• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Screw Jim Boeheim

With the addition of Syracuse and Pitt, Verizon in D.C., and MSG would be much better host cities than Greensboro.

I've been to the garden numerous times. It's great. Maybe instead of Greensboro for the ACCT we bring back the big four tournament? I know, I know... it'll never happen... but an old guy can dream.

Co-sign.

I've been to the garden numerous times. It's great. Maybe instead of Greensboro for the ACCT we bring back the big four tournament? I know, I know... it'll never happen... but an old guy can dream.

Forget that and bring back a new version of the Dixie Classic. The Big 4 versus four top teams from around the country.

WFU vs. Kansas
Duke vs. UConn
UNC vs. Kentucky
NCSU vs. UCLA

Forget that and bring back a new version of the Dixie Classic. The Big 4 versus four top teams from around the country.

WFU vs. Kansas
Duke vs. UConn
UNC vs. Kentucky
NCSU vs. UCLA

That would be very cool.

Boeheim is the preeminent whiner in all of sports

i think the center of the conference is in northern virginia.
For what its worth, the geographic center of the ACC with Pitt and Syracuse included is Reidsville, NC, about 10 miles north of Greensboro.

Just hard from me to imagine how exciting Childress' performance in 95 would have been in the Garden with 41 WFU fans in attendance. Greensboro was electric and rocking.

With hotel rooms at $250 / night and airfare to NYC meaning a required 4 nite booking, we'll be lucky to have 41 fans in attendance.

With hotel rooms at $250 / night and airfare to NYC meaning a required 4 nite booking, we'll be lucky to have 41 fans in attendance.

With a couple of phone calls I could round up a couple of dozen Wake grads who live in Midtown Manhattan. I could also find a place to crash. Believe it or not, all Wake grads don't live in Kernersville.

Additionally, if you book far enough out, you can get a very good deal on hotels in NYC. I just looked at Expedia and they had plenty of decent hotels for less than $200 for the weekend of the ACC tournament near MSG.

Last edited:
With a couple of phone calls I could round up a couple of dozen Wake grads who live in Midtown Manhattan. I could also find a place to crash. Believe it or not, all Wake grads don't live in Kernersville.

Additionally, if you book far enough out, you can get a very good deal on hotels in NYC. I just looked at Expedia and they had plenty of decent hotels for less than $200 for the weekend of the ACC tournament near MSG.

Agreed. And also you can check hotwire. Lots of hotels to be had less than $200. And Wake has TONS of alumni in the D.C. area, just a short train ride away.l

Yeah, count me in as a New Yorker who bloody loathes the Garden. I get the history, but it is a shit arena. The architecture is bad 60s. It's not like it's the Boston Garden of yesteryear. MSG is not in Madison Square is surrounded by horrific buildings save the Post Office (which used to be front for the most beautiful building in NYC - Penn Station.

But back to the building - you can imagine it sitting in Tulsa Oklahoma or Syracuse New York. There is no magic to the structure of the building, none. It's a piece of shit. It just happens to "the Garden," and has as good amount of history of any arena currently still standing.

But it still sucks as a building.

Wake grads can afford a couple days in New York. The only Wake fans more likely to go to Greensboro than New York are the ones that live in North Carolina. Otherwise you're still flying and getting a hotel. It's more expensive to fly to Greensboro than NYC from most places and then you have to rent a car. Sure, the hotel will be more expensive. Then again if Wake loses there is actually stuff to do.

Overall not that big a price difference except the experience would be 100 times more fun in NYC. Personally I know that I'd have a good chance of selling my Wake friends on a New York ACC tournament trip but would have no chance dragging them to Greensboro. Heck, from DC if you wanted to do it on the cheap you could take a $20 bus and stay with a friend.

^I did essentially the same thing for CvC....of course its only two nights of games and only did one night (came back for football the next day) but I spent less than $200 on the whole thing with food, entertainment, tickets, transportation.

The Greensboro Coliseum and Madison Square Garden are equally ugly:

greensboro_coliseum2.jpg

new_york_madison2.jpg

Greensboro is a boring (but cheap) city steeped in ACC tradition. New York is an exciting (but expensive) city with no ties to the ACC.

Geographically, New York is too far north, and Greensboro is a little too far south:

acc-map.gif

I vote Verizon Center.

MSG great impact on recruiting IMO

If I'm an ACC coach and can be in a prospect's living room saying, "hey, you get to play at Madison Square Garden and you'll love New York" I think it's a great marketing point for the recruiters and the league. I think it's been a point in Big East's favor for a while now and would upgrade the ACC tournament a lot actually.

I'm old school and love the tournament in Greensboro but honestly, we need to move on to the bright lights for sake of the league and recruiting IMO.

The Garden is a horrible place to watch a game. Other than seats from FT line to FT line, there are bad sight lines.

Back