• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SEC Expansion Comes Up Again

ELC,

WE can probably debate this one for a while, but I don't think OU has the TV viewership markets or draw to go independent. I will cite some athletic department and football revenue from Sports Business Daily:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...p-Revenue-Producers-In-College-Athletics.aspx

I think they are great program with an amazignly loyal fan base, but they simply do not have Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio's television audience or draw. I got it, Dallas is just as close to Norman as it is to Austin. But OU is in a predicament tougher than A&M. A&M and its boosters are ready to head to the SEC and I would love to see it. It would be very interesting to see what would happen to the recruiting dynamic in Texas.

Last edited:
I think it's possible than the ACC would try and snag a team from the SEC -- Kentucky would be the ideal get. And Kentucky football could have a fighting chance in the ACC. I would love to see the ACC get Vanderbilt and Kentucky and the SEC take A&M and OU, and then Kansas and Missouri would try and get into the Big Ten. Kansas State would seem Moutain West bound or something like that. Texas Tech would be hosed unless Texas decides to stay independent. The Pac 10 would like to pick up a Texas team, I would bet.

Actually, I would like the ACC to get Vandy, Kentucky, Syracuse, and UConn or West Virginia or Pitt. Put a dagger in Big East football.

Syracuse and BC were the whole reason the ACC expanded in the first place. Boston and New York TV markets. The fact that Syracuse got jonsed by UVa for Virginia Tech really hurt BC. BC had a solid Big East area following and lost it all when Syracuse got left at the alter.

No team in the SEC would willingly leave it for the ACC. The money/TV is simply so much better that its not even close.

ELC,

WE can probably debate this one for a while, but I don't think OU has the TV viewership markets or draw to go independent. I will cite some athletic department and football revenue from Sports Business Daily:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...p-Revenue-Producers-In-College-Athletics.aspx

I think they are great program with an amazignly loyal fan base, but they simply do not have Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio's television audience or draw. I got it, Dallas is just as close to Norman as it is to Austin. But OU is in a predicament tougher than A&M. A&M and its boosters are ready to head to the SEC and I would love to see it. It would be very interesting to see what would happen to the recruiting dynamic in Texas.

Interesting list. Surprised at Wisconsin and Oklahoma State.

That list illustrates why football is so important to the fiscal health of the conference.

ELC,

I don't see why tv markets would matter at all when it comes to going independent. They can do it if they so choose, and would be a huge draw to any conference wanting to scoop them up. Not sure what the TV ratings indicate lately, but they were always a top draw in the 70s and 80s to the point where it was they and not Notre Dame who was originally approached with the tv deal by NBC. However, a condition at the time was that they had to go indy and they didn't want to lose their traditional rivalries, so they refused. Sure, that was 20-25 years ago, but they have a loyal and widespread fanbase as you said. Those revenue stats don't really tell the whole story.

I guess what you're saying is that to go indy, they'd need to come up with a tv deal to continue the revenue stream. I suppose there is some truth in that, but I also suspect they'd be able to pull something off.

Back