• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sandusky Gets 30 Years

The Board could have a death wish against Paterno. They still made the completely correct decision.

www.post-gazette.com/pg/05232/557150.stm

Connor suspended for prank calling
LB 1 of 3 PSU players facing punishment
Saturday, August 20, 2005
By Chico Harlan, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Three Penn State football players -- including starting linebacker Dan Connor -- face discipline after making a series of prank calls that "escalated to the point of harassment," athletic department spokesman Jeff Nelson said in a statement released yesterday.

Connor, a sophomore, has been suspended indefinitely. He still remains on the team, but the length of his punishment is unknown. "[Head coach Joe Paterno] will decide what level of participation he will have," Nelson, speaking by phone, said.

Consequences for the other two players, junior safety Nolan McCready and junior wide receiver Jim Kanuch, have yet to be determined. Other Penn State players may have participated in the prank calling, Nelson confirmed yesterday. After more facts are gathered, Paterno will determine the punishment for the remainder of those involved.

The victim of the prank calls, according to several sources, is a retired member of the Penn State football family. Nelson refused to comment on the identity of the victim.

The prank calls, which began in the late spring and continued through the summer, were investigated by the State College Police Department, leading to "summary offenses" for Connor, Kanuch and McCready. Those issued summary offenses -- akin to disorderly conduct charges -- are required to pay fines. A spokesperson for the State College police was unavailable last night to comment.

Last season, as a true freshman, Connor played in every game -- starting in four of them -- and finished second on the team with 85 tackles. Kanuch was switched from safety to wideout at the start of spring practice after playing sparingly last season. McCready, a fourth-year junior, is a reserve defensive back.
First published on August 20, 2005 at 12:00 am

"The victim of the prank calls, according to several sources, is a retired member of the Penn State football family. Nelson refused to comment on the identity of the victim."

I assume this is the important part of this article...

I'm sure university policy was for Paterno to tell his superior (the AD) of anything he knew. But everyone with more than mayonnaise for brains knows that the power structure was reversed, with Paterno above the AD. That's the disturbing thing. For a guy that was ostensibly so hung up on running a "clean" program, Paterno did jack shit to stop this.

This reminds me of the Ohio State situation (if I remember correctly) where the chancellor/president half-jokingly said he reported to Tressel, not the other way around.

I wonder if McQ had seen a child being beaten by a member of the football staff, would he have had a different immediate response? Also, if JoPa had been told that a child was being beaten by a (former) member of his staff, would he have passed it on to his AD as not a very serious situation? It is time we start thinking about child abuse in the same way.

Last edited:
"The victim of the prank calls, according to several sources, is a retired member of the Penn State football family. Nelson refused to comment on the identity of the victim."

I assume this is the important part of this article...

They were calling some dude named Joe Sarra I think. That would've been a bizarre story though if those guys had decided to go vigilante on Sandusky through prank phone calls.

Does anyone find it curious that these events occurred in 2004, have been investigated for 18 months and were testified to at a grand jury inquiry that occurred some time ago and yet, the shit hits the fan only AFTER JoePa sets the record for wins. . .

Somebody please tell me that is nothing but a coincidence. . .

I wonder if McQ had seen a child being beaten by a member of the football staff, would he have had a different immediate response? Also, if JoPa had been told that a child was being beaten by a (former) member of his staff, would he have passed it on to his AD as not a very serious situation? It is time we start thinking about child abuse in the same way.

Good post.

If it is true that kids were pimped out to big donors this is just beyond disgusting. Rarely am I at a loss for words, but I think I am there.

I'm trying to piece together what caused this to come to a head now. Wetzel's article in the OP seems a lot like the other article from April, linked to upthread. So it seems these allegations have been swirling about for months now.

It doesn't appear one of the victims instigated anything new in the last 1-2 weeks. Was it Wetzel's article that set all this in motion or something else?

Does anyone find it curious that these events occurred in 2004, have been investigated for 18 months and were testified to at a grand jury inquiry that occurred some time ago and yet, the shit hits the fan only AFTER JoePa sets the record for wins. . .

Somebody please tell me that is nothing but a coincidence. . .

Dan Patrick made that point yesterday. If it is anything but a coincidence, the DA/AG/State Attorney (whomever brought the charges) should be disbarred.

I'm trying to piece together what caused this to come to a head now. Wetzel's article in the OP seems a lot like the other article from April, linked to upthread. So it seems these allegations have been swirling about for months now.

It doesn't appear one of the victims instigated anything new in the last 1-2 weeks. Was it Wetzel's article that set all this in motion or something else?

My understanding was that a year or two ago Sandusky was barred from a school district, which set off this investigation. The 18 month investigation just wrapped up, the report was released, and Sandusky was arrested.

Actually, there's a federal law requiring public employees, at least and especially in education, to report abuse, suspected abuse, or abuse signs. The state probably has similar laws as well. McQueary (and others) may be called to answer to the US Attorney on this.

That law applies to people working "on federal land or in a federally operated (or contracted) facility." http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/13031.html. The DOE investigations that have been spoken of relate to the institutional responsibilities, which will ultimately come down to those in power (Curley, Schultz and Spanier).

My understanding was that a year or two ago Sandusky was barred from a school district, which set off this investigation. The 18 month investigation just wrapped up, the report was released, and Sandusky was arrested.

This is correct.

In watching videos of the students protesting at Penn St....... Do they realize how ridiculous they look? Do they even know what they are protesting for?

Back