• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long College football thread

The SEC east has got to turn it around at some point, but sure doesn't look like it's going to be this year:
UGA - struggled with Vandy, QB situation looks bad
UT - blew 17 point lead vs. OU
UF - beat ECU by a touchdown
Mizzou - beat Arkansas St by a touchdown
USCjr - lost to UK

Throw in a couple games from the West and this weekend might've made the SEC look even worse that last bowl season:
AU - needs OT to beat FCS Jacksonville St
Arkansas - lost to Toledo

The SEC east has got to turn it around at some point, but sure doesn't look like it's going to be this year:
USCjr - lost to UK

Throw in a couple games from the West and this weekend might've made the SEC look even worse that last bowl season:

That would've been the football version of (D-II) Chaminade beating the Ralph Sampson led Virginia Cavaliers back in the early 80's.

I can't stand the SEC. They went a pedestrian 7-5 in bowls last year and this week showed that they aren't quite as good as the voters think they are.

Please, America, stop using bowl games as measuring sticks for teams and/or conferences. Yes, use Toledo beating Arkansas, J. State almost beating Auburn, etc. Bowl game records, except for the playoff, are meaningless.

That would've been the football version of (D-II) Chaminade beating the Ralph Sampson led Virginia Cavaliers back in the early 80's.

Would have, but didn't. Ten years from now no one will remember this, but no one will forget Appy St.

Jacksonville St beat Ole Miss a few years ago and played FSU tight not to long ago as well.

USCjr - lost to UK

Your sky-is-falling argument is weakened when two of the games you highlight were actually league games.

Please, America, stop using bowl games as measuring sticks for teams and/or conferences. Yes, use Toledo beating Arkansas, J. State almost beating Auburn, etc. Bowl game records, except for the playoff, are meaningless.

Bowl game records are meaningless only when the SEC isn't winning bowl games. Any other time, they are thumping their chests about how awesome they are.

Bowl game records are meaningless only when the SEC isn't winning bowl games. Any other time, they are thumping their chests about how awesome they are.

Correct. Bowl games are used by any obnoxious fan base to make useless points. You do realize that you just said the same thing I said?

I'm not sure how good the SEC is this year, but after a first visit to the Grove this weekend, I can say their tailgating scene remains very much on point.

Jacksonville St beat Ole Miss a few years ago and played FSU tight not to long ago as well.

Yeah, a few months after the Wake basketball team was ranked #1 in the nation.

Your sky-is-falling argument is weakened when two of the games you highlight were actually league games.

True, but everyone knows what Vandy and Kentucky are, and if you're struggling with them, it's not because they're very good.

(And I'm an SEC homer. Firmly in the camp that Arkansas was a pretty good team last year at 7-6. But Kentucky and Vandy are Kentucky and Vandy.)

Who really cares this early in the season? It all sorts itself out
Ask TCU from last season. These rankings frame the season and I believe it affects the voters/ playoff committee. TCU started the season unranked, tOSU 5th. A 1 loss preseason ranked #5 looks better than a preseason unranked TCU team.

Ask TCU from last season. These rankings frame the season and I believe it affects the voters/ playoff committee. TCU started the season unranked, tOSU 5th. A 1 loss preseason ranked #5 looks better than a preseason unranked TCU team.

I get what you're saying, but 2014 TCU is a bad example for your point considering they were ahead of OSU in the rankings for many weeks before the playoff teams were set. Unless you believe the committee was trolling us for many weeks and always intended to drop TCU, then the logical conclusion is that something happened late in the season, and not the pre- or early season ranking, that led to last year.

A better example would be Auburn in 2004. That was when USC and Oklahoma started 1 and 2, never lost, and kept AU - who started ranked around 17 - on the outside looking in.

True, but everyone knows what Vandy and Kentucky are, and if you're struggling with them, it's not because they're very good.

(And I'm an SEC homer. Firmly in the camp that Arkansas was a pretty good team last year at 7-6. But Kentucky and Vandy are Kentucky and Vandy.)

Can't argue with that.

Kentucky is much improved in what is now Stoops third year of rebuilding. They've got much better talent compared to their last few years. They should be competitive every game this year.

Yeah, but Vandy is still awful. Talentwise, UGA should have put them away in the first quarter but drives kept stalling due to bad QB play and rather conservative play calling.

Yeah, but Vandy is still awful. Talentwise, UGA should have put them away in the first quarter but drives kept stalling due to bad QB play and rather conservative play calling.

QB is about the only problem spot for UGA but obviously that's a bad place to have a problem. They've got the #2 rated HS QB in the country, #7 in the Scout 300, coming in next year. But with either Ramsey or Lambert at QB, they will continue to struggle this year. They won't be able to rely on just the running game, which is one of the best in they country, against Alabama.

Back