• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scheduling Question

ChrisL68 said:
You can play two pretty sure wins and still have room for a ND or Nebraska.

We currently do that. We just lost our first pretty sure win. We will also beat Vandy.

We currently do that. We just lost our first pretty sure win. We will also beat Vandy.

Syracuse and Vandy are not pretty sure wins.

Tulane is a pretty sure win. UAB is a pretty sure win.

We were underdogs at the Cuse.

ChrisL68 said:
Deacfreak07 wrote: We currently do that. We just lost our first pretty sure win. We will also beat Vandy.

Syracuse and Vandy are not pretty sure wins.

Tulane is a pretty sure win. UAB is a pretty sure win.

We were underdogs at the Cuse.

You have to remember when we schedule these games. And Vandy is a pretty sure win. Any teams that last year's D was able to beat is a pretty sure win. Cuse is not good either. Even if it was on the road. That loss was classic pooch screwing.

You have to remember when we schedule these games. And Vandy is a pretty sure win. Any teams that last year's D was able to beat is a pretty sure win. Cuse is not good either. Even if it was on the road. That loss was classic pooch screwing.

Vandy beat Ole Miss 30-7.

They are a sure win like the Duke board is pegging Wake a "should win", just in the delusion of their fanbase.

Neither of those games are sure wins. We should play two OOC game where we are double digit favorites.

ChrisL68 said:
Deacfreak07 wrote: You have to remember when we schedule these games. And Vandy is a pretty sure win. Any teams that last year's D was able to beat is a pretty sure win. Cuse is not good either. Even if it was on the road. That loss was classic pooch screwing.

Vandy beat Ole Miss 30-7.

They are a sure win like the Duke board is pegging Wake a "should win", just in the delusion of their fanbase.

Neither of those games are sure wins. We should play two OOC game where we are double digit favorites.

Then we make probably 1/2-2/3 the ticket revenue and you can kiss the video board, concessions, etc. bye-bye.

Then we make probably 1/2-2/3 the ticket revenue and you can kiss the video board, concessions, etc. bye-bye.

Are many more people going to come to the Wake Forest/Vandy or Syracuse games than to the Wake Forest Tulane game.

That still leaves you with two OOC games against the Notre Dames of the world. One elite game and one tough game and two should wins. That is still tougher than most of our conference teams play.

Wake football has generated revenue because we have won.

No reason for us to consistently play one of the most difficult OOC schedules in the ACC. And making bowl games are important.

Last edited:
Avoiding a crappy bowl is more about where we finish in the ACC than overall record. If Wake finishes 6-6 or 7-5 and 4 of those wins are over cupcake out of conference schools (meaning a 2-6 or 3-5 ACC record) we will go to the worst ACC bowl. However if we go 6-6 or 7-5 but finish 6-2 or 5-3 or even 4-4 in the ACC, we will likely go to a better bowl.

This exactly.

Keep dreaming.

Wake will always go to the worst bowl that can be assigned to us with a straight face/without bowl organizers or the ACC having egg on their faces. That is pretty much the impetus for my disillusion with bowls and my desire to see us schedule fun regular season opponents, even if it makes us less likely to go to a bowl.

I'm pretty surprised that we as a fanbase, having been invited to so few bowls in our history, are discounting the importance of going bowling. To each his own I guess. It may be an exhibition, but it's fun for the players and I think tells recruits that we are consistently winning and going somewhere positive as a program. Not to mention all the extra practice time. I also love having one OOC big name opponent. But Wake Forest football needs to establish a tradition of winning. Winning any game breeds good feelings and tends to beget more winning.

I am very curious how conference realignment will affect our scheduling philosophy. Hard to believe that that 2015 ND matchup has a small outside shot of morphing into a conference game. The sports world is full of (potential) surprises.

http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062504aaa.html

Wake Forest's Non-Conference Opponents By Year:
2011: Notre Dame, at Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Gardner-Webb
2012: Army, Liberty, at Notre Dame, Vanderbilt
2013: at Army, Rice, at Vanderbilt, TBA
2014: Army, Northern Illinois, at Rice, at Vanderbilt
2015: at Army, Vanderbilt, at Notre Dame, TBA

This is a very good lineup of OOC opponents, one that fits us academically and athletically. Absurd to be trying to play anyone in the SEC other than Vandy or trying to play other big state football factories.

Would love to see us try again for a continuing home-and-home with Northwestern, but I understand that RW has tried and Northwestern won't do it.

This is a very good lineup of OOC opponents, one that fits us academically and athletically. Absurd to be trying to play anyone in the SEC other than Vandy or trying to play other big state football factories.

Would love to see us try again for a continuing home-and-home with Northwestern, but I understand that RW has tried and Northwestern won't do it.

Eh, I'd say we more than held our own against Ole Miss

Eh, I'd say we more than held our own against Ole Miss

I don't think we'd be shaking in our cleats at the thought of a home and home with Kentucky either. As long as we're talking about football and not basketball. :thumbsup:

DeacDaddy said:
I'm pretty surprised that we as a fanbase, having been invited to so few bowls in our history, are discounting the importance of going bowling. To each his own I guess. It may be an exhibition, but it's fun for the players and I think tells recruits that we are consistently winning and going somewhere positive as a program. Not to mention all the extra practice time. I also love having one OOC big name opponent. But Wake Forest football needs to establish a tradition of winning. Winning any game breeds good feelings and tends to beget more winning.

I am very curious how conference realignment will affect our scheduling philosophy. Hard to believe that that 2015 ND matchup has a small outside shot of morphing into a conference game. The sports world is full of (potential) surprises.

Bowl games are awesome when you're Clemson and you get New Year's Day Gator Bowl invites to play Nebraska for going 7-5. Less so when you're Wake Forest and the same record earns you a trip to DC 5 days before Christmas to play a service academy you already played that season.

The Gator was the worst about that and the ACC parted ways with them.

Bowl games are awesome when you're Clemson and you get New Year's Day Gator Bowl invites to play Nebraska for going 7-5. Less so when you're Wake Forest and the same record earns you a trip to DC 5 days before Christmas to play a service academy you already played that season.

Very true. I still think winning garners more respect over time. But I realize bowls are about fan draw as much as anything, and we'll always be behind the 8 ball there. If we could win enough to merit a Chik-fil-a or new years day bowl invite that no one else could steal away, that would be ideal.

Very true. I still think winning garners more respect over time. But I realize bowls are about fan draw as much as anything, and we'll always be behind the 8 ball there. If we could win enough to merit a Chik-fil-a or new years day bowl invite that no one else could steal away, that would be ideal.

This. I'm not against bowls, but I think folks that want to create a crummy non conference schedule, are discounting the impact of those games:

1) Revenue
2) Exposure to different markets for recruiting
3) Preparation for the conference schedule which is the only way we can assure good bowls.

And everyone is missing the factor of cost. A home and home allows each team to keep the revenue from it's home game. For whoever proposes four crappy games a year, do you suggest playing half of them on the road at the likes of tulane or directional Michigan? Because that's the only way we could afford it. 1a teams generally demand between 700k and a million for a one off road game and wake wouldn't make enough off that game to cover the cost of three or four of those a year.

One point that has been missed in this discussion is that going to a bowl game, any bowl game gives the team something like fourteen additional practice days after the end of the season. Particularly for a young team, but also for teams that redshirt as heavily as Wake does, the extra practices are gold for the next year.

One point that has been missed in this discussion is that going to a bowl game, any bowl game gives the team something like fourteen additional practice days after the end of the season. Particularly for a young team, but also for teams that redshirt as heavily as Wake does, the extra practices are gold for the next year.

Good point. I think you could make an argument that preparation for a better team during the season is pretty valuable as well vs. prep for a cupcake.

Back