• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long College football thread

Why do you think the ref is making a prediction about whether it would hit the post and go in or go out? As I understand the rule he's just supposed to ask whether the ball is inside the plane of the pole. If not, it's no good. If so, it is. That's easily verifiable by camera technology.

I had to check the NCAA rules to know this for sure, but there is no written guidance provided to officials in this scenario. Specifically, there is no rule that the official is simply deciding whether the ball is inside the plane of the uprights or not. Considering the frequency with which a football hits the upright and goes through, I am assuming that approach is not employed. If it were used, then yes, it's a question of technology and your analogy to the ball carrier at the goaline is apt.

According to Mike Pereira:

"The rule in college football is that the entire ball must pass inside the inside edge of the upright."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-school-adopt-college-field-goal-rules-010314

If the ref concludes a field goal above the upright would have hit it had it been extended, it should be ruled no good. There is no more judgment here than in any touchdown situation.

That's interesting in that I can find no such clarification in the NCAA's published rules. Perhaps someone else can.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR15.pdf

ETA: And, forgive me, but Mike Pereira is a fucking moron. I find his claims about the rules of college football, or football in general, really, to be uncompelling.

Last edited:
ETA: And, forgive me, but Mike Pereira is a fucking moron. I find his claims about the rules of college football, or football in general, really, to be uncompelling.

I can agree with that. I found a few websites that said the same thing, but he had the most credibility of the sites I found in my 60 seconds of looking.

I also agree that the text of the rule itself isn't a model of clarity, but it never would have occurred to me that a ref would be making a prediction about what might happen if the ball hit a hypothetically extended upright.

In any event, it would seem the best resolution is to clarify the rulebook and stick a couple of cameras or lasers under the goalposts.

Last edited:
Why not just raise the damn goalposts so this doesnt happen? Seems like 5 feet higher and this wouldnt almost ever be an issue.

Definitely not rocket science but reconfiguring the specs on speciality equipment to make them longer ain't cheap.

Not to mention testing the additional length in windier regions of the country

Definitely not rocket science but reconfiguring the specs on speciality equipment to make them longer ain't cheap.

Not to mention testing the additional length in windier regions of the country

Ok, that does make more sense I guess. Still worth looking into IMO.

Re: the goalpost discussion.... Couldn't you simply super-impose two vertical lines, similar to the 1st down marker, that would extend well beyond the posts? Theoretically, they could extend to the clouds on a computer screen. Then if the football breaks that plane, it should be very easy to spot.

Simply expanding upon current technology and would minimize manufacturing and testing costs.

Good thing VT got all sappy and all but mandated that their new coach retain Foster. 52 to Tulsa???

According to Mike Pereira:

"The rule in college football is that the entire ball must pass inside the inside edge of the upright."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-school-adopt-college-field-goal-rules-010314

If the ref concludes a field goal above the upright would have hit it had it been extended, it should be ruled no good. There is no more judgment here than in any touchdown situation.

It is really very simple--in a game the ball must pass entirely inside the uprights to be a good field goal or extra point. If the kick were to go low enough to pass between the uprights it is obviously good. If the kick were to "boink" off an upright and bounce back onto the field it is obviously no good. If the kick were to hit an upright at the right angle and go on through behind the back of the end zone, it would have "passed thru" so the field goal is good. So if the official place over that upright sees the ball pass directly over that upright, the field goal or extra point is not good as it did not go between the uprights. The rule is the same in high school, college and the NFL.

if the ball goes over the goal posts, then it becomes a de facto judgment call because the official is, in essence, deciding whether the ball would have gone through had the kick been at or below the level of the uprights. it's a strange rule because i can't think of any other scoring play that's considered a judgment call. it's also weird in that it incentivizes the kicker to kick it lower than he's capable of, which is dumb because it increases the likelihood of a block. that said, unless we're going to start retrying the kicks, i'm not sure what the solution is.

The NFL made their uprights higher for the 2014 season, going from 30 to 35 feet, but it isn't as easy as one might think due to the structural engineering of the goal posts. And adding lasers to the end of the goal posts is not a simple solution either.

"The uprights that reach to the sky on NFL goalposts will be 5 feet higher this season.

The simple aim is to help officials better eyeball whether field goal tries that fly high split the uprights. But when it comes to making that structural change, the devil is in the details.

It's not just welding 5 extra feet of tubing atop the previously 30-foot uprights. Engineering goes into ensuring goalposts hold true when one kick might decide a game.

A quick fix won't cut it. That is because from a structural analysis standpoint, we had to make sure that the goalposts were going to be able to withstand the wind loads of all areas of the country," says David Moxley, director of sports construction sales for Sportsfield Specialities, Inc., (SSI), the New York firm handling the switch to its aluminum goalposts in 23 of the NFL's 31 stadiums.

Why not add 10 feet? Or 15? Moxley says that would really tax the engineering.

How about lasers atop the uprights? That would pose a challenge, too. Anybody who's watched a field goal try hit an upright and make that "bonk" sound as it caroms either way knows that can be iffy.

"As a purist of the game, think of how many field goals get bumped off the uprights and go in our out," says Moxley. "If you put a laser in ... you can't necessarily replicate the bounce of an upright. There's no bonk. That bounce can mean a lot of things with how the football is going."

All NFL goalposts this season will sit atop crossbars attached to goosenecks 10 feet above the ground, meaning the top of each post will extend 45 feet into the air (compared to 40 previously).

The change was proposed by the New England Patriots. In 2012, they lost 31-30 to the Baltimore Ravens after kicker Justin Tucker's 27-yard field goal flew higher than the top of the right upright.

A field goal can be reviewed on replay. But, according to the rules, only "when it is lower than the top of the uprights. "When you add 5 feet to the top and make them even heavier, I think we were concerned about how it would impact the game from a competitive standpoint," said McKay, who also serves as chairman of the NFL's competition committee. Moxley says installation takes a crew of three stadium workers about two hours, using ropes and a couple of 10-foot ladders. There's also bolting, measuring and leveling. Goalposts weigh roughly 500 pounds, but the extra 5 feet add nearly 20 pounds more."

Back