• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Search Firm assistance?

How the hell do you get a job doing that? Seems like a sweet gig.

I'm always more interested in wondering what kind of AD is so useless that he needs to employ a search firm. Isn't hiring coaches for the two revenue sports one of the most, if not the most, important tasks within an AD's job description? It is like a truck driver hiring someone to drive his truck for him. What good is an AD who can't hire his own coaches? Merely placing the call should cause immediate termination.

I'm always more interested in wondering what kind of AD is so useless that he needs to employ a search firm. Isn't hiring coaches for the two revenue sports one of the most, if not the most, important tasks within an AD's job description? It is like a truck driver hiring someone to drive his truck for him. What good is an AD who can't hire his own coaches? Merely placing the call should cause immediate termination.

Well, our AD didn't use a search firm when he hired Bzzz, so something needed to change based on how that turned out.

Not at all, a third party can really keep things from getting off track and keep the lines of communications positive and not emotional.

Maybe if he didn't call someone for help it would have caused immediate termination. Not likely, but maybe he was encouraged to do this so we did not end up with [Redacted] 2.0.

My wife worked for one of the top executive search firms for a while. Hated the job but handled some cool searches (including one high-profile sports position).

Search firms' value lies primarily in their network of contacts they use to vet potential candidates, going past references and obvious contacts to try to dig for any dirt (e.g., those guys shilling for [Redacted] are full of shit--that guy throws his players under the bus, can't coach, etc.). People are willing to talk to the top search firms because they want to be considered for future jobs. Most industries are small worlds, and if you find the right person, you can often flag problems with candidates who look good on the surface.

My wife worked for one of the top executive search firms for a while. Hated the job but handled some cool searches (including one high-profile sports position).

Search firms' value lies primarily in their network of contacts they use to vet potential candidates, going past references and obvious contacts to try to dig for any dirt (e.g., those guys shilling for [Redacted] are full of shit--that guy throws his players under the bus, can't coach, etc.). People are willing to talk to the top search firms because they want to be considered for future jobs. Most industries are small worlds, and if you find the right person, you can often flag problems with candidates who look good on the surface.

Why didn't she like the job?

Why didn't she like the job?

Wasn't a good personality fit for her for various reasons. It's a very demanding, client service-focused industry, with a handful of powerful partners who bring in all the business but can be difficult to work for (somewhat similar to big law firms, investment banks, etc).

I get what they do, but all of those things are things that a major-conference AD should be able to do himself. That is a major reason for him having that job.

2&2, be thankful. We did a national search instead of an Ohio search.

2&2, be thankful. We did a national search instead of an Ohio search.

Right, and most major schools rely on search firms in one way or another. They might use one if they're in the vetting stage of the search and don't want to wade through 25 candidates to find a few to bring in to interview. They also might even use a search firm before the current coach is fired, just so they know in advance who might be interested without letting anyone know that a change is planned. If it wasn't common for schools to do this, then firms like the one Wellman used wouldn't exist.

I thought Wellman said they wouldn't be using a search firm at his press conference where Dan asked him some pointed questions.

I thought Wellman said they wouldn't be using a search firm at his press conference where Dan asked him some pointed questions.

He also said [Redacted] resigned and did everything they asked him to do.

Apparently Wellman can lie as much as he wants without any accountability. From the school, and from the press.

Dan may ask a question or two, but he needs to quit being afraid and be a real journalist. Dan is a great guy, but just like Wellman, his legacy is also at stake. He needs to get some backbone and point out the laundry list of lies.

Back