• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scot Sexton's take on Bolling drug charge

WinkinDeac

Reaction score
Standard Haas pre-apologies apply, didn't see it posteed elsewhere.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/colu...cle_a596bfe6-ce3d-11e2-9278-001a4bcf6878.html

"Bolling was cooperative from the moment he opened his door. He told investigators that he had human growth hormone to aid in the rehabilitation of an injured knee. A questionable decision for sure, but he did show police a surgical scar on his knee to demonstrate his sincerity.
He also accepted responsibility for the marijuana. He was contrite. He did everything the university told him to do. And he graduated in May.
Bolling made a mistake and was a man about accepting the consequences. Though the incident started as an embarrassment to the player and the school, the way Bolling handled it strangely wound up being something he should be commended for."

WTF?

This episode began with someone leaving an anonymous tip about illegal drug sales at the apartment complex where Bolling, an offensive lineman, lived with teammate Duran Lowe, a safety.

So the cops did what cops do. They went over for what they call a “knock and talk” — they come to your residence, tell you why they’re there and ask if they can come inside. Anything left out in plain view is fair game.

As it turned out, police went to the wrong apartment. The address got mangled in transmission.

"the judicial official found no evidence of drug sales, distribution or anything of that nature"

Interesting. There were several people throwing around accusations here and on Scout that they were dealing drugs, I assume from this incident.

This was kind of cool though:

“The reason I prosecuted that case was because I talk to incoming athletes at WFU every August to warn them and alert them of the consequences of their actions,” O’Neill said. “I also tell them if they make a decision to break the law and not follow the rules, they will see me again, but we will be standing in front of a judge.”

Agreed, Winkin.

Agreed, Winkin.

I actually cringed when I read that. I'd much prefer he say, "the reason I prosecuted that case was because I prosecute all cases like that--whether the defendant is a high profile athlete or not. It is wrong for them to get special treatment but it is also wrong for them to be dealt with more harshly. Justice is blind."

I think that was the point of what he said. Athletes will be treated like everyone else.

“The reason I prosecuted that case was because I talk to incoming athletes at WFU every August to warn them and alert them of the consequences of their actions and most importantly I didn't want to make the cops look stupid ,” O’Neill said. "

Fixed it for him.

I hope that was his point, but it sounds a little different to me. It sounds like he's saying that all athletes will be prosecuted, but he didnt say anything about "everyone else." And I'm not just mincing words. Based on the facts, this seems like the type of offense that could/would have been swept under the rug if there wasnt media attention--especially if the defendant had the means to do so.

so when is buzz taking over the football coaching duties. Hard to think it would be worse than bball.

On a more serious note, was the part about HGH widely known? Seems like that would be a pretty big deal, but I never heard any talk about it.

“The reason I prosecuted that case was because I talk to incoming athletes at WFU every August to warn them and alert them of the consequences of their actions and most importantly I didn't want to make the cops look stupid ,” O’Neill said. "

Fixed it for him.

I really don't think that the cops need help from anyone for that.

I really don't think that the cops need help from anyone for that.

Especially not Winston-Harlem's finest.

On multiple occasions I heard them derisively use the term 'college boy' when breaking up parties.

These guys should have known better to let the cops in their apt with no warrant, esp. if they had weed and HGH laying around.

Back