• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Schiff Op-Ed on House Memo; Committee Transcript Released

Not a damn thing has leaked about the memo

It will be devastating for the Dems and the FBI

Picture_5.JPG

Remember the good ole days when Republicans were for law and order and you could count on them to give hell to Russia? Now they bend over for Putin and try to undermine the FBI. Weird world we live in.

If Trump's own FBI Director resigns, it will likely blowup in Trump's face. It will piss off Mueller and NY State AG. Get some popcorn people.

Senator Urges Fellow Republicans to Heed Warnings on Releasing G.O.P. Memo—And Pelosi calls for Nunes to be replaced as committee chair as he’s unfit.

—————
WASHINGTON — Senator John Thune of South Dakota, the No. 3 Senate Republican, urged House Republicans on Thursday to slow their push to release a secret staff-written memo said to accuse the F.B.I. and Justice Department of abusing their authorities to obtain a warrant to spy on a former Trump campaign associate.

Mr. Thune said he thought that the Senate Intelligence Committee and its Republican chairman, Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina, should be allowed to see the document before its release. He also said that House Republicans should carefully consider the F.B.I.’s warning that it had “grave concerns” about making the memo public.

“They need to pay careful attention to what our folks who protect us have to say about what this, you know, how this bears on our national security,” Mr. Thune told reporters at the Republicans’ annual policy retreat at the Greenbrier resort in West Virginia.

Mr. Thune’s note of caution joined a growing chorus of warnings from national security officials who say that releasing the memo would jeopardize sensitive government information, including how intelligence is gathered, and from Democrats who say it is politically motivated and distorts the actions of the Justice Department and the F.B.I. by omitting crucial context.

Mr. Thune also called for a Democratic memo rebutting the Republican document to be shown to the public at the same time.

President Trump, who has made clear that he wants the memo to be public, was expected to indicate as early as Thursday that despite strong objections by the F.B.I. and the Justice Department, he did not intend to block its release — a move that would free the committee to release it. He had five days from the time of the vote to review the document for national security concerns and object to its disclosure. A White House official confirmed on Thursday that Mr. Trump has read the memo.

In a rare statement on Wednesday, the F.B.I. strongly condemned the memo’s release, saying the bureau had “grave concerns about material omissions of fact that fundamentally impact the memo’s accuracy.”

People familiar with the three-and-a-half page Republican memo say it contends that officials from the F.B.I. and Justice Department may have misled a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court judge when they sought a warrant to spy on the former Trump campaign adviser, Carter Page, in October 2016. The people say the officials relied on information handed over by a former British intelligence officer, Christopher Steele, without adequately explaining to the judge that Democrats had financed his research.

Also at issue on Thursday were charges by Democrats that the Republicans had made “material changes” to the memo after the Intelligence Committee voted to release it but before it was transmitted to the White House for review. Representative Adam Schiff of California, the top Democrat on the Intelligence Committee, wrote in a letter late Wednesday that the committee needed to restart the process and vote again on the revised memo under the same never-before-used House rules that the committee invoked to vote on the release.

The letter started yet another round of finger-pointing among committee members, who have bitterly wrestled over the memo. Republicans quickly countered Wednesday night that Mr. Schiff was “complaining about minor edits” and said their vote was “absolutely procedurally sound.” But a senior Democratic official familiar with the changes said the Democrats had found five material changes to the memo, including one that the official described as an apparent effort to water down the Republican findings. There were six separate changes to grammar or word choice, the person said.

In a sharply worded letter of her own on Thursday morning, Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, the Democratic leader, called on Speaker Paul D. Ryan to remove Representative Devin Nunes of California as the Intelligence Committee’s chairman.

“Congressman Nunes’s deliberately dishonest actions make him unfit to serve as Chairman, and he must be removed immediately from this position,” she wrote, adding, “The integrity of the House is at stake.”

Mr. Nunes gave no indication that he intended to change course.

The Senate Intelligence Committee’s earlier request to see the memo was declined.
—————

Well this is a crazy world we live in. Democrats are saying that the FBI is an uncorruptible institution and blowing them ever chance they get, while the pubs are at war with Authoritarian law enforcement agencies they used to love so very much. I don't even know what is happening anymore.

Remember the good ole days when Republicans were for law and order and you could count on them to give hell to Russia? Now they bend over for Putin and try to undermine the FBI. Weird world we live in.

lol, I missed your post looks like you beat me to the punch.

With the hysteria, and rush to get out in front of the memo from the left I seriously doubt it is a nothing burger. Might be biased and misleading, but most likely not a nothing burger. If it was meh then dems should have downplayed it, and debunked it when it was released.

Back