school this past spring and am already independent enough to know that my reaction wouldn't be to run to daddy. That said when I first finished undergrad I still relied on my parents for a ton. There is as much difference between a 28 year old man and a 24 year recent grad as there is between a college freshman and a college senior, if not more.

I am not saying I wouldn't blame him if he was 24. I thought he was for most of this ordeal so far. I found out he was 28 and it just made it that much worse in my mind. It is more of an aggravating factor than anything.

I agree, which makes it even more hard to wrap my head around McQueary staying on staff. How can you keep burying it if you're seeing Sandusky regularly and knowing about his continued proximity with children? Its just mind boggling.

Because McQueary wants to be a college football coach. If he crossed Paterno/Sandusky and the other BMOCs at Penn State, he would be fired and then ostracized from the profession.

He was damned either way, but he certainly took the coward's way out and is paying for it now.

A college freshman should know to call the police if they witnessed a 10 year old boy getting raped. Get fucking serious.

Back