• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Search firms for Coaches and ADs

Right. They also promote the position and encourage applicants, officially and unofficially check references, and inform the employer of any potential issues, etc. It's hard to expect an AD to do all that by himself or with a small staff of his own people in the compressed time frame of a coaching hire. If you want to avoid crony hires, go with a firm who knows the landscape and draw from a broader pool of candidates.

I was more of proponent of the AD doing the search on his own until we ended up with Bz and I saw a search firm do their thing up close. Believe me there is plenty for an AD and committee to do even with a search firm.

Believe me there is plenty for an AD and committee to do even with a search firm.

Exactly...especially in the competitive world of college basketball where big coaches demand big salaries and the right coach can be the difference in huge profits or high losses, there's no way an AD can do as good of a job finding and vetting candidates as a search firm. As Bzz has shown, this isn't a hire you can afford to just wing.

Think of him what you will but UNC used one when they hired Fedora and that seems to have worked well for them.

Think of him what you will but UNC used one when they hired Fedora and that seems to have worked well for them.

I'm not sure we've seen nearly enough to know how that hire will turn out. What has he done? Considering the amount of corruption going on over there, that school should be competing in the top 10 nationally by now. Instead, after all of that cheating, they peaked with a tie for 1st place in their ACC division. I haven't seen them on any top 25 lists for this coming season. Sure, he seems better than Butch so far, but who's not?

Back