• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

School Removes "God" From Child's Poem

RaleighDevil

Reaction score
This raises ignorance of the Constitution to another level. Does this mean that speakers may not say that God gave them strength or that they prayed during a troubled time in their lives and received guidance? I wonder what half-assed lawyer gave them this advice. Cue the ACLU to step in on behalf of the child.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-orders-child-to-remove-god-from-poem.html

A North Carolina community is embroiled in controversy after a school ordered a six-year-old girl to remove the word “God” from a poem that she was supposed to read during a Veteran’s Day ceremony.

The girl is a first-grader at West Marion Elementary School. She was supposed to read the poem during a school assembly marking Veteran’s Day. The poem honored her two grandfathers who had served during the Vietnam War.

“He prayed to God for peace, he prayed to God for strength,” the poem read.

A parent reportedly found out about the poem and expressed concern about mentioning the word God during a school event. The parent did not want the Almighty’s name mentioned anywhere in the program, according to one account.

“We wanted to make sure we were upholding the school district’s responsibility of separation of church and state from the Establishment Clause,” Supt. Gerri Martin told the McDowell News.

Martin told the newspaper she made the decision in consultation with the school’s principal and vice principal.

“We jointly decided that we must err on the side of caution to prevent crossing the line on the Establishment Clause of the Constitution,” Kirkpatrick told the newspaper. “As a principal of a public school, I must put aside my personal religious beliefs and follow the law — which upholds that we have freedom of speech and freedom of religion, but that we, as public schools, cannot endorse one single religion over another.”

Fox News contacted the parents of the child but they declined to comment on the controversy.

The incident has sparked widespread concern across this western North Carolina community — called by many the buckle of the Bible Belt.

“I’m reserving my opinion at this point – but I’m very concerned that the young lady’s First Amendment rights have been broken,” said Scott Hagaman, senior pastor of Marion’s First Baptist Church.

Outrageous!!!! Damn this attack on the Judeo Christian beliefs that are a foundation of our society. What's next, a war on Christmas?

Don't worry, he's on his way.

LastOunceofCourage.jpg

I wonder if they say the pledge of allegiance every morning?

The parent that made an issue of a 6 year old reading a poem is a miserable cunt and should not be allowed to hide behind anonymity.

Last edited:
as a staunch atheist, i find this ridiculous

Stupidity like this is what gives the religious right it's strength. The community should be outraged. It is akin to forcing an atheist to use God in a poem. Pretty ridiculous. It is a poem and the girl is 6 years old. These are the actions that are at the heart of the religious communities' fears. I am not claiming the slippery slope but this gives validity to the people who do.

Stupidity like this is what gives the religious right it's strength. The community should be outraged. It is akin to forcing an atheist to use God in a poem. Pretty ridiculous. It is a poem and the girl is 6 years old. These are the actions that are at the heart of the religious communities' fears. I am not claiming the slippery slope but this gives validity to the people who do.

Which is why I believe that if conservatives really embraced the idea of religious liberty, it would be a winning issue. This outrage doesn't mesh with protestations about building Mosques or the anxiety people have over Sharia Law. I think people of all faiths and people of no faiths would embrace issues of religious liberty.

Which is why I believe that if conservatives really embraced the idea of religious liberty, it would be a winning issue. This outrage doesn't mesh with protestations about building Mosques or the anxiety people have over Sharia Law. I think people of all faiths and people of no faiths would embrace issues of religious liberty.

I agree 100%

No, they shouldn't.

The school was wrong, but it sounds like mommy or daddy wrote that. That doesn't sound like the way a six year old would write.

I would be pretty outraged if it were my daughter or the classmate of my daughter that the school system was censoring.

outraged is the world you'd use? outrage?

outrage is for responding to a lynching or the japanese bombing pearl harbor

Back