• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sap/tar removal from car paint

spiffylubes

Reaction score
I have some spots on my car that might be sap, might be tar, I'm not sure, but seeing as they're on the passenger rear door, I'm assuming sap. Anyone have any tips for removing the sap, if I don't also have the facilities to detail the area afterwards? I just need to get the sap off and not have to clean it thoroughly after (I can do a little bit though).

Wd40 and elbow grease. Apply rubbing compound and then wax afterwards (if possible).

Folks down in Pinehurst use Mayonnaise. Don't ask me why...I've never used it, but some people swear by it. Let it soak for a minute or two and then rub it out. However, if anyone knows how to get pine sap off a car, it's the folks in Pinehurst. Trees be all up in that bitch.

Wait. I this the fapping thread?

I have had good luck with rubbing alcohol. Just put some on a paper towel and rub the sap off. It cuts it well. Make sure you then wipe the paint with a wet cloth as the alcohol would be bad to be left on the paint.

My car was parked under a pine tree a couple years back during a hailstorm which ended up getting a ton of sap all over it. I think I used this stuff but I had to go through about 2 cans and a lot of elbow grease to get it all off.

My dad uses detailing clay a lot on his car to get the bugs off it; I'm not sure how it would work on sap.

be careful what you use; some of the stuff suggested will hammer the finish (rubbing alcohol? lolz). I'd be wary of WD-40 or any solvent/petroleum based substance as well. Yes it'll work but so would kerosene.

be careful what you use; some of the stuff suggested will hammer the finish (rubbing alcohol? lolz). I'd be wary of WD-40 or any solvent/petroleum based substance as well. Yes it'll work but so would kerosene.

I just got my car detailed instead of doing it myself, since I don't have the facilities. Of course, the guy put a tent over my car, under a pine tree, took the tent down when he finished, and then there were more sap spots.

He didn't bother cleaning those off, but he actually did recommend using rubbing alcohol, as long as you don't use a ton and wipe is off cleanly. In my case, it's probably fine since he put a bunch of protectants on over the wax, so I think it'll be fine. Moral of the story is I want a damn garage so I can clean my own damn car and probably do just as good of a job.

I just got my car detailed instead of doing it myself, since I don't have the facilities. Of course, the guy put a tent over my car, under a pine tree, took the tent down when he finished, and then there were more sap spots.

He didn't bother cleaning those off, but he actually did recommend using rubbing alcohol, as long as you don't use a ton and wipe is off cleanly. In my case, it's probably fine since he put a bunch of protectants on over the wax, so I think it'll be fine. Moral of the story is I want a damn garage so I can clean my own damn car and probably do just as good of a job.

A) wow, that is shitty of the dude
B) yes, garages FTW

1. Check if sap has prehistoric mosquitoes in it.
2. ???
3. Profit.

does this work for sticker residue as well?

Yeah, it would. I've also used olive oil to remove sticker residue, of all things. Worked pretty well, but alcohol/WD-40 would work better.

Back