• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

Scalia was on the Rehnquist Court for a good deal of time as well. Longer, I think, than he has been affiliated with Roberts. And he doesn't give two fucks about being on the so-called "wrong side of history", which is what makes him far more captivating than any other judge who has sat during his tenure. Kennedy is simply a flag blowing with the wind. Like O'Connor, only without the benefit of having the first vagina on the court. Kennedy is for that reason inherently uninteresting. Scalia actually has a personality that shows in his opinions.
Supreme Court judges are certainly remembered for their personalities.

Remember that gift SCOTUS just gave republican presidential candidates. It was thrown away.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R):

“Guided by my faith, I believe in traditional marriage. I believe the Supreme Court should have allowed the states to make this decision. I also believe that we should love our neighbor and respect others, including those making lifetime commitments. In a country as diverse as ours, good people who have opposing views should be able to live side by side.”

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R):

"The Supreme Court has spoken with a very divided voice on something only the Supreme Being can do-redefine marriage. I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch. We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat.”

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum (R):

“Today, five unelected justices decided to redefine the foundational unit that binds together our society without public debate or input. Now is the people’s opportunity respond because the future of the institution of marriage is too important to not have a public debate.”

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R):

"This decision will pave the way for an all out assault against the religious freedom rights of Christians who disagree with this decision. This ruling must not be used as pretext by Washington to erode our right to religious liberty."

Dr. Ben Carson (R):

“While I strongly disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision, their ruling is now the law of the land. I call on Congress to make sure deeply held religious views are respected and protected. The government must never force Christians to violate their religious beliefs.”

Former HP exec Carly Fiorina (R):

“This is only the latest example of an activist Court ignoring its constitutional duty to say what the law is and not what the law should be. Justice Alito spoke for so many of us when he said that "[t]oday’s decision usurps the constitutional right of the people to decide whether to keep or alter the traditional understanding of marriage...All Americans, whatever their thinking on that issue, should worry about what the majority’s claim of power portends."

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham (R):

"As president, I would staunchly defend religious liberty in this nation and would devote the necessary federal resources to the protection of all Americans from any effort to hinder the free and full exercise of their rights."

Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R):

"I am disappointed the Supreme Court today chose to change the centuries old definition of marriage as between one man and one woman. I’m a firm believer in traditional marriage, and I also believe the 10th Amendment leaves it to each state to decide this issue. I fundamentally disagree with the court rewriting the law and assaulting the 10th Amendment."

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D):

"Proud to celebrate a historic victory for marriage equality-& the courage & determination of LGBT Americans who made it possible."

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (I):

“This decision is a victory for same-sex couples across our country as well as all those seeking to live in a nation where every citizen is afforded equal rights. For far too long our justice system has marginalized the gay community and I am very glad the Court has finally caught up to the American people.”

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley (D):

“So grateful to the people of MD for leading the way on this important issue of human dignity and equality under the law. #MarriageEquaility”

It goes to show just how disappointing the GOP field is when Ben Carson sounds the most reasonable. Curiously, I do not see Rand Paul's remarks up there. It is a big opportunity for him. Rubio too, although he doesn't carry the same potential for libertarian votes that Paul does.

LOL, I just spent far too long reading the comments on Ken Paxton's Facebook page. Typical stuff you'd expect from Texans posting on a conservative AG's Facebook page. But man, HILARIOUS stuff when he excitedly announced his personal victory regarding the SCOTUS decision that upheld Texas' right to ban the Confederate flag from being printed on state license plates.

People are PISSED. Lots of "Sorry I voted for you"; "Go get a job in the North, you YANKEE"! Awesome.

It goes to show just how disappointing the GOP field is when Ben Carson sounds the most reasonable. Curiously, I do not see Rand Paul's remarks up there. It is a big opportunity for him. Rubio too, although he doesn't carry the same potential for libertarian votes that Paul does.

Yeah, when Ben Carson is the voice of reason, you have issues. Paul and Rubio played this the right way. I just don't get who is advising the Republican candidates. Maybe they don't have advisers and are just so their own little world they don't get how these comments/actions look to potential voters.

LOL, I just spent far too long reading the comments on Ken Paxton's Facebook page. Typical stuff you'd expect from Texans posting on a conservative AG's Facebook page. But man, HILARIOUS stuff when he excitedly announced his personal victory regarding the SCOTUS decision that upheld Texas' right to ban the Confederate flag from being printed on state license plates.

People are PISSED. Lots of "Sorry I voted for you"; "Go get a job in the North, you YANKEE"! Awesome.

Texas, Florida, and Ohio would be the #1, 2, and 3 picks on my states to trade board.

Yeah, when Ben Carson is the voice of reason, you have issues. Paul and Rubio played this the right way. I just don't get who is advising the Republican candidates. Maybe they don't have advisers and are just so their own little world they don't get how these comments/actions look to potential voters.

There are a whole lot of very stupid people in this country that completely agree with them.

They do have advisors and that is their own little world.

Am I misunderstanding Bush's response? I didn't see a problem with that.

Am I misunderstanding Bush's response? I didn't see a problem with that.

No, his response was measured too, but to be expected from him. Even Perry's isn't terrible. It's the other responses that make me roll my eyes (apart from Carson's).

White heteros have been super oppressed this week

What exactly is Huckabee saying? Would he dissolve the court or is he advocating taking up arms against the government? If the GOP has too many candidates, Hillary should buy up air time and let Huckabee and Santorum rail on LGBT issues and Trump talk about Latinos.

The first couple to get married in Dallas has been together for 55 years:

first-dalco-license.jpg

Link

Awesome.

Fuck You Paxton

Back