• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long College football thread

If Memphis wins out would they make the playoff or do they just need entirely too much help from Ole Miss?

Here are the current Top Ten in the Coaches poll (AP is roughly the same):

OSU
Baylor
TCU
LSU
Clemson
MI ST
AL
Stanford
ND
OK ST

If any four of those ten finish where they are, that is with zero or one loss, Memphis will be left out. Obviously some of them won't, since they play each other. But I can't see the committee bumping Memphis up over any of those teams with one or fewer losses.

Here are the current Top Ten in the Coaches poll (AP is roughly the same):

OSU
Baylor
TCU
LSU
Clemson
MI ST
AL
Stanford
ND
OK ST

If any four of those ten finish where they are, that is with zero or one loss, Memphis will be left out. Obviously some of them won't, since they play each other. But I can't see the committee bumping Memphis up over any of those teams with one or fewer losses.

Coaches poll & other polls have absolutely no bearing on where teams will be placed in the college football playoff rankings. The rankings are just a popularity contest and if they were doing it the right way, they would wait until at least October to even have the first vote. That said, it will be interesting to say the least where they place Memphis. Strength of schedule is one of their numerous criteria and using Jeff Sagarin's well known formulas, here are some of the top contenders/pretenders schedule strengths, whether now or down the road: [remember Ohio State started out as #16 in their first ranking last year--so nothing is out of the question with these key games starting up this weekend]

Memphis--8-0--#84 [27th in his ranking]
Baylor--7-0--#104 [3rd]
LSU--7-0--#37--[11th]
Clemson--8-0--#28 [2nd]
Ohio St--8-0--#68 [6th]
TCU--8-0--#53 [4th]
Michigan St--8-0--#59 [20th]
Alabama--7-1--#9 [1st]--only team in the nation to have beaten 4 Top 30 teams--where will this factor?
Stanford--7-1--#23 [10th]
Notre Dame--7-1--#16 [8th]
Ok St--8-0--#70 [14th]
Iowa--8-0--#47 [15th]
Houston--8-0--#124-- [25th]
FSU--7-1--#64 [17th]
UNC--7-1--#81 [23rd]

Clemson number one in the only poll that matters. LSU, OSU, Bama, ND, Baylor follow.

Coaches poll & other polls have absolutely no bearing on where teams will be placed in the college football playoff rankings. The rankings are just a popularity contest and if they were doing it the right way, they would wait until at least October to even have the first vote. That said, it will be interesting to say the least where they place Memphis. Strength of schedule is one of their numerous criteria and using Jeff Sagarin's well known formulas, here are some of the top contenders/pretenders schedule strengths, whether now or down the road: [remember Ohio State started out as #16 in their first ranking last year--so nothing is out of the question with these key games starting up this weekend]

Memphis--8-0--#84 [27th in his ranking]
Baylor--7-0--#104 [3rd]
LSU--7-0--#37--[11th]
Clemson--8-0--#28 [2nd]
Ohio St--8-0--#68 [6th]
TCU--8-0--#53 [4th]
Michigan St--8-0--#59 [20th]
Alabama--7-1--#9 [1st]--only team in the nation to have beaten 4 Top 30 teams--where will this factor?
Stanford--7-1--#23 [10th]
Notre Dame--7-1--#16 [8th]
Ok St--8-0--#70 [14th]
Iowa--8-0--#47 [15th]
Houston--8-0--#124-- [25th]
FSU--7-1--#64 [17th]
UNC--7-1--#81 [23rd]

I'll repeat. The committee that determines who gets in is not going to put Memphis in over any of those teams who end the season with zero or one loss. I understand that the fucking polls have no fucking bearing. But those are the teams the committee will be considering. Memphis will not make it unless enough of those teams pin an additional loss on each other.
Not gonna happen.

I'll repeat. The committee that determines who gets in is not going to put Memphis in over any of those teams who end the season with zero or one loss. I understand that the fucking polls have no fucking bearing. But those are the teams the committee will be considering. Memphis will not make it unless enough of those teams pin an additional loss on each other.
Not gonna happen.
And DUH, that is going to happen Short Stuff over the next 4-5 weeks. Maybe even to Memphis as they play Houston & Temple in AAC play. Time will tell.

And I will repeat, any poll with any kind of "voting" has no bearing on anything, thank goodness with this committee. They are basing it on football and who these teams have played and not some beauty contest, That is why I said we shall see what they say with Alabama at 7-1 and with their 4 teams beaten in the Top 30, as to how they will factor it--AND they did and very highly thank goodness. They put Memphis at #13 for right now which is very good. Higher than undefeated OK St & higher than 1 loss FSU or OK. Can they stay there? Don't know. It all depends on what they do, how they do it and what everybody else does in these next 5 weeks of games. But for right now they are better at #13 than Ohio St was at #16 last year in the first poll.

Any of the teams in this week's top 10 who win out will make the playoff. Guaranteed. You can most likely also add Stanford, Utah and Iowa to that list.

So relax everybody.

Any of the teams in this week's top 10 who win out will make the playoff. Guaranteed. You can most likely also add Stanford, Utah and Iowa to that list.

So relax everybody.

Plenty of football left Bill. Lots of big, huge games with lots of shuffling to go. The Big 12 just gets started & only 1 will emerge. Bama-LSU is this weekend. Clemson-FSU. Final game is ND-Stanford. Ohio St- Michigan, Ohio St- Mich St, Ohio St-Iowa. Florida-FSU. November is when it gets fun.

So relax everybody.

That's all I'm saying, particularly with regard to Memphis. The College Football Playoff top ten teams are identical to the AP top ten with the exception of one, FL, who is 10th in the AP and 11th in the Playoff rankings. Surprise! The order of teams is different, but those are the teams that are going to have or lose for Memphis to get in.

You know, I have to give kudos to TheReff for bringing his really unique brand of personal stupidity to so many threads over so many years. He's just reliable. He's the Tim Duncan of idiots.

Memphis is losing to Temple in 2 weeks anyways, so I don't know why we are having all this Memphis talk.

You know, I have to give kudos to TheReff for bringing his really unique brand of personal stupidity to so many threads over so many years. He's just reliable. He's the Tim Duncan of idiots.

I call this guy DOMINOS because he's always there to deliver cheap piping hot shit whenever you need him to

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DeacDiggler again.

And DUH, that is going to happen Short Stuff over the next 4-5 weeks. Maybe even to Memphis as they play Houston & Temple in AAC play. Time will tell.

And I will repeat, any poll with any kind of "voting" has no bearing on anything, thank goodness with this committee. They are basing it on football and who these teams have played and not some beauty contest, That is why I said we shall see what they say with Alabama at 7-1 and with their 4 teams beaten in the Top 30, as to how they will factor it--AND they did and very highly thank goodness. They put Memphis at #13 for right now which is very good. Higher than undefeated OK St & higher than 1 loss FSU or OK. Can they stay there? Don't know. It all depends on what they do, how they do it and what everybody else does in these next 5 weeks of games. But for right now they are better at #13 than Ohio St was at #16 last year in the first poll.

- Memphis will not be ranked among the Top 4 in the Final Poll. Sure, the committee might pull a "TCU" and rank them at some point among the Top 4 at some point, but when the Final Polls come out they will be left out because (1) The real premise of the CFP is to keep all the money within the Power Conferences (2) TV Ratings for their game will be low (The lowest rated BCS Games of all-time featured the teams from the Non-AQs, aka Boise St, TCU (when they were in Mountain West), Northern Illinois, UCF, etc) and (3) They don't have a big enough fan base to travel. I hate to be a cynic, but in the end the CFP is all about $$$$, and the majority of the money is divided among the Power Conferences. Most people believe the CFP was created to avoid another Bama vs. LSU BCSCG, but the other reason was to keep the teams from the Non-AQs out of the Final 4 as well. Had Boise St. or TCU ever played in the BCSCG and actually won, then it could had been disastrous for the Power Conferences because then it would have forced them to share more of the money with the Non-AQ conferences. Remember in 2009 when both Boise St and TCU were undefeated, but played each other in the Fiesta Bowl. Was it just by chance that these 2 played each other? The other "Major Programs" that were in the BCS that year were Ohio St, Oregon, Florida, Iowa, Georgia Tech (Cincy was also in the BCS, but I don't consider them a "Major Program"). Imagine, if not only Boise St but TCU both won their games against either Ohio St, Oregon, or Florida. It would have turned the College Football Universe on its head.

However, looking from an objective POV at an undefeated Memphis team who didn't just beat Ole Miss, but dominated them, and also have a very nice win on the road against Bowling Green (6-2) who should be playing the MAC Title Game (Yes, technically you can throw the win at Kansas (0-8) in mix as well, but they lost to South Dakota St and I would bet quite a few other FCS teams could beat Kansas too). Also, there SOS is about to go through the roof with remaining games against Navy (6-1), at Houston (8-0), at Temple (7-1); as well as, another game against Temple in the AAC Title Game (Assuming Memphis beats Houston, Temple is very close to clinching their division). If Memphis ran the table and remains undefeated, then I do believe they should be in the discussion among the Final Top 4.

- The team to watch and jump into the Final 4 like the way Ohio St did last year is FSU. If they win out, then that gives them wins at Clemson and at Florida. Also, they could possibly be playing a 1 loss UNC team in the ACC Title Game. Granted, not only does FSU have to win out, but they will most likely need another conference besides the Pac 12 without an undefeated team. At the moment, it is more than likely this could occur in the Big 12 where Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., and TCU all play one another, and could knock each other out. I do no believe a 1 loss Big 12 Champion would be in the Final Top 4 because (1) They have no conference title game, and we saw how that effected the Big 12 last year and (2) Besides Oklahoma, the other 3 schools didn't play anybody OOC (Unless you count TCU playing Minnesota (4-4)).

- I think there is a team that could "Crash" into the Final Top 4, and that is Iowa. They are a very quite 8-0 with wins at Wisconsin, at Northwestern, and Pitt. Also, they have probably the most underrated defense in the country, only allowing more than 20 points in 2 games, and have held teams to 14 or less points in 4 games. Granted, they play in the weaker division of the Big 10, but if they run the table and beat an undefeated Ohio St or Michigan St in the Big 10 Title Game, then I don't see how the CFP Committee leaves out an undefeated Big 10 Champion.

-There is a lot of CFB left, and I could see none of the current Top 4 teams among the Final Top 4. If Clemson loses to FSU, then they are done. If LSU, beats Bama, but loses to Florida in the SECCG, then they are done (This scenario includes Florida running the table the rest of the season because they would be a 1 loss SEC Champion). If Ohio St loses to Michigan St, then they are done. If Bama loses to LSU, then they are done. Also, just look at last years First Top 4 (Mississippi St, Ole Miss, FSU, and Auburn), only 1 was among the Final Top 4.

Last edited:
- Memphis will not be ranked among the Top 4 in the Final Poll. Sure, the committee might pull a "TCU" and rank them at some point among the Top 4 at some point, but when the Final Polls come out they will be left out because (1) The real premise of the CFP is to keep all the money within the Power Conferences (2) TV Ratings for their game will be low (The lowest rated BCS Games of all-time featured the teams from the Non-AQs, aka Boise St, TCU (when they were in Mountain West), Northern Illinois, UCF, etc) and (3) They don't have a big enough fan base to travel. I hate to be a cynic, but in the end the CFP is all about $$$$, and the majority of the money is divided among the Power Conferences. Most people believe the CFP was created to avoid another Bama vs. LSU BCSCG, but the other reason was to keep the teams from the Non-AQs out of the Final 4 as well. Had Boise St. or TCU ever played in the BCSCG and actually won, then it could had been disastrous for the Power Conferences because then it would have forced them to share more of the money with the Non-AQ conferences. Remember in 2009 when both Boise St and TCU were undefeated, but played each other in the Fiesta Bowl. Was it just by chance that these 2 played each other? The other "Major Programs" that were in the BCS that year were Ohio St, Oregon, Florida, Iowa, Georgia Tech (Cincy was also in the BCS, but I don't consider them a "Major Program"). Imagine, if not only Boise St but TCU both won their games against either Ohio St, Oregon, or Florida. It would have turned the College Football Universe on its head.

However, looking from an objective POV at an undefeated Memphis team who didn't just beat Ole Miss, but dominated them, and also have a very nice win on the road against Bowling Green (6-2) who should be playing the MAC Title Game (Yes, technically you can throw the win at Kansas (0-8) in mix as well, but they lost to South Dakota St and I would bet quite a few other FCS teams could beat Kansas too). Also, there SOS is about to go through the roof with remaining games against Navy (6-1), at Houston (8-0), at Temple (7-1); as well as, another game against Temple in the AAC Title Game (Assuming Memphis beats Houston, Temple is very close to clinching their division). If Memphis ran the table and remains undefeated, then I do believe they should be in the discussion among the Final Top 4.

- The team to watch and jump into the Final 4 like the way Ohio St did last year is FSU. If they win out, then that gives them wins at Clemson and at Florida. Also, they could possibly be playing a 1 loss UNC team in the ACC Title Game. Granted, not only does FSU have to win out, but they will most likely need another conference besides the Pac 12 without an undefeated team. At the moment, it is more than likely this could occur in the Big 12 where Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., and TCU all play one another, and could knock each other out. I do no believe a 1 loss Big 12 Champion would be in the Final Top 4 because (1) They have no conference title game, and we saw how that effected the Big 12 last year and (2) Besides Oklahoma, the other 3 schools didn't play anybody OOC (Unless you count TCU playing Minnesota (4-4)).

- I think there is a team that could "Crash" into the Final Top 4, and that is Iowa. They are a very quite 8-0 with wins at Wisconsin, at Northwestern, and Pitt. Also, they have probably the most underrated defense in the country, only allowing more than 20 points in 2 games, and have held teams to 14 or less points in 4 games. Granted, they play in the weaker division of the Big 10, but if they run the table and beat an undefeated Ohio St or Michigan St in the Big 10 Title Game, then I don't see how the CFP Committee leaves out an undefeated Big 10 Champion.

-There is a lot of CFB left, and I could see none of the current Top 4 teams among the Final Top 4. If Clemson loses to FSU, then they are done. If LSU, beats Bama, but loses to Florida in the SECCG, then they are done (This scenario includes Florida running the table the rest of the season because they would be a 1 loss SEC Champion). If Ohio St loses to Michigan St, then they are done. If Bama loses to LSU, then they are done. Also, just look at last years First Top 4 (Mississippi St, Ole Miss, FSU, and Auburn), only 1 was among the Final Top 4.

You are right Bama. It is only getting started and this first ranking only gets us going and lets a lot of teams know that the committee is serious about strength of schedule. But that said, this Top 4 can and will change a lot over the next few weeks just because now most of these teams start playing each other due to all this back end scheduling. It was good to see Memphis get some love for their unbeaten record AND the win at Ole Miss but now they don't play anybody but AAC teams so it would take strange things to happen but they could keep creeping up. Plus they need to keep winning large. And like you said about Iowa, they will probably end up at 12-0 for the regular season, so if they happen to beat Ohio St or Michigan St in the Big 10 title game, they would have to be in.

So funny how people are freaking out the current playoff rankings. They are meaningless. Last year, tOSU was #16 at in the first set of rankings, and they won the whole thing. The process has not come close to shaking out.

These fundamental rules will decide who gets in the 4 team playoff:

- Any BCS team that is undefeated will get in the playoff
- Any 1 loss SEC team that wins the SEC title will get in
- The Big 12 team that survives the round robin between OK State, OK, TCU and Baylor with only 1 loss or less will get in over any non-SEC 1 loss team.
- The Committee does value strength of OOC schedule so if everything else is equal, playing legit OOC foes may be the tiebreaker versus a team that does not play legit OOC foes. Baylor's pathetic OOC schedule killed them last year, and may hurt them again this year.

Also, ND getting in causes major problems for everyone. The playoff championship was set up with the begrudging understanding that each year one BCS champion is getting left out (last year it was the Big 12 champ). If ND gets in, at least two BCS conference champs get left out. That will cause major problems (and maybe a playoff xpansion to 6 or 8 teams). Finally, the mess that every committee member hopes to avoid is Ole Miss winning out to win the SEC (they do control their own destiny, and LSU still has to play at Ole Miss), and Memphis winning out. Would be hard to take a two loss Ole Miss team over an undefeated Memphis team that dominated the Rebels head to head. Would take balls to take the American conference champion over the SEC champion.

Finally, when projecting the 4 team playoff, at this point in the season, the public and experts always vastly overestimate the number of teams that will go undefeated. Over the last 5 college football seasons, only 3 BCS programs with bowl eligible teams have finished the regular season undefeated (FSU in 2013 and 2014; Oregon and Auburn in 2010... That is it). More likely than not that every current college football undefeated will lose before the bowls start. So, any team currently in the top 16 has a legit shot to get in.

LSU was undefeated the year they lost the championship to Alabama.

Battle of the schools where we poached our last 2 coaches from tonight, Ohio U. vs. Bowling Green.

Back