• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SBNation article on Wyoming football (relevant to Wake)

Deacsfan27

Reaction score
Fresh to town is new UW President Bob Sternberg, formerly the Provost at Oklahoma State. As reported by the Casper Star-Tribune last week, Sternberg commissioned a $35,000 review of the men's basketball and football programs from an outside consulting firm, the results of which broke on Monday.

In short, even though Sternberg insists no blame is to be laid on any one player or coach and that the move was a "systems approach" to large-scale issues, the review claims that a culture of acceptable mediocrity persists inside Wyoming's two largest revenue-generating sports. Just as he's making local headlines for shaking up UW's academic rosters, so too does Sternberg seem set on making changes in athletics.

"There were a lot of heads in the sand. People thought certain things were acceptable, and they were wrong," Sternberg tells me Sunday afternoon. "You can talk about the altitude and the cold and the distance from a particular airport, but the reality is that we're not where we want to be. It's not like this is the first year football hasn't been where we want it to be. It's a trend."

"There's always excuses for a sports program not winning or academic program not succeeding. And it's not that the excuses aren't true; it's that they aren't sufficient," Sternberg said.

Very interesting to me because a lot of the same things that are talked about in the third paragraph, albeit for different reasons, could be said about Wake.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/11/14/5103678/wyoming-cowboys-football-profile

Good find. I'd be curious to see what an outside evaluator would say about our athletics department.

Agree very interesting. I think an outside evaluator would say that Wake has 1000000x the potential of Wyoming and it's an even bigger shame that we have accepted a culture of mediocrity.

And it's not that the excuses aren't true; it's that they aren't sufficient," Sternberg said.

The simple truth if you have leadership from the top.

Back