• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SayHeyDeac's Thread For Serious Political Discourse Only--Trolls Need Not Apply

maybe in some of these areas

any chance that electric automobiles can revive the American automobile industry?

encouraging investment in renewable energy?

investing in public transportation in urban areas?

infrastructure investment?
Stuff the left has consistently pushed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

pushing is different from doing

you can try to turn the discussion into a partisan polemic but that would only mean that you have nothing to say
The irony meter just broke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Trump announces he will stop pushing everything around the Clinton e-mail scandal and Clinton Foundation.

Trump announces he will stop pushing everything around the Clinton e-mail scandal and Clinton Foundation.

A broken campaign promise that is actually good for all of us. He needs to focus on jobs and the economy, not on spending more coin on prosecuting that woman.

Corporate taxes will be lowered. It is something even Obama wanted to accomplish. And there is a shit ton of money stashed by corporations overseas that they simply cannot justify bringing home under the current tax regime. Whether that leads to jobs for former factory workers, however, is very debatable. It will certainly lead to greater investment by corporations in America though. But what types of jobs stand to benefit the most I don't think any of us knows.

That's why Obama wanted to pair it with capital gains tax or tax bump on the top 1.5% so the immediate impulse wasn't to just pay huge shareholder dividends. Trump's plan has no such concurrent strategy.

This is also true.

Look, I think that a majority of Americans would be in favor of bolstering the manufacturing sector in the United States. The issue is that neither Trump nor Sanders really has any idea of how to go about doing that. Perhaps Trump will be able to get some offshore-d cash back in tax coffers, but there are very few, if any incentives to moving manufacturing in any industry back to the United States short of nationalizing some of these industries. I don't know if that's what conservatives had in mind when they elected Trump, though the few remaining Maoists and Stalinists may rejoice.

I'd love to hear others' ideas, though, because it's definitely worth thinking through.

One idea is to start manufacturing things only the United States can manufacture, such as the intellectual property of companies that are held locally (green energy? local infrastructure?).

Another is to subsidize local labor costs in ways other than just tax benefits (macro health care, child care, etc) so low cost labor can still be as efficient as overseas labor.

A broken campaign promise that is actually good for all of us. He needs to focus on jobs and the economy, not on spending more coin on prosecuting that woman.

Or just turn his attention to Alec Baldwin and SNL...

Speaking of campaign promises, when are we going to get a look at those tax returns?

Last edited:
Speaking of campaign promises, looks like Trump isn't going to pursue any further action against Hillary. Oops.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

pushing is different from doing

you can try to turn the discussion into a partisan polemic but that would only mean that you have nothing to say

As Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock once said, "It takes two to make a thing go right." Doing for the left generally requires the left and right.

Trump is being shrewd. Congress will surely investigate Hillary. Then we will see what happens.

"LOCK HER UP!" was a pretty big campaign promise.

What ever happened to good, old fashioned market ethics as a motivating tool? I mean, isn't it un-American for Apple to build all of our smartphones overseas? Sure, the price of smartphones may go up, but isn't that a small price to pay to make America great again?

You serious? I thought it was un-American not to make as much money as possible.

I guess it's easy for board conservatives to see liberal solutions if Democrats have no power to get credit for them.

What ever happened to good, old fashioned market ethics as a motivating tool? I mean, isn't it un-American for Apple to build all of our smartphones overseas? Sure, the price of smartphones may go up, but isn't that a small price to pay to make America great again?

Henry Ford, champion of market ethics and also nazis

Electing a CEO who manufactures his goods overseas isn't really a nod to market ethics.

Speaking of campaign promises, looks like Trump isn't going to pursue any further action against Hillary. Oops.

Watching Trump voters realize they got suckered in so many ways is going to be the only consolation the next four years.

I don't always have the time to read an entire thread before I post, but I generally try to provide my fellow deacs the courtesy of at least reading the page on which I'm posting.
CNN has it. On my phone so I'm not posting a link

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I was listening to an older EconTalk last night and it was a discussion about the how the Constitution is dysfunctional by design. The TL/DR version is that the current version incentivizes Congress to wreck and dilute meaningful policy/lawmaking with pork and what not because by their very definition, they're bound to represent their state or district rather than tackle long term/national issues.

The guy that was on suggested we create a Fast Track constitutional amendment for the President to propose legislation that would be voted up or down, without congressional tinkering or filibuster by Congress, same as the fast tracking for trade agreements. Congress could still create their own legislation as they do now. If Congress doesn't like the bill, they can basically veto it so the President would still have to work to make it palatable.

Back