• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

I look forward to this line or originalism, "clearly the founders only meant muskets in the Second Amendment's 'keep and bear arms.' The founders didn't foresee such advanced weapons..."

Supreme Court allows DACA to continue. 5-4, with Roberts writing decision.

Get fucked, conservatives. Get. Fucked.

I just finished the decision. It’s a hilarious loss to have one of your biggest policies fail because the reasoning was arbitrary and capricious and your administration can’t comply with the APA. In the end, all this probably does is buy time for Biden to be elected and a permanent fix to be implemented. It’s a loss for trump, but I’m not sure it’s that much of a win. Yet.

I just finished the decision. It’s a hilarious loss to have one of your biggest policies fail because the reasoning was arbitrary and capricious and your administration can’t comply with the APA. In the end, all this probably does is buy time for Biden to be elected and a permanent fix to be implemented. It’s a loss for trump, but I’m not sure it’s that much of a win. Yet.

Are you really surprised Trump's staff isn't competent enough to follow basic rules?

Instantly an added case to every administrative law class. Basically brings out the best hits of the study.

The problem with this decision as well as the Census one is that they show how broken the government is. Both would technically be allowed if an administration wasn't a flaming pile of dog shit, like say the hate and nationalist bullshit of trump but implemented by Tom Cotton. The last decade nothing of significance is passed into law because Congress is completely broken so everything is decided by EO or just norms that are easily overturned or smashed.

Y'all can't tell me that these two most recent decisions haven't been influenced by the cultural shift of the last month. Roberts specifically wants to be on the right side of history and he sees the nation standing up to the nativism and discrimination of the age of Trump.

Trump tweeted that Supreme Court doesn't like him. Poor baby!

How dare the Supreme Court not do what he tells them to do.

It's a small win, the significance of which is being way overblown. It's an embarrassing L for trump and his administration, and that is something we should all enjoy. But all this does is say "try again." They most certainly will try again. In the short term, it's good news. In the long term, DACA recipients may have been better off with a decision allowing the program to end and forcing the administration and congress to work out an actual solution. On the other hand, this should buy them enough time for the 2020 election to play out and hopefully give them more leverage when it comes time to make a deal.

Except this administration would never sign anything to help immigrants.

Trump hilariously misplayed this. He could have had a Wall/DACA deal years ago. Instead he’s going to leave office with DACA in place and no wall.

They would certainly never do anything out of a desire to help immigrants. But DACA was a huge card they had to play in negotiations over other immigration restrictions, wall, etc. This decision is a significant blow to that leverage. Dems can sit back and wait for the election to take place now, rather than being forced to deal with trump or put the DACA recipients in peril.

The best case for Trump was SCOTUS allowing him to end DACA, and then him forcing the Dems to the table before the election in hopes of working out a deal to make DACA permanent while also restricting other immigration and getting wall funding. He'd appease his base, and DACA is so popular it would help him in the election. Now, that's not happening.

The more I think through the politics, the bigger I think this decision is.

i haven't read them, but is it clear that they'd have ruled otherwise if not for incompetence? Or are they simply using the incompetence as a convenient scapegoat to avoid having to go deeper?

Back